XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Installing Speakers In Rear Cubby Box Lid

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default Installing Speakers In Rear Cubby Box Lid

I was thinking of Installing a couple of extra Speakers in the Lid of the Rear 'Cubby Box'

Is this a good idea?

If so what size speakers should I use and what's the best way of cutting out the holes or would cutting holes in the 'Cubby Box' be viewed as a Sacrilige.

Also what are the best type of speakers to use, as they would be in my Convertible and wouldn't want them to fall apart, if I got caught in the Rain.

Can you get waterproof speakers?

What I was thinking of doing, was fitting Two Speakers in the Lid of the rear 'Cubby Box' with a separate Amplifier in the 'Cubby Box'

The only other thing I want to do, is plug my MP3 Player into the Amplifier, which 'I presume I could do?' by plugging this into the headphone socket of the Amp.

Anyone got any pics of a similar Set Up or recommendations etc.

I just want to use this 'initially' with my MP3 Player & Smartphone.

Having said that I was wondering, if it might be a better idea to mount the speakers in home made pods and then attach these to the 'Underside' of the 'Cubby Box' Lid.

So in order to use them you would keep the lid in the open position, by use of a lockable hinge, the advantage being that when the Lid is open, the Speakers would be facing 'Forward'

Where the Lid can then be closed when they are not in use.

Thoughts please guys......

Last edited by orangeblossom; 01-27-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

The best thing to do is figure the volume of space in box (less amp) and get speakers for the space. Speakers are designed to use a specific volume.
A couple small subs with decent speakers in doors and chubby all powered by amp will give you best sound. IMO

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (01-28-2015)
Old 01-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

The previous owner of my '90 had cut out holes in the cubby door to install a set of 6x9's. It was very difficult to find a new door, with the correct color carpet to replace the modified door.

The wood in the door is very thick. Maybe an inch or more. Installing the speakers and grills will be a challenge due to the thickness.

If you want to install speakers in the door my suggestion would be to not modify your original door. Either locate another door or make your own.

You could put some speakers in the front panel but there is not a lot of room there so the speakers cannot be very large. Trying to cut holes will be a challenge unless you take the cubby out. That's going to be a bit of work.

I think you really need to ask yourself if you are willing to cut holes in parts that might be very hard to replace if you later want to go back to stock.

For me, I'm happy with the sound of the original system and like the stock appearance and function.

Mark

Old 01-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Safari
The previous owner of my '90 had cut out holes in the cubby door to install a set of 6x9's. It was very difficult to find a new door, with the correct color carpet to replace the modified door.

The wood in the door is very thick. Maybe an inch or more. Installing the speakers and grills will be a challenge due to the thickness.

If you want to install speakers in the door my suggestion would be to not modify your original door. Either locate another door or make your own.

You could put some speakers in the front panel but there is not a lot of room there so the speakers cannot be very large. Trying to cut holes will be a challenge unless you take the cubby out. That's going to be a bit of work.

I think you really need to ask yourself if you are willing to cut holes in parts that might be very hard to replace if you later want to go back to stock.

For me, I'm happy with the sound of the original system and like the stock appearance and function.

Mark
Hi Mark

I think you are probably right, as I don't want to go and 'Butcher' my XJS but the more I think about it, the more that I am being drawn to fixing Speaker Pods on the inside of the 'Cubby Box Lid'

Which could then be connected to the wires of the smaller Speakers, which are already in there, so they would face forward when the 'Cubby Box Lid' is locked in the open position.

Where further Amplification may be unecessary.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,914 Likes on 1,665 Posts

How about one of these instead OB?
Picked totally at random, I'm sure that others are available.
Slimline Bluetooth Wireless TV Sound Bar Hi-Def Speaker System

Old 01-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Mark

I think you are probably right, as I don't want to go and 'Butcher' my XJS but the more I think about it, the more that I am being drawn to fixing Speaker Pods on the inside of the 'Cubby Box Lid'

Which could then be connected to the wires of the smaller Speakers, which are already in there, so they would face forward when the 'Cubby Box Lid' is locked in the open position.

Where further Amplification may be unecessary.
Interesting idea. My only concern would be the weight.

The lid is pretty heavy and adding speakers would increase that. I'd be concerned that the stock supports might not be up to the job especially when you are driving the car, hitting bumps and such.

If you added an extra folding brace to support the lid then I think you would be ok.

Mark

Old 01-28-2015, 10:37 AM

If you dont want to cut the lid then make another lid and cut holes into it. That way you could put the original lid back on.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bc xj:
orangeblossom (01-28-2015), Spikepaga (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Do you intent on keeping the car forever? If not, do think you will be selling it to someone who will be upset that you installed speakers?

I know this is personal, but as far as I am concerned there are two types of modifications:

1) The "I never got beyond the boy racer phase but I am 25 y.o +" modifications such as;

After market rims (with rare exceptions)
Plasti-dip anything
Fake chrome side vents from auto-zone where they don't belong
Real cut out side vents where they don't belong
Any type of LED/HID lights that have a bluish tint
Trying to ""refresh"" a car that is clearly from the 70's with ""updates""
Etc, etc, etc.

2)And then there are functional, well thought out modifications such as;

Aftermarket cooling fans for engine or air conditioning cooling
Replacement radio with bluetooth, GPS, Sirius, etc to enhance safety
LEDS in OEM colors to enhance visibility, clarity
Anything enhancement that allows drivng your vehicle in the 21rst century.

Speakers on the cubby lid definately fall under the second category.

I am think I am a purist, but both my 74 and 95 have new Alpine decks with all modern conveniences. Bluetooth hands free talking is not negotiable as far as I am concerned. Neither is good sound. When I was given the 74 E it was absolutely stock right down to the radio. I have met older guys who are absolutely scandalized that I have a new Alpine deck on it , a tiny microphone on the dashboard for hands free and a tiny Sirius XM antenna on the car and all new speakers that you can't even see. My convertibles are weekend cars, but not show cars to be looked at and not driven.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 01-28-2015 at 02:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
Bc xj (01-28-2015), Jonathan-W (01-30-2015), orangeblossom (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
How about one of these instead OB?
Picked totally at random, I'm sure that others are available.
Slimline Bluetooth Wireless TV Sound Bar Hi-Def Speaker System
Hi Steve

You must have been reading my mind Again!

Earlier this evening, I was thinking of the very same thing but had a feeling these Soundbars were only available in 240 Volts.

This would be just perfect, for what I have in mind, as I could swap it over between my XJS's and maybe even lock it in 'The Cubby' when I'm parked.

The link was for a US Site, so does anybody know, if they are available in the UK!

Thanks again Steve

For that Brilliant Idea!

Old 01-28-2015, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Safari
Interesting idea. My only concern would be the weight.

The lid is pretty heavy and adding speakers would increase that. I'd be concerned that the stock supports might not be up to the job especially when you are driving the car, hitting bumps and such.

If you added an extra folding brace to support the lid then I think you would be ok.

Mark
Yeah! Mark

I agree but the 'Cubby Lid' is a pretty solid affair and I could even stick the Speaker Pods on with 'Velco' so no holes to drill.

No doubt you know the problem, as anything over 50 mph drowns out the Sound from the Speakers.

And while I love the 'Exhaust Note' I also love to listen to some tracks when I am driving, so would really love to have the best of both Worlds.

'Steve's' Soundbar suggeston, could well be the Answer that I am looking for, if they are available in 12 volts in the UK.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Do you intent on keeping the car forever? If not, do think you will be selling it to someone who will be upset that you installed speakers?

I know this is personal, but as far as I am concerned there are two types of modifications:

1) The "I never got beyond the boy racer phase but I am 25 y.o +" modifications such as;

After market rims (with rare exceptions)
Plasti-dip anything
Fake chrome side vents from auto-zone where they don't belong
Real cut out side vents where they don't belong
Any type of LED/HID lights that have a bluish tint
Trying to ""refresh"" a car that is clearly from the 70's with ""updates""
Etc, etc, etc.

2)And then there are functional, well thought out modifications such as;

Aftermarket cooling fans for engine or air conditioning cooling
Replacement radio with bluetooth, GPS, Sirius, etc to enhance safety
LEDS in OEM colors to enhance visibility, clarity
Anything enhancement that allows drivng your vehicle in the 21rst century.

Speakers on the cubby lid definately fall under the second category.

I am think I am a purist, but both my 74 and 95 have new Alpine decks with all modern conveniences. Bluetooth hands free talking is not negotiable as far as I am concerned. Neither is good sound. When I was given the 74 E it was absolutely stock right down to the radio. I have met older guys who are absolutely scandalized that I have a new Alpine deck on it , a tiny microphone on the dashboard for hands free and a tiny Sirius XM antenna on the car and all new speakers that you can't even see. My convertibles are weekend cars, but not show cars to be looked at and not driven.
Hi Spike

Although I am intending to keep this Car 'forever' I don't want to go the 'Boy Racer' Route, with any unfunctional 'Bling!'

But 'Steve S' came up with the 'Brilliant Idea' of a Sound Bar!

All I have to do right now is find a 12 volt one in the UK.

Hit me up if anyone can find one.

Jonathan-W (01-30-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hi OB!

I have a slightly different view. It seems you might consider what you're trying to achieve and you just might come up with a different view.

I guess you're trying to improve sound quality and also add some functionality such as auxiliary music input from mp3/iPod etc..

I had the same issue but also wanted phone integration as Mark suggested. I have a later model with Alpine equipment but decided changing the head unit first was the right approach. Having done that, I got everything I wanted and found the stock speakers are fine with the great functionality of the head unit significantly improving the sound quality. And with the hood down all the time, the car is not exactly acoustically optimal anyway!

See here for my article and photos:

www.jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8653

Good luck whatever you do.

Paul

orangeblossom (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

I had my cubby box removed and a rear seat fitted when l bought the Jag. years ago. Looking at it now l find it hard to believe that my 3 kids managed to sit there as 1 now has to be a contortionist to get in.

If only l had kept the box, worth something now. The speakers were moved to the side panels as in the later cars.

orangeblossom (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d
I had my cubby box removed and a rear seat fitted when l bought the Jag. years ago. Looking at it now l find it hard to believe that my 3 kids managed to sit there as 1 now has to be a contortionist to get in.

If only l had kept the box, worth something now. The speakers were moved to the side panels as in the later cars.
Hindsite is a Wonderful Thing!

Old 01-29-2015, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Hi OB!

I have a slightly different view. It seems you might consider what you're trying to achieve and you just might come up with a different view.

I guess you're trying to improve sound quality and also add some functionality such as auxiliary music input from mp3/iPod etc..

I had the same issue but also wanted phone integration as Mark suggested. I have a later model with Alpine equipment but decided changing the head unit first was the right approach. Having done that, I got everything I wanted and found the stock speakers are fine with the great functionality of the head unit significantly improving the sound quality. And with the hood down all the time, the car is not exactly acoustically optimal anyway!

See here for my article and photos:

JEC BB Index

Good luck whatever you do.

Paul
Hi Paul

Excellent write up and photos!

Wondering if I can get an adaptor for the 89 Stereo in my XJS

It certainly 'Sounds' like a great idea! but I'm sort of obsessed with adding a Soundbar if I can find one, or putting 2 extra Speakers, on the underside of the 'Cubby Box Lid'

That can be opened when driving, or folded down out of the way when not in use.

Anything over 50mph and I may as well switch the whole thing off.

P.S. how are you getting on with those new 'Speed Cameras' down your way.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Hi OB,

I know what it's like when you get a bee in your bonnet to fit something new!

If you could fit a soundbar on the underneath of the cubby lid, that would cause the least amount of change and could easily be reversed. You just need to find a way of keeping the lid up whilst driving so it wouldn't drop with emergency braking. Doesn't sound too difficult to find a way of doing that?

I don't know if you already have rear speakers? If not, maybe you could just change the rear side panels for a later pair that had speakers and even upgrade the speakers if you felt the need. With my new head unit, my original 4 speakers have been fine.

I think that plug I bought for £4.99 is the one you need for your car if you want to convert to ISO plugs. Readily available on ebay, type "PC2-66-4" and you'll find plenty.

Have had no speed camera problems recently as am still recovering from back operations, but hope to be out and about soon!

Cheers

Paul

orangeblossom (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by malc4d

I doing the opposite. I want to remove the back seat (useless) and install the cubby from my convertible. It will make room for speakers and amps.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Spike

Although I am intending to keep this Car 'forever' I don't want to go the 'Boy Racer' Route, with any unfunctional 'Bling!'

But 'Steve S' came up with the 'Brilliant Idea' of a Sound Bar!

All I have to do right now is find a 12 volt one in the UK.

Hit me up if anyone can find one.
Here you go....

DC 12V and AC 110/240v

Just ship it...

SuperSonic 37 2.1 Bluetooth Soundbar with USBand Display ? QVC.com

Old 01-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

what are the dimension of the cubby lid... I have something I might wish to mount on the underside

Old 01-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

I’ll throw my 2 cents in. I’m no audiophile, but the consensus on car audio forums seems to be to focus on the quality and amplification of your front speakers, as you can get plenty of sound from 2 speakers up front. On your car a 5.25” may be the biggest that will fit without any mods.

You could change the head unit/stereo to install one with an mp3 hookup, or find some other way to add an mp3 hookup to the existing stereo. Changing the head unit would make it easier to add an amplifier.

Or if you go the route of using an mp3 player directly into an amp, you could still send the signal to the front speakers.

I built a subwoofer tube to go in the cubby box of my XJS. It’s just a 6” pvc pipe about 19" long with a 6.25” tang band subwoofer designed to work well in a small sealed enclosure. It won’t rattle the neighborhood, but it will supplement the low end frequencies very well, and you can hear/feel it at 80 mph with the top down.

The sub was about $60 used and the pvc and black carpet, etc was cheap. It's easily removable if I need to use the cubby.

Best of luck whatever you try.

Attached Thumbnails Installing Speakers In Rear Cubby Box Lid-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Installing Speakers In Rear Cubby Box Lid