Leaper or no leaper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
What an Amazing Color!

What shade of Green is She?
Color is "Brooklands Green", I suppose one of the many shades of BRG that Jaguar has used over the years.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,747 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Color is "Brooklands Green", I suppose one of the many shades of BRG that Jaguar has used over the years.

Cheers,
Very nice, She looks lovely!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

Very nice, She looks lovely!
You're very kind to her... and we much appreciate your comment.

BTW, her shine comes from professional wet sanding, which I've never done myself and it is for certain the best finish I've ever had in any of my cars.

Cheers,

orangeblossom (03-04-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Going back to the "leaper or no leaper" subject, I have an idea. I think there's some influence from repetition, or from what one's used to see only no leaper and then, all of a sudden you see one with the leaper and say "where did that come from"? So, I guess if the cars (XJS) had come from the factory all with leapers from day one and then one day we see one without the leaper, perhaps we'd find it boring? -- This theory is kind of like what happens when you've listened to a certain piece of music, always by the same artist, like, say, a piano concerto and then one day you're in your car and they play on the radio the same piece by another pianist...and you say "what da....? It's the same piece, the same melody, but it sounds totally differeny and you certainly cannot stand it (it has happened to me several times). -- Just a thought.

However, in my personal opinion, I think that the XJS hood is kind of flat and anything that rises above it in the manner that a leaper does, kind of kills the aesthetic effect of the XJS' superb lines, and truly more so with the pre-facelift V12's, yet flatter bonnet. Yes, my vote is for "no-leaper".

This one below would be an interesting badge to show off on your bonnet...

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Leaper or no leaper?-hood-badge-special-one-2.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Forcedair1:
orangeblossom (03-03-2015), ronbros (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member

Going back to the "leaper or no leaper" subject, I have an idea. I think there's some influence from repetition, or from what one's used to see only no leaper and then, all of a sudden you see one with the leaper and say "where did that come from"? So, I guess if the cars (XJS) had come from the factory all with leapers from day one and then one day we see one without the leaper, perhaps we'd find it boring? -- This theory is kind of like what happens when you've listened to a certain piece of music, always by the same artist, like, say, a piano concerto and then one day you're in your car and they play on the radio the same piece by another pianist...and you say "what da....? It's the same piece, the same melody, but it sounds totally differeny and you certainly cannot stand it (it has happened to me several times). -- Just a thought.

However, in my personal opinion, I think that the XJS hood is kind of flat and anything that rises above it in the manner that a leaper does, kind of kills the aesthetic effect of the XJS' superb lines, and truly more so with the pre-facelift V12's, yet flatter bonnet. Yes, my vote is for "no-leaper".

Cheers,
I wonder what 'Greg in France' would think of fitting one of those?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-03-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

However, in my personal opinion, I think that the XJS hood is kind of flat and anything that rises above it in the manner that a leaper does, kind of kills the
aesthetic effect of the XJS' superb lines, and truly more so with the pre-facelift V12's, yet flatter bonnet. Yes, my vote is for "no-leaper".

Cheers,
thanks forced, that is what from day one what caught my eye,the LONG flat hood, it seemed so masculine!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

I saw a comment that you get points off in any concours judging if the Leaper is on the
Jag if it wasn't installed at the factory. The Growler badge was the standard emblem and should be displayed for any judging events.
Well, I'm the only judge that counts when it comes to my XJS 2+2 and I say the Leaper
is BOSS! Same goes for my 1999 XJ8 VDP

The following 2 users liked this post by scarbro2011:
Gunner01 (03-04-2015), Spikepaga (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member

You're very kind to her... and we much appreciate your comment.

BTW, her shine comes from professional wet sanding, which I've never done myself and it is for certain the best finish I've ever had in any of my cars.

Cheers,
I would never dare Wet Sand a Car, so whoever did yours must have been an expert.

Any chance of putting up a big pic?

Definately one of the nicest XJS's I have ever seen!

ronbros (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

I would never dare Wet Sand a Car, so whoever did yours must have been an expert.

OB wet sanding is common nowadays, by most good detail shops!

i had a 1950 Cadillac black ,back 20 odd yrs, and i was skeptical about it, but they wet sanded the paint and applied a polish, and it came out 99% perfect, far better than original black paint.

The following 2 users liked this post by ronbros:
Forcedair1 (03-05-2015), orangeblossom (03-05-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, OB.
Yes, it was a professional who specializes in show car painting. He paints and then finishes it off with color-sanding, turning out like a mirror. I've seen how's done, but I've never tried to do it myself; maybe some day...

I'll post a couple of pics, but you'll still need to click on them to make them big. They still may not come out as big as you request, as I've noticed that, even when I think a pic may be too big to post here, it still turns out smaller than some other posted pics, don't know why. So, here it goes:

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Leaper or no leaper?-cimg2302-.jpg   Leaper or no leaper?-cimg2291-reduced.jpg   Leaper or no leaper?-cimg1856-reduced.jpg   Leaper or no leaper?-cimg2299-reduced-275.jpg  
orangeblossom (03-04-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, OB.
Yes, it was a professional who specializes in show car painting. He paints and then finishes it off with color-sanding, turning out like a mirror. I've seen how's done, but I've never tried to do it myself; maybe some day...

I'll post a couple of pics, but you'll still need to click on them to make them big. They still may not come out as big as you request, as I've noticed that, even when I think a pic may be too big to post here, it still turns out smaller than some other posted pics, don't know why. So, here it goes:

Cheers,
Absolutely Amazing!

Thanks for Posting those, I also love that front grill did you have it Custom Made or is it an aftermarket accessory?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros
OB wet sanding is common nowadays, by most good detail shops!

i had a 1950 Cadillac black ,back 20 odd yrs, and i was skeptical about it, but they wet sanded the paint and applied a polish, and it came out 99% perfect, far better than original black paint.
Hi Ron

They don't have any detailing shops round my way, I had enough trouble getting a 60mm Exhaust Pipe Clamp!

If you want a Custom Paint job or anything like that, then you have to go and seek them out.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Over 1750 people have read this thread but only 50 have voted! Come on everyone, hit that button at the top of the page!

Old 03-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

Absolutely Amazing!

Thanks for Posting those, I also love that front grill did you have it Custom Made or is it an aftermarket accessory?
You're welcome.

The grille was cut from the thicker material they were using on Range Rover aftermarket grilles, and which is the same that Jaguar has used on the later cars, as compared to, say, the finer grille they used on my older 2002 XJR.

I bought the rough size piece and then used a power rotary cutter to fit it correctly in there (hard cutting work). Then I did all the custom, one of a kind sculpting at each end, so it looks like it is there from the factory. Yes, all custom made and far more sophisticated than that "tack on" piece that the Mina Gallery sells for the XJS. -- But... I don't even want to think if I ever rear end somebody and have to go back to square one making and installing all that. ouch!

orangeblossom (03-06-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkii250
Over 1750 people have read this thread but only 50 have voted! Come on everyone, hit that button at the top of the page!
My guess is, no one really cares what others do with their own cars

Old 03-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

This here shows both grilles. Unfortunately, the bottom piece required a cut out for the towing hook. Please, click on it to make it full size.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Leaper or no leaper?-cimg2050-reduced.jpg  
Old 03-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Default Living without the 'Leaper'

Today I took the decision to take the 'Leaper' off for Two main reasons.

Jaguar never fitted them as Standard.

And I absolutely hate the Blinking Thing, as it takes away the lovely sweep of that very long Bonnet/Hood.

Especially on my Car where the P.O. had it stuck right in the middle.

Which I suspect was put there as an aiming mark to line up the kerb.

Removal was dead easy, just a couple of bolts to undo but I didn't like what I was to find underneath.

As whoever fitted that 'Leaper' had done the bolts up so tight, that it dug into the Paintwork and put a dip in the Bonnet/Hood!

So with it gone, I covered the holes with a couple of Screw Caps, untill I could find something better.

From 5ft away it looks OK but the closer you get the worse it tends to look.

So I will have to have the dent removed and that part of the Bonnet/Hood repainted.

But that pales into insignificance, with the Joy of no longer having to look at the Blinking thing!

And though the Color of the Bonnet/Hood matches the Color of the kerb maybe a little too much, I very quickly got used to it so far without any problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
pablomonk (03-07-2015), ronbros (03-07-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

You're welcome.

The grille was cut from the thicker material they were using on Range Rover aftermarket grilles, and which is the same that Jaguar has used on the later cars, as compared to, say, the finer grille they used on my older 2002 XJR.

I bought the rough size piece and then used a power rotary cutter to fit it correctly in there (hard cutting work). Then I did all the custom, one of a kind sculpting at each end, so it looks like it is there from the factory. Yes, all custom made and far more sophisticated than that "tack on" piece that the Mina Gallery sells for the XJS. -- But... I don't even want to think if I ever rear end somebody and have to go back to square one making and installing all that. ouch!
Hi Reinaldo

You've really made a very nice job of that Grill which even looks so OEM, you would think that its meant to be on there.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Bc xj
My guess is, no one really cares what others do with their own cars
On the contrary, I didn't even know there was a "pole" at the top of the page till he recently mentioned it. I'm sure others didn't either. Many access this forum through their phones, iPads, tablets etc which appear different and aren't always as intuitive as the PC screen/version.

texasscot (03-08-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Today I took the decision to take the 'Leaper' off for Two main reasons.

Jaguar never fitted them as Standard.

And I absolutely hate the Blinking Thing, as it takes away the lovely sweep of that very long Bonnet/Hood.

Especially on my Car where the P.O. had it stuck right in the middle.

Which I suspect was put there as an aiming mark to line up the kerb.

Removal was dead easy, just a couple of bolts to undo but I didn't like what I was to find underneath.

As whoever fitted that 'Leaper' had done the bolts up so tight, that it dug into the Paintwork and put a dip in the Bonnet/Hood!

So with it gone, I covered the holes with a couple of Screw Caps, untill I could find something better.

From 5ft away it looks OK but the closer you get the worse it tends to look.

So I will have to have the dent removed and that part of the Bonnet/Hood repainted.

But that pales into insignificance, with the Joy of no longer having to look at the Blinking thing!

And though the Color of the Bonnet/Hood matches the Color of the kerb maybe a little too much, I very quickly got used to it so far without any problems.

I'm glad that you've made the correct decision. Your kitty looks wonderful and that thing in the middle of the hood made her no justice.

Again, congrats!

Cheers,

orangeblossom (03-06-2015)

Quick Reply: Leaper or no leaper?