XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

FOB Programming Frustration (1994 XJS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default FOB Programming Frustration (1994 XJS)

I need any help for FOB programming for my 1994 XJS. I have tried and tried to get the car into the "learning mode" but get nothing. I turn on the ignition switch and toggle the valet switch once. Turn the ignition switch off and toggle 5 times. I hear absolutely nothing from the horn to confirm the car is in programming stage. If it helps, when I remove/replace the security fuse in the trunk, I do hear the chirp from the alarm. Also, each time I press the remote button on my FOB, the horn will chirp and red security light behind the cigrette
lighter will come on. What am I doing wrong or what is wrong with the system?

Thanks!

Richard

Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by benzjag
I need any help for FOB programming for my 1994 XJS. I have tried and tried to get the car into the "learning mode" but get nothing. I turn on the ignition switch and toggle the valet switch once. Turn the ignition switch off and toggle 5 times. I hear absolutely nothing from the horn to confirm the car is in programming stage. If it helps, when I remove/replace the security fuse in the trunk, I do hear the chirp from the alarm. Also, each time I press the remote button on my FOB, the horn will chirp and red security light behind the cigrette
lighter will come on. What am I doing wrong or what is wrong with the system?

Thanks!

Richard
I have exactly the same problem. Not yet been able to solve, yet. Many posts here of people that have made it work.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 AM

SUCCESS! I finally got the FOB to work. Dsetter, try this. Turn ignition switch on and toggle the valet switch (wires). Turn ignition off. Toggle 5 times. Then immediately push the button on the remote 5 or more times until the horn blows.
The oddity with my car was I NEVER heard the chirp to let me know the car was in the "learning" mode. Another thing to try is forget the valet thing and just push the button on the remote several times in quick succession until your hear the horn. Before I got mine to work, I could press the button on the remote and hear the chirp (each time I pressed the button). Can you hear the chirp if you just press the button? You can check if your remote is working for free by going to any Autozone, or Advance Auto. Please update your findings.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM

Interesting difference, you give me renewed hope, congratulations.
My transmitter shows as OK.
I only get a chirp when I reconnect the battery.
I do not have the valet switch so am doing this by the wires in the trunk.
I measured the volts on the valet switch wire s and found none, so not sure what the switching does. Maybe I have a fault receiver?
The receiver does have main and standby volts as required.

Will continue looking and remain hopeful.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 PM

Mine was exactly the same: no voltage at the valet switch (or at the security computer in the trunk) and only the chirp when I disconnected/connected the battery. This past weekend I took the battery out;therefore, lost the FOB. Again, I just keep pressing the FOB until the system started working (about 15 times)! I never messed with the valet switch.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Default Success

OK, Finally resolved this and can repeatedly get into learning mode and system chips going to learning mode, and programming and locks and unlocks the doors now.

Also, I found that there is a digital signal on the valet switch when OFF so is not a straight DC voltage but swings 0-12V when ignition is OFF.

I did this with trunk open and drivers door open. Do not know if that makes a difference.

Important point is the speed between steps and understanding what "on" and "off" of the security/valet switch were, since I did not have one.

On = yellow/white grounded

1. Ignition OFF - key in
2. yellow/white open(off)
Next steps have to be done in 3-5 seconds
3. Ignition ON - key in
4. yellow/white grounded (on)
5. Ignition Off - key in
6. yellow/white-open-ground-open-ground-open-ground-open-ground-open
(Chirped here)
7. Press remote (chirp)
8. Repeat remote presses until all 5 memory locations are programmed.

Thanks man for encouraging me to try again. You helped a bunch.

The following users liked this post:
EastRando (07-13-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 PM

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Further explanation?

Can someone please explain the steps #2 and #4 from the above instructions? I picture would be GREAT! Thanks.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Programming

I bought a valet switch and installed it just so I could make programming easy. Since I did that I get the double chirps when locking and unlocking my car now. I could lock and set the alarm before and the lights would flash as they should but did not hear the chirping as I do now. I must have woke it up... The light on the console has always indicated alarm set when locked and my grandson even set off the alarm one morning (scared him big time) before I installed the valet switch, so I know the system works.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Akstrat
Can someone please explain the steps #2 and #4 from the above instructions? I picture would be GREAT! Thanks.
Sorry, do not have a picture, but step 2 is to have the valet switch off or with out the switch, have the writes open, and step 4 is reversed.