XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Radiator swap out and more: A mission to stop my XJS overheating up big hills

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:11 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

ha ha you didnt tell me you had head ache tablets!

I think the Berroca and the Pie fixed me right up.

BTW

Just checked my atmospheric overflow, she was empty so put her back up to 2 inches so, as Grant mentioned, she wont be sucking in air on startup.

Thanks for the info dude

p.s I watched the Big Steal again tonight.....I am so that kid lol! And the lead chick is hot!

Old 12-05-2014, 05:16 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Good news Paul.

Just keep an eye on that atmospheric bottle under the bonnet. Make sure it has about 2" of coolant when Cold, and as it cools it does not run dry, or it will suck air into the system.

This shoudl only be needed for a few days until it burps the last little bits of air out of its bowels.

That RH fan should not be on until it reaches "about" the top lip of the "N". If its ON all the time, sounds like the over ride switch is accidently ON, or the temp sensor up the front is playing up (not common). OR, the fan relay has found a stray earth, and is activated. That thermo switch, AND the inside switch, only switch that relay earth circuit. Not a major MUST DO item by any means.

The temp gauge dropping with the 2 fans on is kind of normal at the moment, as the system will still have some small air bubbles in it, and it will settle as I said.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 12-05-2014 at 05:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
paulyling (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 05:21 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Originally Posted by paulyling

I think the Berroca and the Pie fixed me right up.

BTW

Just checked my atmospheric overflow, she was empty so put her back up to 2 inches so, as Grant mentioned, she wont be sucking in air on startup.

Thanks for the info dude

p.s I watched the Big Steal again tonight.....I am so that kid lol! And the lead chick is hot!
BUGGA, ya beat me.

Based on what you said, it now has air in it.

PANIC not.

With it COLD, lift the 2 caps, and top off whatever is down, and refit the 2 caps.

Start it up and run until the temp gauge is about 1/2 way to N, and shut it down.

Grab a few of "the hair of the dog", open the bonnet, and ensure it has plenty of coolant in that bottle as it cools, ending up with that 2" when its COLD.

NOW YOU GOT NO AIR IN IT.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
o1xjr (12-05-2014), paulyling (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 05:26 AM

sweet thanks Grant

ill give her a burl tomorrow morning.

in regards to the Aux fan, she's coming on around the N, and working fine, just thought i would explain it to the guys who werent familar with my particular setup.

I also think she runs "cooler" now that i have installed the growler lol!

Grant Francis (12-05-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 05:35 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Yeh but that was at 5am(after 4 hours sleep), well before you stirred. I was all good by the time you surfaced.

paulyling (12-05-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

First of all big thanks to Clarke for his generosity and all the time and effort put in. Thanks mate. Had a ripper time. It was good fun. Even if I was a little hung over this morning lol

Well, I am happy to say I sat on the N all the way home without any dramas. I am still yet to try her out on the original hill climb up near my way but Clarke and I tested her on a very similar course today near his joint and we had good results.

One thing I did notice is that my temp gauge does seem to drop a fraction when I kick in my air conditioner fan. For those that don't know, as mentioned above, I have a twin fan setup that sits on my radiator, as opposed to original singular fan sitting on the pulley side. Anyway, I have a switch inside the "cockpit" that turns on my A/C compressor fan which is on the LH side of the rad, whilst the Aux fan is on the RH side of the rad.

So, when I am driving along, windows down, no A/C, my AUX fan will come once it reaches temp, or I have a bypass switch inside as well if I want it on all the time. Either way, just the one fan to the right (my drivers side) runs.

Now, if I have the air con running the fan on the LH side comes on as well, so then I have two fans running.

Also i have a separate radiator for the transmission which sits at the front, shes not plumbed into the main rad.

So I think all in all we hit the nail on the head and I'm super pleased. I learnt a tonne more about the Blue Goose and also about cooling systems in general. Clarke certainly has alot of experience.

Well, Ill post back next week if I get to do my final test on the hill climb, else I think were good.

Thanks to everybody else for their input also.

Cool banannas
Well done Bro!

Did you have a re-core or a flush out?

Once you've done the hill climb, the next big challenge you must face is getting her up 'Clarkes Driveway!'

paulyling (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 04:27 AM

Ha ha true OB. Reversing up Clarkes driveway is not for the feint hearted.

Mate just got a flush and fepair. 60 percent blocked but the bloke didnt think it needed a recore yet

orangeblossom (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 07:06 AM

Ha ha true OB. Reversing up Clarkes driveway is not for the feint hearted.
You want to try backing a trailer up there with 3 house size(5 hp)aircon units on it!
Flooring it and reversing a V12(only time I got to floor Paul's car) is a breeze, just got to trust your judgement as you can't actually see the hole in the wall(garage door) through the back window of the car(any car) until you are half way up and already committed to full throttle........two options, go for it or back off then spin the wheels when you gather your courage up and put your foot down again.
You only get one shot at that door in reverse, and proudly I have never missed yet! have come very close to pillars and door a few times though.

Radiator swap out and more: A mission to stop my XJS overheating up big hills-dsc_9341.jpgRadiator swap out and more: A mission to stop my XJS overheating up big hills-dsc_9927.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 12-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by o1xjr:
orangeblossom (12-06-2014), paulyling (12-06-2014), ronbros (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 03:31 AM

Well...she seems to of stop sucking or gurgling any air. After topping up my atmospheric overflow a wee bit this morning she is sittin with about 2 inches and ready to tear up the next big hill.

Pure driving pleasure. Very pleased ☺

The following 4 users liked this post by paulyling:
Grant Francis (12-07-2014), Greg in France (12-07-2014), orangeblossom (12-07-2014), ronbros (12-07-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 06:21 AM

How did your run up the "big hill" to Maleny go today?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:08 PM

Damn. Today was the day but now postponed. Crappy rainy weather. Been a rainy week
Was gonna make a day of it and have lunch up there but running to and from the car plus the risk of driving on slippery roads has kept me home.

As i side note I went down to Brisbane and back yesterday. She comfortably sat on the middle to low of the N all the way

Before I left she had two inches in the Atmospheric overflow from cold, when i checked this morning she down about an inch plus the usual dribble on the blanking cap. Not too bad really since I probably clocked up about 200kms.

She leaks a little coolant or maybe just vapor from somewhere but it aint in any large quantity. She always has.

Clarke I know you mention you have to top up your XJ6 every once in a while. Anybody else have similar issues on their XJS?

Old 12-14-2014, 02:12 AM

Clarke I know you mention you have to top up your XJ6 every once in a while. Anybody else have similar issues on their XJS?
I have to throw about 200 mls at it every couple of weeks, but it doesn't get hot or leak it anywhere so I assume it is a very small internal leak that is evaporating or something I don't want to think too much about.
Better than oil in the rad or coolant in the engine so I can live with that.

I drove it 1200km over 3 days and it only took about 250 mls of coolant after that.

Don't worry about the small things, if it is not overheating or spewing coolant a little top up now and then isn't too much to deal with. It is an old car,fluids should be checked every week.

From the work we did last week you know it isn't leaking,and nothing is blocked.

Drive and enjoy, but do watch that temp gauge,at all times.

As I tell my kids when they are driving, the most important gauge in the dash is the temp. High temp usually ends up costing big $$$$ if not monitored and sorted accordingly.(lesson from my Dad & Grandfather)

paulyling (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 04:45 AM

Cheers Clarke. Wise words indeed.

Well, as it turned out, regardless of the crappy weather today I bit the bullet and decided to do my hill test anyway.

So I had my self back up the hill that started my issues, and with no surprise, she worked like a dream. The temp gauge crept up a few mm right near the top of the hill, just sitting above the N, but as soon as she started to straighten out the temp gauge dropped back those few mm's. A far cry from last time when I had to pull over, my temp gauge just under the H and my atmospheric overflow acting like a geyser!

Big thanks to Clarke for doing a great job.

Looks like this issue is sorted!

o1xjr (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 05:10 AM

Looks like this issue is sorted!
Drive and enjoy it like it should be. But as I have said before,always keep one eye on the temp gauge in any car.
When I was a kid my Dad drove 40 tonne Leyland Scammells and they were the same, always one eye on the gauge and a hand on the water bottle.
Until he got the Isuzu,no more cooling trouble after that day.

That would be a 14 y/o me lying on the grass. That is the truck yard I learned to drive in when I was 12 or so. The pic of the Isuzu was the day it was delivered from GMH, no time for paint. Straight to work with 44km on the clock!

Radiator swap out and more: A mission to stop my XJS overheating up big hills-scammell-1.jpgRadiator swap out and more: A mission to stop my XJS overheating up big hills-scammell-3.jpgRadiator swap out and more: A mission to stop my XJS overheating up big hills-untitled-scanned-17.jpg

Last edited by o1xjr; 12-14-2014 at 05:13 AM.
paulyling (12-14-2014)