XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

HA,

ECU is the fueling control mystery unit tucked up inside the RH buttross.

The 6 and 16, NO idea. The 6 was the original unit and did its task well within the limitations of the technology of the time. Somewhere around late '86 came the 16 unit, with vastly improved lectrickery bits and data processing, and much improved reliability.

Worry not about it, it needs no looking after.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
orangeblossom (08-27-2014), paulyling (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Paul, you'll undoubtedly hear stories from folks whose XJSs have never even chirped the tires. Something is wrong with their XJSs. Be glad yours appears to be in good tune and exhibiting normal behavior.
I agree, my XJ6 chirps on a regular basis(flooring it in first)
,chirped in the dry quite a few times. But usually when taking off from stand still on a left turn at an intersection.

Originally Posted by paulyling
ha ha...the whole experience gives me "Goose Bumps". I mean im not really a hooner or anything but its nice to know the power is there when I need it.
I'm cool with goose bumps,I'm quite happy to hoon in your car for you next time you are in Brisbane. I reckon I can make those new Pirelli's chirp.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
orangeblossom (08-27-2014), paulyling (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

no worries. Cool so the Blue Goose's ECU is better than the original spec. Groovy. Im gonna give her an extra pat in the morning.

Best I dont know where it is so the temptation isnt there to tinker. Electronics is up my alley ha ha ha.

Ha ha, i gotta treat those Pirelli's nice...for a while. If my Mrs found out how much each tyre cost me she might come at me with the Butchers knife!

Next expense....the radio. I cant truly experience the ride until my music is in order. Local radio sucks.

But speaking of listening. Man I love the sound of that V12. It makes a kinda quiet windy sound ( dont know how to explain it) when i put down the throttle and you can just feel that power. Its freakin awesome yet bizzare at the same time. I get hoons in my street that feel their engines have to be as loud as possible so I know whey are running up my street, but i dunno, the Goose just does it with extreme elegance.

It doesnt need to be loud.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (08-27-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 01:36 AM

well i went out and got my blanking cap today. Gonna wait until the Goose cools down and pop er on. Then will monitor fluids.

Also picked up a new head unit today which I am gonna install tonight:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-87190/page11/

Also, since getting the Goose i have taken over the garage which was once a TV room for the kids. I have found a comprimise. It is called "Drive in Movies"

Attached Thumbnails The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-drivein.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Looks like fun! Get yer kids hooked on Jags!

The following 2 users liked this post by Mkii250:
orangeblossom (08-27-2014), paulyling (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 04:58 PM

Well im happy as a pig in mud. I got my new head unit install and ready to cruise!

Old 08-26-2014, 10:59 PM

Took Wifey for her first ever cruise today. I think she secretly liked it. She's not a real fan of cars.

It helped that I was bumpin the 80s so she was singin along whilst we cruised the beach front. I also wanted to show er what the Goose could do on the Freeway but there was bloody road works crampin my style!

Old 08-27-2014, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Paulyling, if you like the sound of the V-12 now, add some "growler" air cleaners and R-E-A-L-L-Y enjoy the sound! Also flipping the trans kickdown switch to the top of the plate will give you kickdown at 3/4 throttle vice WOT for more spirited driving.

If you look at the top left of the picture you will see the kickdown switch placed on top of the plate so that the throttle arm contacts it at 3/4 throttle, also look just below and you'll see the en-richer switch next to the capstan, this must "make" just before the kickdown to enrich the mixture at the nozzles just before kickdown.

Name:  coil3_zps0a5f2a73.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  51.2 KB

Last edited by JTsmks; 08-27-2014 at 06:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
orangeblossom (08-27-2014), paulyling (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 AM

Paulyling, if you like the sound of the V-12 now, add some "growler" air cleaners and R-E-A-L-L-Y enjoy the sound! Also flipping the trans kickdown switch to the top of the plate will give you kickdown at 3/4 throttle vice WOT for more spirited driving.

If you look at the top left of the picture you will see the kickdown switch placed on top of the plate so that the throttle arm contacts it at 3/4 throttle, also look just below and you'll see the en-richer switch next to the capstan, this must "make" just before the kickdown to enrich the mixture at the nozzles just before kickdown.
Damn JT that sounds awesome! Now bare with me, remembering I am but a beginner, do you mean the little microswitch that sits there on the throttle disk? Once you reach a certain point on the throttle, the disk hits the little microswitch, and drops her down to 2nd gear right? So you mean to move this switch so as the gear change happens sooner? (Forgive me for my ignorance). Im I in the ball park?

Does this have any detriment on the engine?

And what were the type of air filters you were referring too? Does the filter media allow a different sound as the air passes through? Sounds really cool

Look forward to hearing back from ya mate.

Also, thought I might post some interior pics of the Goose. Shes in pretty good shape save for a few things to be expected from a 29 year old car.

With cracked wood grain, Im guessing you'd have to tear it out and replace right? No other solution?

Any hints on cleaning the inside of yours and keeping her lookin chipper?

Attached Thumbnails The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140827_081110.jpg   The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140827_081051.jpg   The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140827_081210.jpg   The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140827_081131.jpg   The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140827_081316.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by paulyling:
Dukejag (07-04-2018), Flint Ironstag (08-27-2014), orangeblossom (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

No, the one next to the potentiometer (capstan) is the en-richer (hit it at idle and she'll "pick up" as the ECU sends "more fuel" signal to the injectors. The one I mean is right where the throttle cable is mounted just before the cable enters the capstan there is a plate and under that plate is a micro switch that provides "kick down" ie "passing gear" that will only "click" with your foot planted firmly through the floor. Pulling it off and flipping it to the top of the plate allows the throttle arm to contact it at 3/4 throttle vice full foot through the floor.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Damn JT that sounds awesome! Now bare with me, remembering I am but a beginner, do you mean the little microswitch that sits there on the throttle disk? Once you reach a certain point on the throttle, the disk hits the little microswitch, and drops her down to 2nd gear right? So you mean to move this switch so as the gear change happens sooner? (Forgive me for my ignorance). Im I in the ball park? Does this have any detriment on the engine? And what were the type of air filters you were referring too? Does the filter media allow a different sound as the air passes through? Sounds really cool Look forward to hearing back from ya mate. Also, thought I might post some interior pics of the Goose. Shes in pretty good shape save for a few things to be expected from a 29 year old car. With cracked wood grain, Im guessing you'd have to tear it out and replace right? No other solution? Any hints on cleaning the inside of yours and keeping her lookin chipper?
These are the intakes,and YES they make a BIG difference in the sound plus I had my mid mufflers removed. The kick down hitting at 3/4 has no detriment on the engine, if anything these engines prefer NOT to be babied.

http://www.v12performance.com/kit.html

Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 PM

No, the one next to the potentiometer (capstan) is the en-richer (hit it at idle and she'll "pick up" as the ECU sends "more fuel" signal to the injectors. The one I mean is right where the throttle cable is mounted just before the cable enters the capstan there is a plate and under that plate is a micro switch that provides "kick down" ie "passing gear" that will only "click" with your foot planted firmly through the floor. Pulling it off and flipping it to the top of the plate allows the throttle arm to contact it at 3/4 throttle vice full foot through the floor.
Gday JT thanks the reply. Im lovin this as a learning experience, because as you know, Im pretty green with it all.

So....i took a look under my bonnet. Now are you referring to the rotating part that is pulled by your throttle cable, as the Capstan?

Under mine there is only one micro switch. By operating it by my hand it looks like when the pedal is pushed to the floor, the cable pulls the rotating disk around which eventually makes contact with the micro switch at about 180 degrees turn from the original position. With this contact closure, does this not send the signal to change gears? (red circle)

It appears there also used to be a micro switch fitted where i have put the green circle, near the throttle cable. Maybe this is the cause of my confusion as I dont have the same set up as yours.

I thought maybe it is because my XJS is the year earlier (1985) however it appears there used to be something there as there is a mark left behind.

I also checked out the air intake pack you linked me. I understand it alot better now.

Thanks for all the info. Im learning everyday.

Well, tomorrow im gonna take the Goose for a country driving. Lots of hills and beautiful scenery to behold up in the Maleny, Montville area.

Question. I have a very steep hill to traverse down on the way home. Would you guys recommend i drop the Goose down to the 2nd gear whilst i climb down the hill? Well this help to go easy on the brakes?

Clarke how do you go with Fireball down that big bloody hill from Maleny down to Landsbrough?

later guys

Attached Thumbnails The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-20140828_131307.jpg  
Old 08-28-2014, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member

Gday JT thanks the reply. Im lovin this as a learning experience, because as you know, Im pretty green with it all. So....i took a look under my bonnet. Now are you referring to the rotating part that is pulled by your throttle cable, as the Capstan? Under mine there is only one micro switch. By operating it by my hand it looks like when the pedal is pushed to the floor, the cable pulls the rotating disk around which eventually makes contact with the micro switch at about 180 degrees turn from the original position. With this contact closure, does this not send the signal to change gears? (red circle) It appears there also used to be a micro switch fitted where i have put the green circle, near the throttle cable. Maybe this is the cause of my confusion as I dont have the same set up as yours. I thought maybe it is because my XJS is the year earlier (1985) however it appears there used to be something there as there is a mark left behind. I also checked out the air intake pack you linked me. I understand it alot better now. Thanks for all the info. Im learning everyday. Well, tomorrow im gonna take the Goose for a country driving. Lots of hills and beautiful scenery to behold up in the Maleny, Montville area. Question. I have a very steep hill to traverse down on the way home. Would you guys recommend i drop the Goose down to the 2nd gear whilst i climb down the hill? Well this help to go easy on the brakes? Clarke how do you go with Fireball down that big bloody hill from Maleny down to Landsbrough? later guys
The switch in the green circle is the kick down and gets moved to the top and the one in the red circle is the en-richer and should be engaged just before the kick down makes. Putting the switch in the green circle to the top allows the throttle arm to hit the switch vice the cable and allows the kick down to engage at a more appropriate time for more "spirited" driving vice only coming in at WOT.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
The switch in the green circle is the kick down and gets moved to the top and the one in the red circle is the en-richer and should be engaged just before the kick down makes. Putting the switch in the green circle to the top allows the throttle arm to hit the switch vice the cable and allows the kick down to engage at a more appropriate time for more "spirited" driving vice only coming in at WOT.
Holy smokes! I just realized your missing your kick down switch!!! WTH?? I hate DPO's! Now we have to figure out why yours is missing and if the wires are still there? Being an 85 makes no difference it should have the kick down unless someone has moved it elsewhere or for some bizarre reason removed it altogether. I guess the first thing is did someone switch out the T400 transmission?

Old 08-28-2014, 05:30 AM

Cheers bud. This is why i love this forum. In just a few threads you have me googling what is WOT ( no pun intended) and kickdown ( i told you im green ) but nah this is great. Your information has me searching for more information.

To be honest, as interested i am on the subject, ill leave the Goose her quiet ellegance for now, but JT i really appreciate the info mate. Sounds like your switched on. Another question for you though:

* You have a loud and roaring V8 going up and down the street. You can hear it a mile a way. Everybody knows its coming.
* You have a quiet and ellegant v12.

What would make the V8 have more grunt and power (ie able to go faster quicker) when compared to a V12? I understand this mighten be a simple answer but just curious. I mean the V8 obviously SOUNDS alot more powerful, but would this necessarily be the case?

Also, I understand Jag had some success with the XJS back in the late 80s on the racing circuit but kinda dropped off after that. Were they racing other V12's back then?

Anyways, i appreciate the discussion. Might post some pics tomorrow of my cruise. Gotta take the lady out tomorrow so hoping the Goose behaves

Attached Thumbnails The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner-8234364460_d90ce27c1d.jpg  
Old 08-28-2014, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member

Cheers bud. This is why i love this forum. In just a few threads you have me googling what is WOT ( no pun intended) and kickdown ( i told you im green ) but nah this is great. Your information has me searching for more information. To be honest, as interested i am on the subject, ill leave the Goose her quiet ellegance for now, but JT i really appreciate the info mate. Sounds like your switched on. Another question for you though: * You have a loud and roaring V8 going up and down the street. You can hear it a mile a way. Everybody knows its coming. * You have a quiet and ellegant v12. What would make the V8 have more grunt and power (ie able to go faster quicker) when compared to a V12? I understand this mighten be a simple answer but just curious. I mean the V8 obviously SOUNDS alot more powerful, but would this necessarily be the case? Also, I understand Jag had some success with the XJS back in the late 80s on the racing circuit but kinda dropped off after that. Were they racing other V12's back then? Anyways, i appreciate the discussion. Might post some pics tomorrow of my cruise. Gotta take the lady out tomorrow so hoping the Goose behaves
WOT is "wide open throttle" ie, foot through the floor, kick down is passing gear and I'd seriously wonder where your switch is and if the passing gear switch is there at all. One of the biggest obstacles to the V-12 having "grunt" is it's mated to a 2:88 rear gear set and an archaic T400 3 speed auto box. There were far better options available when our cars were new, Jaguar for some reason chose not to use them.

paulyling (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Paul, all the best on your 'date' - having owned and liberal access to a ton of what I consider super sexy automobiles over the years, nothing and I mean NOTHING compares to the XJS as a knicker peeler.

paulyling (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Not to dispute Flints personal observations on the XJS being a "knicker peeler" I find it interesting that my 97, XJ6L in Titanium Pearl seems to have a far greater effect on the opposite sex then my Black, XJS. I get tons of complements from guys (I know, weird huh) on the XJS but constant attention and compliments from woman when out and about on the X300. No matter how you slice it in the automobile world a Jaguar gets the "Job Done" in a way no other make can, from coupes to convertibles to saloons! Side note, my friends 91, XJS coupe in oyster with wires and three eared knock-offs REALLY seems to be the best "lure" by far!

Flint Ironstag (08-28-2014), paulyling (08-28-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Never would have imagined that the post XJ40 sedans had that effect... /goes off to check ebay prices, just because

paulyling (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 03:30 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I have a very steep hill to traverse down on the way home. Would you guys recommend i drop the Goose down to the 2nd gear whilst i climb down the hill? Well this help to go easy on the brakes?[/B]

Clarke how do you go with Fireball down that big bloody hill from Maleny down to Landsbrough?

later guys
Much faster than I take the "Razorback Road" from Monteville to Woombye or the "Goat Track" from Tamborine Mountain to Cunungra. Tried them all with Fireball, all of them are superb bike roads. Your car is built to be enjoyed,brake pads wear out(and they are cheap and easy to replace). Drive it with the enthusiasm it was built for,worry about the brakes when you have to.

paulyling (08-29-2014)

Quick Reply: The Blue Goose: Adventures of a first time Jag owner