XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jaguar induced paranoia : Driving around and freaking out

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Bc xj
Have you tried to go to agents office and let them deal with it?
That was my Plan 'B' but if that doesn't work, then I am right out of Ammo!

Old 03-04-2015, 10:01 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling
Heh guys.

Is it just me or do you drive your classic around "on edge" ?

I'm constantly listening for any bump, squeak, vibration that doesn't seem normal. Any gear change that didn't "feel" right. Half the time I think it is all in my head! I have no justification for this as so far it has been reliable and not broke down on me. (Just some minor things) Half the time I don't know whether I am just imagining something or I'm ultra sensitive to how my car "normally" drives. I get in our 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander and I dont give two hoots how it drives.
I have become bloody paranoid!! I constantly run "what if's" through my head. What if she broke down here on this strip of highway. What if I couldn't start it here?
What are your guys experience? I just wanna drive and relax! Tell me it's ok. Help me!!
I have always found it rather interesting that those of us that tend to be rather precise about our cars etc. will seek out the very things that can make us uptight.

At face value seems rather silly that we would spend good money for something we really do not need like an older XJS just so we can then turn around and worry about getting rock chips, door dings etc. I remember after I bought my first one I was driving through the mountains at night coming back from a day trip with the club just worrying about hitting a deer. I just kept thinking how devastated I would be if not only my new baby was damaged but also how long I would be without it just to track down needed parts and get repaired. So what game plan did I come up with to help ease my neurotic little mind? I decided I would buy an even nicer one to have waiting in the garage so that way I would never again worry about the one I was driving-LOL. Yea I know nuts if you ask me but it has worked out brilliantly and lets face it we are just care takers so get out and enjoy the ride , crank up the tunes and show your neighbors what great taste you really have- they will have a GOOD LAUGH over the years watching how many times you wash the classic any way.

The following 5 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
Bc xj (03-05-2015), Mkii250 (03-05-2015), o1xjr (03-05-2015), orangeblossom (03-04-2015), paulyling (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Well put mate

Old 03-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

I have just found something else to get Paranoid about!

Should I take the Spotlight Covers off my XJS, on the rare occaisions when I park Her anywhere.

Without going into details, I think we know just how much they are worth! so can I get some Aftermarket ones to replace them with?

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
... I decided I would buy an even nicer one to have waiting in the garage so that way I would never again worry about the one I was driving-LOL. Yea I know nuts if you ask me but it has worked out brilliantly and lets face it we are just care takers so get out and enjoy the ride , crank up the tunes...
Well said and exactly why I bought a second Jag last year (S3 XJ6), which I think is a special car but, dare I say it, an ordinary Jag (easier to replace than my XJS). I'm saving the XJS for special occasions for the rest of my life.

paulyling (03-05-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

I think I've got a Superiority Complex!

The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (06-24-2015), Mkii250 (03-07-2015), paulyling (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

When I drive the E type or the XJS my eyes are unsafely glued to the rearview mirrors. The paranoia that some idiot on his cell phone will rear end me is sometimes overwhelming. As a precaution I have changed all the rear lights on both cars to modern high power LED's so that they are brighter and hopefully more obvious to people . Being rear ended and wondering where to park are what ruins the driving fun for me when driving those cars.

My daily driver is an X type so I can still get a little bit of the vintage Jaguar feel, but don't have to think about where to park or have my eyes glued to the rearview.

The following 3 users liked this post by Spikepaga:
LuvmyXJS' (03-07-2015), orangeblossom (03-07-2015), paulyling (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

My XJ-S actually calmed me down more... It has it's rattles and clonks but they belong to old cars like grey hair to educated men...

My XJ8 worries me though because it makes NO noises inside. No rattles or clunks. Not even a little "tack tack" or so. So once a sound gets through, it worries the hell out of me. On top of that it was leaking water, leaking petrol and co... So you never knew: will the engine overheat? Will it burst into flames?

paulyling (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
When I drive the E type or the XJS my eyes are unsafely glued to the rearview mirrors. The paranoia that some idiot on his cell phone will rear end me is sometimes overwhelming. As a precaution I have changed all the rear lights on both cars to modern high power LED's so that they are brighter and hopefully more obvious to people . Being rear ended and wondering where to park are what ruins the driving fun for me when driving those cars.

My daily driver is an X type so I can still get a little bit of the vintage Jaguar feel, but don't have to think about where to park or have my eyes glued to the rearview.
You might want to add one of these:

BackOFF? XP Brake Light Module - Signal Dynamics

perfectly legal under NHTSA as long as you are in 5 flash mode.

This particular unit can drive up to 10 amps which is adequate
for cars. A bit bigger than a tictac box and the case is anodized
aluminum heatsink.

Drivers behind tend to do one of two things:

a) go around

b) back off

FastCat85 (06-30-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Its a wonder that some of you can drive your cars at all.
We arent talking about rare $250000 cars here.
Get in, start it and drive it.
We bought these cars to have some fun, didn't we?
Thats why I bought mine.
If I was that paranoid about mine I would sell it and buy a Honda.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bc xj:
Greg in France (06-24-2015), paulyling (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 08:35 PM

Ha ha, that is a very valid point!

orangeblossom (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member

It certainly is a Wonder we can drive these Cars at all.

I filled her up on Friday £120 (UK) and on Saturday Afternoon I 'topped up' the tank with another £80 (UK) OMG!

Today is Sunday and looking set to be a Sunny Day, so no doubt by the time it gets dark, most of that will be gone!

paulyling (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Bc xj
Its a wonder that some of you can drive your cars at all.
We arent talking about rare $250000 cars here.
Get in, start it and drive it.
We bought these cars to have some fun, didn't we?
Thats why I bought mine.
If I was that paranoid about mine I would sell it and buy a Honda.
The crazy thing about having so much passion and focus on a car is that the cost of the object is not really the concern. We all carry enough insurance to handle most of the "what if's" that can happen out on the road.

For me living in Idaho it was as much to do with access to parts etc. as anything. On the other hand if you live in a congested area with loads of traffic you are always one stop away from feeling like someone may rear end your car or run a light etc.

That all being said I have come to the perspective that these cars are to be driven and enjoyed. Yes, for me I have a back up and that does help put my mind at ease when it comes to delays etc., but the most fun I have is getting out and enjoying the XJS for what it was built to be , a " Grand Tour er".

I have the most fun driving the car on a nice open country road but then again I do enjoy every one checking out the car in town traffic etc.

When you think about it who do you think cares more about a classic car? The owner who has loads of money and can spend millions on one car to add to their collection or someone like myself who has limited funds to spend on an older car.

If you are like myself, you really have to decide what car will not only fit your budget but will also hit as many of the wants that you have on your list. You then spend hours upon hours searching out the best fit and at this time still may have never even sat in a vehicle like the one you are searching for because you have nothing to look at around your area.

So from first hand experience I get why for many of us finding our XJS means so much. It is like adopting a child into your family- only with the XJS you can shut the door, turn off the lights and leave it unattended for days at a time-LOL!!!!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
Mkii250 (03-08-2015), orangeblossom (03-08-2015), paulyling (03-08-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

If you are like myself, you really have to decide what car will not only fit your budget but will also hit as many of the wants that you have on your list. You then spend hours upon hours searching out the best fit and at this time still may have never even sat in a vehicle like the one you are searching for because you have nothing to look at around your area.
You are totally on target. I looked at 100's of XJS's on line as it is the car that I have admired for years but had not driven or even sat in. I found one locally and thought that I would at least sit in and drive to be sure it was truly what I wanted. A red car was not on my list of color choices as the only ones I saw on line had the tan interior.
The one I found locally was red with charcoal interior and was in excellent condition both inside and out and had spent almost its entire life in Florida. I had the president of the local Jaguar club inspect and drive the car with me and after getting his expert opinion, I purchased the car.

LuvmyXJS' (03-09-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I know what you mean. I parked my jag at the empty end of a parking lot the other day and don't you know, some guy in a truck came and parked next to it. i swear he tried to hit it with his truck door, then got out looked at my Jag, then spit on the ground and walked away. AGGGGGGGGGH

Old 06-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd buy a skirt,you newworlder!

Sorry about this, Paul, went a bit heavy on the malt.
I mean to say, drive the old girl, that's what she's meant for.....

Last edited by haddock; 06-21-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:29 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Guys

why the concern about driving the car, that's what it is designed for. Perhaps we all spend too much time reading about the strange questions being posed over even the most minute perceived issue.

I drive both our XJS's (1984 HE and 1967 pre-HE convertible) in exactly the same way I drive the Lexus by getting in the car and turning the key. Yes, there is a difference, insofar that I have to reset the battery cutoff switch, which is a simple precaution I have on all my cars.

last month, turned the key, fueled up and drover the HE 840 km from home to Sydney and back 2 days later. No fuss, no watching gauges or expecting things to go wrong. Just simple pleasure of hearing those 12 cylinders purr as it was designed to do. Negativity ? Nothing, except constant frustration at being limited to 110 KMH in a car that only starts to come alive at a 160.

Take a tip, service the XJS as per the handbook, turn the key and enjoy every moment behind the wheel. Most important, stop listening to the nay sayers who wouldn't know their A from their E.

have fun
BernardS

The following 5 users liked this post by narrowgauger:
Bc xj (06-21-2015), Grant Francis (06-21-2015), Greg in France (06-24-2015), JJS- Florida (03-10-2024), paulyling (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 04:53 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Thanks Bernard,

We Aussies do amaze the masses mostly.

Our ability to drive all over this country is a car that most others world never dream of taking more than 20 miles from a dealer, has them all stumped, followed by awe.

Doing a 480kms round trip tomorrow for lunch, WHY NOT. Sadly the V12's have left the garage, so a lowly V6 S Type will suffice.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (06-24-2015), paulyling (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

The only noise that bothers me is the POLICE SIREN BEHIND ME!
Its Ok to be vigilant but its sounds like your boarding on hypochondria, these cars are tougher than what you think. I have two Bitsashitties and there the ones I listen out for.

The following 4 users liked this post by Katoh:
Bc xj (06-21-2015), Grant Francis (06-21-2015), Greg in France (06-24-2015), paulyling (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 05:15 PM

Since starting the post I have taken my XJS for its longest trip (was only about 300kms round trip last month) and done a few close to that as well.

She went without a hiccup and I have definitely gained more confidence in taking her further. I guess it is a "new owner to classic car" thing.

I think they more you drive it the more comfortable you feel.

The following 3 users liked this post by paulyling:
Grant Francis (06-21-2015), Greg in France (06-24-2015), orangeblossom (06-22-2015)

Quick Reply: Jaguar induced paranoia : Driving around and freaking out