XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help!! New Jag Owner, Major Brake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

Nice to see someone else in the great town of Greenville SC. If you want a old hand to take a look, feel free to contact me. Been here all my life, owned many Jags. Have owned several XJSs, currently have a 89 i'm nursing back to health.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by sainmatt
Sorry for the hiatus. My jeep broke down and is my daily driver. So that required my recent attention.

I'm going to dive into this next month. From what I've read a common issue with these cars when they sit for too long is that the solenoids for the abs can get jammed and when that happens the brakes can go out. I was looking to flush out the old fluid, strip the master cylinder, and clean the solenoids. Then if the issue persists i'm going to replace/rebuild the calipers.

I have a copule quesitons though before I proceed:

1. I have no idea how to flush the system, strip the master cylinder, and clean the solenoids. Could Anyone give me advice, suggestions, write-ups ? (DJinAustin... I will definitely read your write up Thanks!!)

2. I still don't feel 100% confident in jacking the car for repairs. Does anyone have any pictures of how they support the vehicle while making repairs?

3. I also don't have a repair manual. Is the jaguar manual a good one to purchase or are there others?

Thanks for all your help!! It's greatly appreciated. I'm ready to get this baby on the road!!
Hi Sainmatt

I have just been through a similar 'Nightmare' myself, putting my 1989 XJS V12 back on the road after an 8 year layup.

She had just gone through an MOT where all the Brakes were passed as working fine.

But after a number of Test Drives to sort out a 'rattle' on the Exhaust, I was on my way home doing 70mph when I noticed a smell of burning and then minutes later, clouds of white smoke were coming from the NS Wheel arch.

Followed by Total Brake Failure! The Pedal went right to the floor! and I was very lucky that the car did not catch fire and explode in a fireball.

This was the result of a Sticking Front Caliper, which made the Brake Fluid Boil and I lost all the Brakes.

So bearing in mind you are driving one of the nicest Jaguars ever made, that probably cost around 50 grand New, it doesn't pay to cut corners, or You will either Kill or Injure Yourself and or Somebody else!

I faced the same dilemma as You, as to whether to rebuild the Calipers but the easiest and the better way is to buy new (Service Exchange PX Your Old Ones For Rebuilds)

Don't just stop there either! Put on New Front Brake Hoses And New Brake Pads and get yourself 5 litres of New Brake Fluid.

But before you fit the New Calipers undo the Bleed Nipples on the Old ones and pump plenty of fluid through to get rid of the Old Brake Fluid and Flush out any impurities in the system. (which is why to buy a 5lite can)

Don't re use the Old Fluid or even put it through twice and whatever you do, keep it off the Paintwork.

Its going to cost you a few bucks but if you have got your Brakes Working, don't be in denial that everything is Ok because what ever happened before, is going to sooner or later happen again!

And just remember the next time you may not be so lucky!
What you need is peace of mind, so don't 'skimp' spend the money! and then you can relax and enjoy the car.

That includes New Brake Pads and New Hoses, even if the Old ones look Ok! Anything to do with Brakes, is a place where you don't cut corners.
'Do it Once and Do it Right! (Credit to Grant in Aus)

As far as Jacking her up is Concerned, I would never Trust Axle Stands, as if something slips you are 'Toast!'

Instead I have a Big Block of Wood which I put under the middle of the Steel Front Beam.

Then when the Car is lowered down, both of the Front Wheels will be off the ground (so slacken the wheel nuts off first)

This is by far the easiest and the Safest way I have found to do the job, as then you can work on both sets of Brakes at once.

As I was also going to have to bleed the rear Calipers, I did a very similar thing on the back, with a big block of wood under each of the back Axles but don't jack it up or block it up on the rear diff.

Use a substantial Block of Wood!, I am using a 12inch X 12inch Block of Oak!

When you put on the New Calipers, put in the New Brake Pads BEFORE you even attempt to Bleed the System, as the one thing that you MUST NOT DO! is anything that is going to send any Brake Fluid up to the Master Cylinder, or there is a very High Risk that you will mess up the Valves in the Master Cylinder. And that will be VERY EXPENSIVE to sort out!

You may get away with it on any other Car but on an XJS its like Russian Roulette! So don't be tempted to risk it, or you may end up with an XJS that Brakes Violently to one side without any warning!

http://

http://

Attached Thumbnails Help!! New Jag Owner, Major Brake Issues-hubs1_zps03e5b5a6.jpg   Help!! New Jag Owner, Major Brake Issues-hubs_zpsc7d37547.jpg  

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-14-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Eaa
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sainmatt
2. I still don't feel 100% confident in jacking the car for repairs. Does anyone have any pictures of how they support the vehicle while making repairs?

Here's a thread that has some good suggestions regarding raising and supporting these cars:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-work-102912/

Hope this helps you, Eric

Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To anyone working on S-Type spongy brakes.
Go to Amazon.com and get the book, "Give Me A Brake!" . This will explain why S-Type Jags (and many other cars) have spongy brakes and what can be done about it.
Dave Wilson
2001 S-Type 4.0