XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Which headlights do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes, I think it is the 'topaz' that I am thinking about. Seemed like it was more silver than gold like the GM color that was common on many of their pickups and also on many Buick sedans as I remember. Not a bad color for a pickup but I like the more vibrant gold like your XJS was for a Jaguar. As I remember seems like Jaguar started using a nice looking gold on the XK8.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Ribbet.

That's my red car. I considered changing the headlights. I generally prefer the 4-round when looking at photos of these cars, but in person it doesn't matter to me. Up close and in 3D the headlights are just a small detail and take nothing away from the overall impression the car makes.

I believe our sponsor SNG Barratt USA has a conversion kit??? And a discount for forum members (I don't mean to play favourites. Maybe jagbits, for example, has them too).

Greg

We do indeed! Click below for details. JF member price $568.35

www.sngbarratt.com/PartSearchResults.aspx?partno=SBS9204

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

while we talking about headlights, i need some headlight adjusting screws(plastic part).

BUT , my car is RHD Euro type, the screws are different than USA types.

all i really need is the plastic piece,(6 if i can them), but settle for 3.

i might have to buy the bucket mounting bracket with the piece in them.whatever! not the bucket itself, each side takes 3 brackets.

tried SNG, jagparts, jagbits, Welsh, no luck, euro parts,etc.

so it seems a UK part, will do. hopefully.

a darn silly little piece plastic, and cant adjust properly. making it would be a PITA.

my lights are modified for outside HID, and inside Projector beams. 4 light system, but still have to adjust them.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Ron, does your car have adjustment screws on the end of cables like in this pic:

Headlamp Assembly-Not Germany - Parts For XJS from (V)179737 to (V)226645 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Old 04-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

no, my adjustment system is different ,even from that arraingment,HMM.

its from 1975-1981, has three spring loaded brackets with a 35yr old plastic pieces that are crumbling.

buckets says made in FRANCE, by Cibie, glass lenses,not plastic, actually difficult to work with, have to be very carefull R&R them.

thanks,i'm hoping someone will have the parts!

Old 04-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Default headlights

pic of my lights

Attached Thumbnails Which headlights do you prefer?-jag-headlight-adjust-bracket-screw-001.jpg   Which headlights do you prefer?-jag-headlight-adjust-bracket-screw-002.jpg   Which headlights do you prefer?-jag-rodstr-010.jpg  
Old 04-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts
The following users liked this post:
ronbros (04-16-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

I prefer the more modern look of the Euro style, however it is limited to poor bulb lighting. the 9004 is rather weak even with the GE night hawks. You will have more lighting choices with the quad system. I don't drive fast enough at night to out run my lighting reflex time.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

the idea of paying $600 to put some headlights in a car that i put a $300 supercharged engine in makes me cringe.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

anything that works properly is never cheap,that said, i rarely drive a my jag at night anyway!

admit tho, the original French Cibies were a joke compared to USA sealed beams of the late 1970s

Old 04-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Default headlight bracket

thanks malc, that is the part i need ,to bad a cant buy just the plastic pieces, my metal parts are like new, BUT, thats business.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

well got my lights back in,ADJUST OK, cant believe i spent 8hrs getting them correct,PITA!

dont ever drop the glass lens(i did NOT) , they cost rediculas money, put carpet on the floor!!

now i can go night riding!!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by RonaldP
I don't drive fast enough at night to out run my lighting reflex time.
You're correct! I even added nitrous to see if it could out run mine, but I still can't...

But, seriously, the one thing most do not take into account when discussing various XJS appearance subjects is the subtle, but immense effect of the facelift. The XJS spirit is there all the same, but in a more modern fashion. In the case of the facelift car, the stock lights look more the part for its more modern lines and, conversely, the quad set up, which looks fine on the pre-facelift car, it's just not quite the same when installed on the face-lift version; it inserts something older into a newer picture. Only problem is that the stock facelift lights are too dim, so bad that the "compromise" quad alternative is almost justified. I resolved mine via HID lights, thus keeping the original presentation with great illumination ahead of me.

Speaking of facelift modern...
What were those 15" Lattice wheels doing on a '94 facelift XJS?
Those wheels had been featured on the XJS since MY1988, which was, by then, SEVEN years old!! on a >$60K car value of twenty years ago?
By comparison, the XK8 Revolvers, which are beautiful wheels, and more so when in chrome version, lasted three years and then they were tossed by Jaguar for a newer version. Things change, I suppose...

Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

i'm a fan of the euro style lamps. on both facelift and pre-facelift.

i swapped the quads on my 91 to the euro-style. and boy-o-boy... the lighting was terrible. i thought the quad lights were pretty bad, but these were AWFUL--even after a cleaning.

like forcedair up there... i tried to remedy the poor lighting with an HID kit. and it works great. great in that there is A LOT of light produced with the kit. they're fairly easy to install, and i did NOT get a cool-blue temp to try and make it look modern. (i think i ended up with 4300K).

so the kit lights up the road like a small supernova in front of my car... but it is also the glarey-est, least controlled type of light i've seen on any car, ever. you can find lots of information about why these conversions shouldn't be made (unless you do it like ronbros).

90% of the time i drive, it is in daytime, and 90% of the night-driving i do is in a city, where there's enough glare from other sources that it is not too much of a concern to me. and even with the car being so low... i try to get up close to the car in front of me at a stop light, or point the nose away so the lights aren't blinding the person in front of me.

if you do significant driving on unlit roads at night... when there are other cars on the road... think 2x about using one of these conversions.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DrScientist
i'm a fan of the euro style lamps. on both facelift and pre-facelift.

i swapped the quads on my 91 to the euro-style. and boy-o-boy... the lighting was terrible. i thought the quad lights were pretty bad, but these were AWFUL--even after a cleaning.

like forcedair up there... i tried to remedy the poor lighting with an HID kit. and it works great. great in that there is A LOT of light produced with the kit. they're fairly easy to install, and i did NOT get a cool-blue temp to try and make it look modern. (i think i ended up with 4300K).

so the kit lights up the road like a small supernova in front of my car... but it is also the glarey-est, least controlled type of light i've seen on any car, ever. you can find lots of information about why these conversions shouldn't be made (unless you do it like ronbros).

90% of the time i drive, it is in daytime, and 90% of the night-driving i do is in a city, where there's enough glare from other sources that it is not too much of a concern to me. and even with the car being so low... i try to get up close to the car in front of me at a stop light, or point the nose away so the lights aren't blinding the person in front of me.

if you do significant driving on unlit roads at night... when there are other cars on the road... think 2x about using one of these conversions.
If properly adjusted, the higher intensity should never get to other drivers eyes. But you must perform road tests with a second car, if not, then don't do this. Keep them low, within acceptable height.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

In the UK most garages(workshops) have a machine that they use to set up the headlights correctly. I don't recall ever seeing such a thing in the US. Do they exist there ?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d
In the UK most garages(workshops) have a machine that they use to set up the headlights correctly. I don't recall ever seeing such a thing in the US. Do they exist there ?
Aren't lights part of the MOT certification in the UK?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

little follow up;
i use my outside HIDs for hyway,it floods ahead better, when in city i use the inside Projector beams, that pinpoints the light ahead better! without bothering other people.

all in all its better than original, times change,DID you ever drive a 1934 Ford at night, barely see 50ft, course we didnt have interstate hiways ether.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

i think this actually started out as an aesthetic thread... and i forgot to mention something.

i recently upsized to 18inch wheels on my 91, pre-facelift car.

in my opinion, the larger wheels + dark color are better suited to the euro style lamps. i feel like the quads would make the car look a bit less modern, and clash with the large wheels.

i'm quite pleased with how the car has turned out, both in handling with larger wheels and lighting, single unit + HID (blinding other motorists aside).

Attached Thumbnails Which headlights do you prefer?-photo.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the the e-codes, fits the face of the car better... Hi I just joined because I have a set of these I want to sell and need some more posts to start a classfied.
~Phil

Quick Reply: Which headlights do you prefer?