XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Have you guys discussed whether the XJS was inspired by the Lamborghini 400?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Have you guys discussed whether the XJS was inspired by the Lamborghini 400?

Lamborghini 400

Old 10-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I love that older style Lambo....as opposed to the later Johnny Space Boy models!

Anyhow.....

Your referring to looks, I presume?

Except for some similarity in the headlamps I don't see anything in common between the two.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-09-2014, 01:32 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

I think the XJS was on the drawing board from about 1965, which predates the Lambroghini 400 production (I think)

The XJS is a natural progression from the E-type.
I don't think they woke up one day and said 'We better copy that Lambo'..

Old 10-09-2014, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Reminds me more of the Volvo P1800:

Volvo P1800 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Volvo P1800 Remake Renderings

If one of the forum gurus would be kind enough to link the images directly to this thread for posterity, I would be so grateful.

There are some really, really sexy renderings out there, like the Bertone XJ6 and some of the Porsche 928 updates.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AL NZ
The XJS is a natural progression from the E-type.

You look at the XJS styling and see E-Type DNA? If so, where? I sure don't !

Cheers
DD

Old 10-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Convergent evolution?

Same genus different species.

All very fine motors verging on works of art; except that they do have a purpose, other than, to inspire.

Rob.
2006 X Type Sport Wagon.
1987 XJ6 Daily driver.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

You could say there maybe some sort of resembelance, but I do not think it is modelled around it, as for a progretion from the E-Type I see none of it at all, personally a good thing not my favourite looking car the old E type. I think its got a bit of inspiration from the american musscle cars in design from that period, I would put it in more in a group with the Mustang, Camaro, even the Charger than the European cars of the same period, Even could be a love child between a Jensen and an Aston?
All I know is, love the shape and the looks but why couldn't they put some more leg room in the back, or for us horizontally challenged more room all round?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

The one aspect of the XJS' styling that it was tacitly admitted was influenced by Italian cars were the flying buttresses. I read this somewhere and cannot find the quotation for the moment.

Katoh,
I think the Jensen CV8 /Aston lovechild description of how the Lambo looks is brilliant!

Greg

Old 10-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Katoh,
I am also horizontally challenged but find the XJS to have ample room. When I purchased mine, my wife stated that if our shoulders touched, she would not ride in it with me. We have enjoyed several rides together with plenty of shoulder room and many compliments.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Katoh
All I know is, love the shape and the looks but why couldn't they put some more leg room in the back, or for us horizontally challenged more room all round?
I've heard it said the back seat in the XJS and XK8 was basically for insurance purposes as "two seaters" garnered higher premiums. Probably an urban legend but I can't see anyone using them.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
You look at the XJS styling and see E-Type DNA? If so, where? I sure don't !

Cheers
DD
Yes, the A-pillar configuration, with door opening forward of the windscreen. From there extend forward and rearward to incorporate 5-mph bumpers and lights of the required height. Natural progression in terms of construction perhaps more than outright design.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Katoh,
I think the Jensen CV8 /Aston lovechild description of how the Lambo looks is brilliant!

Greg
With 3 young children and watching that movie CARS day after day, after Day after Day, you tend to think, Hmm Lighting McQueen and Sally = Offspring maybe a WRX? LOL Back then I realise these things wore unheard off. Still I wonder if the designers from one company played up with another? The love child's could be driving among us today, All I can say is the ones that played up to create the Citroen DS Pallas must of being bloody ugly and at the end of the list. (LOL) Don't mean to insult any Citreon Owners! Only Jokes. Sent all Hate mail to Helen Wait!

I am also horizontally challenged but find the XJS to have ample room. When I purchased mine, my wife stated that if our shoulders touched, she would not ride in it with me. We have enjoyed several rides together with plenty of shoulder room and many compliments.
I found the seating is fine, my gripe is mainly getting in and out of the car, When we first bought the car on our 700Km journey back home, as we pulled into a rest stop, I desticvly heard a a child say "look at that Walrus trying to slide out of that old car Mummy". Another aspect for such a large car, my goodness the pedal room is non existent, and what will make it worse I'm going to try squeeze a clutch in there as well.

I've heard it said the back seat in the XJS and XK8 was basically for insurance purposes as "two seaters" garnered higher premiums. Probably an urban legend but I can't see anyone using them.
Actually that makes a lot of sence, even my 9 year old complains there's no room in the back here, and insists we push our seats forward..

I must admit when in the car its really very nice, leg room is tolerable and unless you are less than 9 and older than 7 the back seat is perfect anything out of that range its not good for all involved.
I apologise for dragging this thread a little of course but since the Lamborghini's back seat seat can cater for passenger from 7-14 years old makes the resemblance even further apart.

Last edited by Katoh; 10-10-2014 at 07:43 AM. Reason: For a few words
Old 10-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

If you look at other pinnifarina cars...the xjs is belong in the group. The 400gt isn't one.

I think you are giving it false attribution because you are probably thinking of the american headlights.

Other than the bit running up to line up with the headlights, there are basically zero similar lines on the car. The side of the body, the rear end, the front end, the windshield, the back glass, quarter windows. Nearly nothing looks like the XJS.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Nearly nothing looks like the XJS.
1970-73 Camaro is one of the few.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

You guy might think I'm just being intentionally contrarian but I really don't see the similarity....

http://oldcarbrochures.org/var/album...g?m=1337368326

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/1987_x...7049286227.jpg

I guess my eyes just don't see what other eyes see

Cheers
DD

Old 10-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

i agree doug. Not at all meaning to offend or insult anyone, but these cars look similar to people who know absolutely nothing about cars. If you actually look at the shapes and the lines of the car they share nothing.

People are confusing older cars with coke bottle shapes for them actually looking the same

Old 10-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

What I find interesting about the XJS being compared to the E type is the fact that you seldom hear the XJS being compared to the series 3 E type 2 +2's but rather to the earlier 2 seater E's. This is rather unfair to the XJS as Jaguar had already made the E type a GT in the series 3 because the 2 seater E's had a limited market.

The best car to look at to see what market Jaguar was trying to compete with IMO is the Mercedes 450 SLC. Jaguar felt they could get a piece of the GT market and man is the XJS a way better looking car then the 450 SLC.

Just my 2 cents on the subject of cars / market that Jaguar was trying to capture but keep in mind the XJS was the last sports car that Lyons and Sayer had their direct hands in. The XJS was a huge upgrade over the series 3 E as far as quietness and roominess.

But again the XJS was not meant to be a direct follow up from the E. As well as the E type was received it did have its limitations and most people forget that the E type 2 seater had run it's course by the late 60's. Since Jaguar was strapped for cash they had to get the best bang for their buck so they went with the GT coupe.

I really enjoy looking at the last XJS proto type with the thin chrome bumpers as I can really see the pureness of the design. I just think the early XJS's lost something when they were fitted with the undersized wheel packages that were the norm back in that time period.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
A Jag salesman told me that when I was buying mine. Four seats are cheaper to insure, but I don't find my 2-seater too pricey. The original owner drove the warranty off and traded it in on a new one, and i scooped her up in 96.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I see zero Britishness in the XJS design personally and all Italian, ala '60's Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 quad headlamp variant. There is a heavy French influence there too, but I credit the Italian's with that initial knife edged entry. Even checkout the bonnet line and headlight pods, look familiar?? ;-):

1961 Ferrari 330 GT .

In fact, Ferrari even put Buttresses on a 330 once as a low drag coupe, which pre-dates the XJS. It was an exaggerated design, but you gotta give it credit.

Another interesting thought, compare an XJ13 with the '66 Ferrari 365P, hmmmm:

1966-ferrari-365-p -berlinetta-speciale-auction-001-1.jpg

The E-Type obviously was a stroke of genius for Sayer (as were all his creations), but who knows who leaked what and who both firms had as "consultants", as you know there was some inventorying of competition going on to stay fresh and in the light.

I also believe the XJS was a product of the 80's not of its release date in '75, which is pretty remarkable to be able to design something that actually got "newer" as it aged.

Just my two sense..

Jeff

Last edited by Broken_Spanners; 10-15-2014 at 11:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Flint Ironstag (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Received 142 Likes on 105 Posts

I see very little in common between the Lambo and the XJS. I also see very little in common in the styling between the series 3 E Type and the XJS, but the mechanicals are almost identical. Except the XJS has a better fuel system, and better transmission.

Quick Reply: Have you guys discussed whether the XJS was inspired by the Lamborghini 400?