XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

brake overhaul - wired bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoppy
that price was JagDaim. $288 /side bearing and O ring plus $20 for pinion seal and rear gasket....apparently '90 XJS = Dana
I usually get most of my parts through Jagdaim as they generally have it all in stock and are priced reasonably and service is pretty much 24-48 hours to Brisbane.

I ordered all my front suspension parts at 3pm yesterday,already in the post.

I found their bearing prices too high and started to do a search. I went to BSC armed with make/model of car and diff,as well as my book with exploded view of the diff. The guys there took a while but gave me a quote with bearing part numbers/dimensions etc of all bearings, Came to $556
with 2 x output shaft bearings, oil seal(pinion), Pinion bearing front and rear, and 2 x crown wheel bearings.

Armed with this knowledge I searched ebay and amazon until I found what I wanted. Had to get the crown wheel bearings from BSC. I got the crush spacer, seals and o-rings from Jagdaim.

Total cost of parts was well under $300 for parts, but it did take a lot of time to source the parts at the right price.

Mine is a Salisbury diff, Dana might be a different story for sourcing parts. But I usually find what I need eventually on line at the right price.(cars or bikes)

I spent not a great deal over $600 to do diff, calipers and handbrake calipers and cable.

brake overhaul - wired bolts-dsc_9242.jpgbrake overhaul - wired bolts-dsc_9243.jpgbrake overhaul - wired bolts-dsc_9250.jpgbrake overhaul - wired bolts-dsc_9254.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 10-17-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

lower bolt RHS the head of the bolt hit the diff housing before it cleared the mounting flange for the caliper...
So all I had to do was pull the rotor off to loosen the flange bolts to give me clearance to remove the bolt so I could take off the caliper so that I could remove the rotor...

Attached Thumbnails brake overhaul - wired bolts-irs-out.jpg   brake overhaul - wired bolts-jammed-caliper-bolt.jpg   brake overhaul - wired bolts-wired-bolts-2.jpg   brake overhaul - wired bolts-final-drive-unit.jpg  
Old 10-19-2014, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
I usually get most of my parts through Jagdaim as they generally have it all in stock and are priced reasonably and service is pretty much 24-48 hours to Brisbane.

I ordered all my front suspension parts at 3pm yesterday,already in the post.

I found their bearing prices too high and started to do a search. I went to BSC armed with make/model of car and diff,as well as my book with exploded view of the diff. The guys there took a while but gave me a quote with bearing part numbers/dimensions etc of all bearings, Came to $556
with 2 x output shaft bearings, oil seal(pinion), Pinion bearing front and rear, and 2 x crown wheel bearings.

Armed with this knowledge I searched ebay and amazon until I found what I wanted. Had to get the crown wheel bearings from BSC. I got the crush spacer, seals and o-rings from Jagdaim.

Total cost of parts was well under $300 for parts, but it did take a lot of time to source the parts at the right price.

Mine is a Salisbury diff, Dana might be a different story for sourcing parts. But I usually find what I need eventually on line at the right price.(cars or bikes)

I spent not a great deal over $600 to do diff, calipers and handbrake calipers and cable.

Attachment 98434Attachment 98435Attachment 98436Attachment 98437
Okay, I haven't put THAT much effort into this, including going to the store to see what is actually printed on the bearing and I have no need to, because I am not replacing those bearings. However, I found it extremely hard to believe the output shaft bearings go for 130-200 dollars, which IS what they go for on every jaguar site.
BUT, these are just f$%king timken roller bearings, there is nothing special about them. On several sites I can read the part number, not the jaguar part number of JLM290, but the timken number JRM3564XD.

So if anyone has this junk apart, and wants to check it out. I found that THESE
bearings are the same part number. Apparently sometimes you get an SKF set, and you have to make sure you are getting the roller and not the ball, but 45 bucks compared to 200 for the ones sold in a jaguar listing???

Holy cow, if i am right on that, it is worth a bit of time looking into the matter. Not only is it waaaaaayyy cheaper, you can run up the street and buy it at autozone!

this started out as a HOW the hell did you spend 600 dollars on a handful of bearings, because i know the others are between 25-60, but when i found the price of the output bearings, I had to look into it...

Last edited by sidescrollin; 10-19-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

nice work Sidescrollin - I had had not put that much effort in as I am not replacing the bearings at this point. rest assured there will be more research if the IRS comes out again! bearing sizes/types and also seal sizes and dimensions are all essential information, as you implied Jaguar do not make their own, and it comes down to who has the best deal at the time