XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Myrtle Productions – My Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Another source for interior trim

There is a gentleman in Quebec, Canada that works with Jaguar wood trim including ski slope application. He has done all my interior trim to include the dash instrument cluster and ski slope. I can provide his information via private message. See the attachments of his work for me. I own a 93 XJS coupe.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
Is there a UV resistant varnish that you considered? The ski slope I bought from British Autowood was beautiful, but it has since faded. Not the fault of British Autowood, no delamination nor cracks, and I was warned that it would happen.

That being said, I was wondering if there was some kind if varnish or topcoat that could eliminate, or minimize the fading.
Adding a small quantity of mica to the varnish will prevent UV penetration. The mica acts like millions of microscopic mirrors that reflect the UV rays and prevent the rays from attacking the surface between the varnish layer and the veneer.

The varnish will appear slightly cloudy in the can but perfectly clear when applied.

Adding mica is common practice in varnish finishes used in marine environments.

cheers

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Japthug (12-12-2014)
Old 12-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought a woodgrain steering wheel from Myrtle earlier this year. It made it through 1 summer with no ill-effects. Hopefully it holds up. I had horrible experience with their customer service. Just getting someone to answer a phone or return an email was a chore. But they were the only ones that had the steering wheel that I wanted.

As for wood trim replacement. I had Madera do an XKR dash a few years ago and had no issues.

With the XJS, I used Saul from British Autowood | Dashboard and Woodwork Restoration. He was very easy to talk to, reasonably priced, and did a fantasitic job. Saul did the re-veneering in the picture and you can see the wheel too:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-110061/page2/

Old 12-23-2014, 04:13 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by richkaz
How about a DIY job.
In the UK we occasionally get a show called Wheeler Dealers.
A fat bloke who knows nothing about cars buys a ' classic' and a thin bloke who knows alot about cars does them up.
They then sell the car and congratulate themselves about the profit they made.
They don't tell you that the thin bloke apparently runs a charity for old cars and restores them free of charge
After 11 minutes of this episode Ed the mechanic does a very nice DIY repair on the ski slope.

Wheeler Dealers - S06E09 - Jaguar XJS - Car Videos on StreetFire

Love the show Wheeler dealers we gat it here in the States. that said, I will agree, you always love that certain place until something does not work and you get hassled about the return. I have ran into this with a place (don't remember their name) I got a steering rack from, as soon as my shop put it on, go the fluid in, it leaked worse than the bad one. called for a replacement, got a run around> I jumped back nasty to them and told them I sent the old one to you, send me the new one, when I get it I will send the bad one back, Had to fight but won, so I thought, second one sent, put on, leaked like a water fountain. Called them again told them off demanded money back, which I never saw, and got one from a name auto stare which is what I should have done first.

As far as my wood work , k on my 1984 XJS, I did mine myself. But I have done woodworking for 15years, times like these I wish I kept my shop tools to help some of you out, only with not doing anything for the last 2yrs sold it all off and am concentrating on the Jag. Oh, and cars was my first love before the Service I went to school for automotive

Last edited by daverb; 12-23-2014 at 04:21 AM. Reason: to add some more info
Old 01-01-2015, 05:25 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Wheeler Dealers are on the Internet
Robinpace is right on the ball. Spar varnish or lacquer makes a good cover, I made a new dash for an XJ6 using half inch walnut which I oiled. instrument holes made with hole saws or saber saws. There are sellers of fine wood laminates (How about a rosewood or ebony dash?) on the internet which you can glue with contact cement to your dash or ski slope. If you don't want to do it, there is usually some laminators nearby or on the internet This DIY is a lot less than then the prices I see quoted above

Last edited by afterburner1; 01-01-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I too have bought a new Ski mSlope with the cup holders from the man in Quebec, plus a great shifter knob with the cap I wanted too. Great price, good on-line dealer, and very good quality items.