XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Power window motors...

Old 12-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Power window motors...

Hey all!

I've been wondering the last ~8 months why I can't install an original speaker (bought the last two original brand new speakers for the XJ-S from Jaguar ) in my passenger side door.

I've had to buy some smaller speakers, just to get it in and have some sound from both sides...

After searching around, I've noticed that there are the large black motors (seem common on cars from 1975 to 1989) and the small motors (common on cars from 1989 to 1996). My car is of course a 1989.

WHEN did Jaguar change the motors? I can't get to my drivers side, as the clip around the arm rest won't undo without damaging the door card (grrr) so I can't check. But WHAT motor should I actually have?

I'm guessing a previous owner needed a new window and replaced it with an older lifter from an older model. As there was neither a water guard nor a speaker in the opening, that is what I would assume for now...

Or was the speaker change more so? Did the speakers change in the course of the car lives?

Cheers

Damien

Old 12-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Window motors + XJS = complicated subject !

My '88 XJS (Fed '87 build) had the smaller motors

Cheers
DD

Old 12-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Try wrapping string around the leather on handle. That should shrink to leather a bit and keep the chrome piece from scatching the leather.
The same way you can take a ring off a fat finger. Lol

Old 12-14-2014, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
WHEN did Jaguar change the motors?
I don't think Jaguar even know the answer to this question. I have an 89 and it seems they used parts bin engineering. Bolting to the car what they had at hand.

You should still be able to fit speakers. The XJS had speakers in the same position for its entire life.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

Okay then... So if you could always get a speaker (original) in, why can't I now?

Is the wrong motor (driver side instead of passenger side) fitted? Is that even possible?

As the motor that side is a tad slow and sticky, I'll see if I can get one from a breakers yard... Must be a small one then

Old 12-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Are you *sure* the window motor is what's preventing the speaker installation?

It's been some time so my memory is foggy....but I'm really having a hard time visualizing how/where the window motor could possibly interfere. I recall the speakers being very low and well forward....and window motors being more towards the center of the door

Cheers
DD

Old 12-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, it is the motor.

I had to buy some very flat speakers, which of course have a different sound level compared to the original factory speakers.

The speakers bought are original Jaguar parts... It really is the motor. The housing/body is quite far down... Meaning it is quite low and interfers in the area of the speaker...

Old 12-15-2014, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,076 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Daim
Can you post a photo of the door inside? Like Doug, I cannot see how there could be a problem, outside someone fitting non-standard kit. On my car the entire width of the door is free.

Greg

Old 12-15-2014, 03:04 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Daim
Can you post a photo of the door inside? Like Doug, I cannot see how there could be a problem, outside someone fitting non-standard kit. On my car the entire width of the door is free.

Greg

don't forget the ' rain shield ' cover that should be there to protect the original speaker ,
this is separate to the rain curtain that hangs down inside the door

BB

Old 12-16-2014, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Daim

Greg
Can do... Will take a few days due to time...

Old 12-26-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with Daim. Have taken the motors out of my 89 xjs convertible and also from my 89 same parts car. The motors are in the center of the door. Since you have the speakers out, seems that you should be able to reach inside the cavity and find what may be blocking the ample space that should be behind the speaker opening !!!
You might also try something about the stiffness of a match book cover, lubricated with a little petro jelly cut to the size of width of the metal holder, and then pull gently back so as not to scratch the leather. Since your motor operates slowly, you really need to check to see if it is binding on the window rails or if the motor is not mounted securely. Could also be some other likely fixes before changing out the motor.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member

Okay, picture time...

The black object (which is the motor) is marked in the ring. One screw is also missing, so I assume somehow, that the previous owner tried to wedge it in...

Old 12-29-2014, 04:50 PM

OK, attached is a photo of the passenger side (right) motor and mount from my parts car. It is the same on my 89 xjs 2 door convertible. It appears that your motors are different and the mount modified to house the motor.
I say this because the spring mechanism is different also. It is not difficult to remove the motor and housing from where you are, but seems like a lot of work to install deeper speakers.... but !!!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

shouldn't need to modify anything, the older motors and regulators bolt right into the car. I don't have this issue with my 88, so maybe its not located properly?

Old 12-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kenatofc

OK, attached is a photo of the passenger side (right) motor and mount from my parts car. It is the same on my 89 xjs 2 door convertible. It appears that your motors are different and the mount modified to house the motor.
I say this because the spring mechanism is different also. It is not difficult to remove the motor and housing from where you are, but seems like a lot of work to install deeper speakers.... but !!!
Now that looks different. And it isn't about fitting a deeper speaker. It is about fitting ORIGINAL speakers. If Imcan't fit a factory speaker, then something is wrong.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

As far as I can see now, the previous owner fitted a window motor from the drivers side to the passenger side...

The motor should, as far as I can see, be above the hinge point around which the mechanism pivots. Not below (as mine is). So either I've got to bodge it to fit or get an entire new motor assembly...

Btw... The convert window mounting brackets are different to those of a coupé as the coupé has the quarter lights and shorter/smaller windows to drop as to the longer ones from a convert.

Last edited by Daim; 12-31-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:06 AM

Sorry, you are correct... Was not paying attention to the differences between the Coupe / Convertible.... Off to the garage to play with my mental blocks !!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced that same motor on my '88 and it looks as if yours was installed "upside down". The speaker cutout should be free and clear. A warning on the after market Bosch replacement motors - the gear pitch doesn't quite match the OEM regulator gear. I'm just living with he skips at this point.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

As far as I now know, I've got older motor(s). It is upside down so I'll be fixing that soon... Or at least I'll try. Replacement part is JLM11003/11001. So either get that to work orfull replacement...

Old 01-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

hi, i have same problem how do you get the door card off? is there a screw behind the chrome ring on door handle? i tried to get card off had problems stop short of damaging the card. i have manual on cd but give me trouble on parts with the pdf files . is there a online 1989 convert manual i can down load. also the rear motors do you have to remove the box to get to the card need to work on rears as well? thanks for all replies !!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power window motors...