XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Need advice concerning fuel delivery.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by xjstrader
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the pick...so a couple of things. The line on the left side bottom of the tank is I presume the return line from excess fuel. Yes, the fuel rail return from B bank.

The low center one is the main line which should head to filters and fuel pump and eventually out to the hose/pipe on the very right side of car to the right side of battery back to fuel rails/regulators correct? YES, this is the main high pressure feed to the fuel rail on A bank. It goes out of the boot (trunk) in the equivalent position that the return line comes in.

I''ll need to check my hook-ups again because I had a little bit of fuel coming out of the line that is a 1/3 way up on the tank on the right side (just left of battery). I did have it plugged but my plug was temporary and I noticed fuel dripping out of it so I unplugged it while I had my fuel pump running and some fuel came out. It eventually stopped while the fuel pump was still running however. Could this be indicative of pressure building up in the main tank? There is pipe inside the tank that runs from this inlet on the tank up to the top inside. This is why not much is coming out. Block this inlet securely.

When I take the middle main line off the fuel pump, I only get a trickle of fuel, not a tremendous amount of flow. I would expect this to flow pretty well since it is gravity fed correct? First off, take the feed line off the tank main outlet and see if it runds easily FILLER SPOUT OPEN. The purge system/Rochester valve will allow a little vac to build up before releasing it (pump does not mind). This may be the reason. If not, and the tank main outlet runs fine, check the pipe from it to the pump. Also check whether the pre-filter you have before the pump is free flowing enough. Needs to be BIG and have 13mm (1/2 inch inlets and outlets).

I fill the tank with fuel and will do so with more to ensure that isn't the case. Thanks again for your help!!!https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...s/icon_lol.gif
Advise not fill the tank until the problem is found!

Good luck

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 01-29-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I'm a fairly new xjs owner having had the ride for about a year. I've used it as a daily driver here in Massachusetts without issue.
The 1989 ragtop's odometer says 38k mi, but I suspect it's got a bit more on it than that.
These past few days I've replaced the steering rack, pump, and all of the hoses. While on my back in the driveway the car was jacked up enough for me to work under it. Only tthe front end was up in the air.
Since the job's compleation and while on the way to get an alignment did the car exhibit a stall after having started it on more than one occaision as I'd run some errands on the way to the allignment shop. One of the errands was to get some fuel and I noticed when I opened the fuel tank was I surprised with an outrush of fuel vapor, in short: "a woosh" of pressure relief. I drove from the filling station on the highway to the alignment shop, had the tranny fluid and oil changed as well and then got on the highway to go home. The car ran like a dream until the engine quit in the left hand lane. Undoubtably owing to my clean living and early piety did the engine run up again, but did the same trick for me a few more times on the highway, but while in the right hand lane. When I got off the highway and speed slowed did the car die and would not restart. I did open the fuel tank cap and was again met with a woosh of pressure relief as the car had not done this on any prior occaision. Presently the arrest me red 1989 xjs ragtop is in the driveway with a new fuel filter and high pressure on either side of it. Anyone have any ideas where to turn next as it seems the pump's ok.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Thanks in advance for any help
Claude Dancer
1989 arrest me red ragtop no start

Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,915 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Are you sure that the tank is venting and not sucking in when you open the filler cap?
The only real way that you can develop pressure in the tank is if you putting more in than you are taking out; if you are managing to put more fuel in than you are taking out then you have struck really lucky!
I'm not sure if there is any connection possible between the exhaust system and the fuel tank (I would sincerely hope not) but I would suggest that your problem lies with blocked tank vent lines.
If it is bad enough to starve the engine then they are seriously blocked and causing the fuel pump to try and create a vacuum in the tank which isn't good.
If the pump is worn or the filters blocked then that isn't going to help either but I would check the vent pipes first; I've got the same problem but it doesn't stop the engine.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Default 89 xjs ragtop not starting

Hello,
Thanks for getting back to me Steve M. I've had a chance to look around a bit, but I'
m without a multimeter presently as it's on my 40 yr old wooden boat. Some are indeed sicker than others. The boat's got a 120 hp Lehman and has no need for the meter at present, but the XJS is the daily driver so getting arounds been special these last few days.
I did have a chance to see if there is in deed fuel pressure and when I broke connections just at the entry tio the rale on both sides did the gas shoot into the neighbor's yard.
I have K+ N filtration at the aftermarket Air Intake and removed them, opened the throttle wide open and shot the intake with starting fluid and then did crank the engine without a sputter being generated. No hint of anything being combusted.
I then pulled the # 4 plug wire off of the plug and used an insulated screwdriver to try and elicit a spark from the wire while cranking the engine to no avail. I was brazen enough when I did not see an arc to try my forefinger on the screwdriver and felt nothing.
I think. I know I'm stuck presently with fuel at the engine that's under pressure and no spark. I have a Lucas Ignition. I've not lifted the distributor cap to see what might reside there by way of rotor/cap condition, but will when I get out of work in the morning.
Any other suggestions would be helpful and I'd look forward to hearing from any of you when you've a min.
Make it a good day.
Claude

Old 05-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,915 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Good man! Welcome to the club. A knackered XJS and a 40 year old wooden boat; I've got a good XJS, a knackered XJS and a 51 year old wooden boat. And an old thatched cottage. I have 3 meters so that I always have one to hand when I need it. We had a voltage spike at home last week that burned out the fuse (and cracked the fuse box) to the electric Aga cooker; you can never have enough meters.
As for the car, no spark means no electric so you will have to trace backwards to find out where the supply stops; it will probably be either the distributor or the coil and substition with a known good unit is the easiest way to proceed.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 PM

Hi Doug
I have a 77 xjs v12, unmollested. I had aweird thing happen the other day whilst driving. We drove about 20km's, stopped and had lunch. After lunch the jag started but then stalled. It started again so I proceeded to head home. After about 1/2 a km driving up hill the jag started to lose all power but not completely, I pulled down a side road, after a bit it was though it cleared itself and all seemed ok. Not sure what the surge tank is like as to my knowledge it has never been removed/looked at. I am considering removeing it and adding a filter. I have owned the car for over 10 years and it has been well maintained and serviced. Any comment/advice would be greatly recieved. One thing I forgot to mention was that when I went to retart the car after lunch, when I turned on the ignition the rev counter swung over to 6000 stayed there then zeroed. This has never happened before. Regards, Graham