XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Which Color/Colour is the Easiest to keep Clean?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Which Color/Colour is the Easiest to keep Clean?

Does your XJS always look clean, even when you haven't washed Her for a while, or does She seem to attract the Dust like a 'Magnet?'

Does anyone have an XJS in a Non-Standard Custom Color/Colour

If so please Post a Photo/s, so that We can 'drool' all over it.

My Dorchester Grey XJS is a 'nightmare' to keep clean and always needs to be washed before I go out, even if I've washed Her only the day before, or She will show the Watermarks like you would not believe.

While my Arctic Blue one never shows up any Dust or Watermarks at all but is sadly out of action with a bit of a Brake Problem at the moment.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,906 Likes on 1,661 Posts

My white one hardly ever looked dirty (apart from the deer blood of course).
Darker ones seem to show up the crud much more visibly.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-01-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 10:40 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd always thought that white cars would be hardest to keep clean, but was frequently corrected that black was even harder.

A friend of mine had a black Mustang that would turn to a sort of semi-gloss dark graphite when it was dirty. It was actually quite attractive. It gave the car a sort of no-nonsense look so long as you didn't get too close. It was just as beautiful after a good polish, too.

Meanwhile, my nimbus white XJS gets the smallest streak of dirty washer fluid on the paint, and her whole look is ruined.

That being said, I maintain that a white car is harder to keep clean.

I'm kind of surprised Dorchester grey would be more difficult to maintain than arctic blue, though.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:18 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

My solid red XJS is not bad when it comes to looking good after washed or wiped down. The dark blue one on the other hand is almost as bad as black. Seems like the darker the color the easier it is to see every little spec of dust etc.

To my eye silver is one of the easiest colors on a car to keep clean as it seams to hide dust etc. the best.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:04 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

At least it should be metallic.
I used to have a silver Honda and however it got dirty it didn't look so bad.
My X300 was nautilus blue and it wasn't bad either, while the XJS I have now is regency red and it gets dirty soon.
Pale metallic color will be better, I think.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
My white one hardly ever looked dirty (apart from the deer blood of course).
Darker ones seem to show up the crud much more visibly.
What do you mean 'Looked' Steve?

Does that mean that the 'White One' is no longer with us?

Old 03-01-2015, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stargazer XJS
I'd always thought that white cars would be hardest to keep clean, but was frequently corrected that black was even harder.

A friend of mine had a black Mustang that would turn to a sort of semi-gloss dark graphite when it was dirty. It was actually quite attractive. It gave the car a sort of no-nonsense look so long as you didn't get too close. It was just as beautiful after a good polish, too.

Meanwhile, my nimbus white XJS gets the smallest streak of dirty washer fluid on the paint, and her whole look is ruined.

That being said, I maintain that a white car is harder to keep clean.

I'm kind of surprised Dorchester grey would be more difficult to maintain than arctic blue, though.
Never wash 'Dorchester Grey' on a Hot Sunny day! or there will be Watermarks all over the place.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
My solid red XJS is not bad when it comes to looking good after washed or wiped down. The dark blue one on the other hand is almost as bad as black. Seems like the darker the color the easier it is to see every little spec of dust etc.

To my eye silver is one of the easiest colors on a car to keep clean as it seams to hide dust etc. the best.
Yup! Absolutely agree with you on those Colors.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Japthug
At least it should be metallic.
I used to have a silver Honda and however it got dirty it didn't look so bad.
My X300 was nautilus blue and it wasn't bad either, while the XJS I have now is regency red and it gets dirty soon.
Pale metallic color will be better, I think.
That's Bizzare! As my Regency Red one doesn't seem to show the dirt (or should I say dust!)

Old 03-01-2015, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
What do you mean 'Looked' Steve?

Does that mean that the 'White One' is no longer with us?

Sold it two years ago - I couldn't afford to keep it pristine so decided to sell it and get something tatty so got a V12 Cabriolet (Scabby Cabby).
Turned out to be too tatty even for me so traded it in for work on an XJR-s that I accidentally bought on EBay (drunk bidding!) which was quite tidy if somewhat mechanically unsound.
It is now reasonably mechanically sound but getting somewhat tatty but I have boxes and shelves of bits ready to fit when I get time.
My job has changed somewhat recently so I am working 2 weeks on 2 weeks off which gives me a better opportunity to attack things logically and finish one job before starting another.
And of course my 1 year restoration/refurbishment of The Admiral is now entering its 4th year but I will definitely, maybe, possibly get that finished this year. And get to go out on it more than 3 times this year which will be nice.
Now all I have to do is resist the temptation to get 3.6 manual Cabby to drive around in whilst I am doing up the XJR-s.
In the meantime I am off down the pub to watch the rugby, drink beer and talk bollocks with my mates.
It's what Sundays are for.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
LuvmyXJS' (03-01-2015), orangeblossom (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
Sold it two years ago - I couldn't afford to keep it pristine so decided to sell it and get something tatty so got a V12 Cabriolet (Scabby Cabby).
Turned out to be too tatty even for me so traded it in for work on an XJR-s that I accidentally bought on EBay (drunk bidding!) which was quite tidy if somewhat mechanically unsound.
It is now reasonably mechanically sound but getting somewhat tatty but I have boxes and shelves of bits ready to fit when I get time.
My job has changed somewhat recently so I am working 2 weeks on 2 weeks off which gives me a better opportunity to attack things logically and finish one job before starting another.
And of course my 1 year restoration/refurbishment of The Admiral is now entering its 4th year but I will definitely, maybe, possibly get that finished this year. And get to go out on it more than 3 times this year which will be nice.
Now all I have to do is resist the temptation to get 3.6 manual Cabby to drive around in whilst I am doing up the XJR-s.
In the meantime I am off down the pub to watch the rugby, drink beer and talk bollocks with my mates.
It's what Sundays are for.
Is the Admiral an XJS or a Boat?

The Car must come first Steve, get your priorities right! (lol)

Old 03-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Solent Blue and shows every speck of dust.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

That's Bizzare! As my Regency Red one doesn't seem to show the dirt (or should I say dust!)
That's maybe the kind of dust is different... I lacked that point of view.
In Japan, a lot of yellow sand fly from China in spring, and it is really bad! The yellowish dust on a regency red body looks sooo dirty.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d
Solent Blue and shows every speck of dust.
I'm beginning to think that all Colors do, so maybe we're being a bit too obsessively picky.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Japthug
That's maybe the kind of dust is different... I lacked that point of view.
In Japan, a lot of yellow sand fly from China in spring, and it is really bad! The yellowish dust on a regency red body looks sooo dirty.
In that case it looks as though 'Yellow' could be a popular Color for an XJS in China.

Japthug (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

light colored cars rarely look dirty, metallic cars are even better. Used to have a dark grey metallic car that looks almost completely clean during pollen season.

BRG gets dirty like nobodies business, it still looks clean from 10-15 feet though.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Is the Admiral an XJS or a Boat?

The Car must come first Steve, get your priorities right! (lol)

As much as I love my XJS she doesn't have a 32 inch 3D Smart TV with matched Bluray player and soundbar, a 3 seat Oxblood Chesterfield 'Gentleman's sofa' and a cream suede swivel chair within twisting distance of the beer fridge and all the remotes (which also control the LED lighting).
Sometimes, after a 'swift' hour in the Jaaaaaag, it's nice to potter off down stream, tie up outside a pub, have a few scoops, and then go back on board and watch somebody else get all busy in 3D.
It's a nice way to wind down after a busy day of doing absolutely sod all.

Attached Thumbnails Which Color/Colour is the Easiest to keep Clean?-12-david-annie-steve-ion-depart-admira-vii-souce-bottle-iffley.jpg  
Old 03-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Steve M;1173690]As much as I love my XJS she doesn't have a 32 inch 3D Smart TV with matched Bluray player and soundbar, a 3 seat Oxblood Chesterfield 'Gentleman's sofa' and a cream suede swivel chair within twisting distance of the beer fridge and all the remotes (which also control the LED lighting).
Sometimes, after a 'swift' hour in the Jaaaaaag, it's nice to potter off down stream, tie up outside a pub, have a few scoops, and then go back on board and watch somebody else get all busy in 3D.
It's a nice way to wind down after a busy day of doing absolutely sod all.[/QUOT

That's the worst excuse I've ever heard of! (lol)

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-01-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
light colored cars rarely look dirty, metallic cars are even better. Used to have a dark grey metallic car that looks almost completely clean during pollen season.

BRG gets dirty like nobodies business, it still looks clean from 10-15 feet though.
It must all be to do with local Conditions, my green Car never shows the dirt, no matter how long I leave Her before being Washed.