XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Help with sway bar bushings replacement needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with sway bar bushings replacement needed

OK, how in the world do you get to the bolts that hold the sway bar bushing mounts in place to loosen them to replace the rubber bushings on an 89 XJS V12? I can only get to one nut on each side. Does it take a special tool (s)? My fingers tell me that the bolt heads up above are not welded in place so they will probably turn once loose. Is there some trick to slip the bushing out and in from the side? Do you have to drop the cross member to get to the bolts? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Been too many years so my memory is foggy.....but I'm betting that you can reach them from the engine bay. You'll need a long extension.

I *do* vividly remember this job on my Ser III XJ6, though. Different body... but same subframe and bar mounting. On that car I went through the engine bay. After initially breaking the bolts free my arms were *just* long enough to work the ratchet with one hand while the other hand held the nuts with a wrench. Having a helper is easier !

Others will chime in

Cheers
DD

Old 12-13-2014, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyK
OK, how in the world do you get to the bolts that hold the sway bar bushing mounts in place to loosen them to replace the rubber bushings on an 89 XJS V12? I can only get to one nut on each side. Does it take a special tool (s)? My fingers tell me that the bolt heads up above are not welded in place so they will probably turn once loose. Is there some trick to slip the bushing out and in from the side? Do you have to drop the cross member to get to the bolts? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
The bolt heads are not welded. I bow to Doug on the XJ6, and it may be possible on the XJS, but as far as I can see the rubbers can only be changed if the subframe is swung down on the front six shot mountings. Otherwise it seems impossible to get to the inside bracket bolts. Not saying impossible, but it looks as though it is, anyway.

Dropping the subframe is not that bad a job once you have got a beam across the engine to hold it up. And you can do lots of other jobs while there is access: steering rack bushes, engine/subframe/frame earths, check power steering cooler lines.
Greg

Old 12-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

It is not impossible to do with the subframe still in place, I removed and replaced my sway bar without dropping the subframe.

However it is much easier and most likely quicker to drop the front of the subframe. Put a jack under the subframe and remove the front bolts, lower it just enough to gain access. Remember the engine is mounted to this subframe so if you drop it too far the engine will come down with it.

Now if it were me I would remove the subframe and do as Doug and Greg suggested. While you there replace the sump gaskets.

You can make one of these.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (12-14-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default I just did mine.

I must let you know that I own a 1993 XJS six cylinder so I don't know if it is the same. I went down from the top, moving the heater hose to one side (but not disconnected). I was by myself so I clamped a vice grip on the bottom nuts as I turned the bolts. I put poly bushing on the end links and the sway bar. The thing I found different was the bolt holes on the sway bar brackets were not on center, but were offset. So, being I was putting on poly bushings I had to get a friend to hold the backers in place with a pry bar while I put the bolts in place. All I had to use was a ratchet, a long extension and a deep socket. It only took us maybe a couple of hours from start to finish. This is the first Jaguar I have ever worked on and it is a different beast, but I find it much easier to work on than my domestic cars.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyK

i had to replace my anti roll bushes(easy to do), my frame bushes seem to be OK.

i dont care for poly bushes , mine were 2-3yrs old and cracked apart!

Attached Thumbnails Help with sway bar bushings replacement needed-001.jpg   Help with sway bar bushings replacement needed-005.jpg  
Old 12-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Smile Always buy quality parts for your car!

I bought many polyurethane from "Summit Racing" and have never had a problem with them. Don't try to save a few dollars and buy inexpensive parts no matter what you are buying for your car. The life you save may be your own.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by 93xjs6cyl
I bought many polyurethane from "Summit Racing" and have never had a problem with them. Don't try to save a few dollars and buy inexpensive parts no matter what you are buying for your car. The life you save may be your own.
The shore hardness of some poly is up there with turned aluminium. Poly is not always an improvement.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Default Hum..

Originally Posted by baxtor
The shore hardness of some poly is up there with turned aluminium. Poly is not always an improvement.
That I did not know. All I know is I have always been very pleased with the ones I have bought. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by 93xjs6cyl
The poly ones I bought are crap, plus sway bar bushings in most cases are not "life threatening" more $$$ isn't always "better". I got to my bushing back bolt heads by simply taking an open end wrench to the grinder and shaving the outer sides off.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by JTsmks
The poly ones I bought are crap, plus sway bar bushings in most cases are not "life threatening" more $$$ isn't always "better". I got to my bushing back bolt heads by simply taking an open end wrench to the grinder and shaving the outer sides off.
I'm not one how believes in putting poly everywhere. It can make a Jaguar drive like a truck. I do like a firmer steering and with 93,000 miles on my old bushings they needed replacement anyway.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
i had to replace my anti roll bushes(easy to do), my frame bushes seem to be OK.

i dont care for poly bushes , mine were 2-3yrs old and cracked apart!

my new bush kits from MOOG USA.

altho i had to shorten the spacer tube and buy shorter bolts, all else fits fine.

Attached Thumbnails Help with sway bar bushings replacement needed-008.jpg   Help with sway bar bushings replacement needed-009.jpg  

Last edited by ronbros; 12-16-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:39 PM

Johnnyk,
So, how did you make out?