XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Head Lights needed for 92 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Looking at the bumpers, is your car an American import ??

Old 10-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the bulb issue, I would have thought it to have been the original one, as it fits well in the housing?!
But of you say not, then someone must have found a higher rated bulb that firs there.
I assume it is a US import, but I do not know for sure, as I bought this car from someone who bought it from someone else..
On the speedo, it has both miles and kilometers, so I must assume it is indeed US origin.
But if so, why the Euro lights?

Old 10-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Ah ha.....That year or the facelift model only had the 'eurolights'. The problem with a Yank import is that the side/park lights are not in the headlight, they are in with the amber indicator.
Soooo, depending where it was first imported to it would have had to be adapted so that it had the park lights in the headlight, not in the indicator. I would think that this was done at some time by either getting some European market lights, or most probably messing around badly with the US originals. I don't know anything about what sort (if any) tests your car has to go through but l would suggest looking out for either eurostyle lights for sale anywhere (if it doesn't matter there which way they dip, l would suggest the UK). or for better lighting go for the quad option kit from sng barrets.

On the bulb side. You can get NOT FOR street use H4's in a lot of higher wattages. Doesn't mean that your wiring will take them.......

1 of your lights looks like it has the park light bulb and the other is completely F**cked. Both look like the silver reflectors have seen much better days.

Go for the quad set up..........

Last edited by malc4d; 10-19-2014 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Challenger_7 (10-20-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
Ah ha.....That year or the facelift model only had the 'eurolights'. The problem with a Yank import is that the side/park lights are not in the headlight, they are in with the amber indicator.

quad option kit from sng barrets.
On the bulb side. You can get NOT FOR street use H4's in a lot of higher wattages. Doesn't mean that your wiring will take them.......

1 of your lights looks like it has the park light bulb and the other is completely F**cked. Both look like the silver reflectors have seen much better days.

Go for the quad set up..........
OK, looks like I am getting round to closing this file.
My headlights both have the park line in them, but the headlights themselves look totally different one form the other.
As per the photos I posted, they come from different times/eras!!

As you have observed, lights are indeed bad, and one is royally F** as you suggest. literally good for nothing, and currently using the fog lamps to get by.

However, I looked for quad replacements on ebay and on this forum, and found a few offers between $250-$300.
But upon your recommendation to visit Barratts, i changed my mind because they have a conversion kit, although more expensive, but you are getting brand new stuff.
And the headlights are the first things you look at with all that shiny chrome, especially on black (my car), so I have definitely made my mind up.

See attached photo of their offer, and thanks again for the tip.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Head Lights needed for 92 XJS-headlamp-conv-kit.jpg  
Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I just wanted to comment, because I ran into a few pics on my photobucket today of the back of my euro lights (the orange/bronze ones.) They DO indeed have running lights on a smaller bulb underneath the main beams. I just haven't worked with them very much and completely forgot.

I just wanted to post so there wasn't incorrect info about the lights out there, i know I said earlier that I have euros and they have one single bulb, its not true. It is just like the orange headlight that OP posted on his one side

Old 10-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I have a pair of headlamps from a 92 facelift car if anyone is interested