XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Removal of rear passenger speaker.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Removal of rear passenger speaker.

I have a 1993 XJS six cylinder convertible.
The speakers are rotted out, so I am replacing them all. The problem is that the rear passenger speaker is pinned in by the roof pneumatic cylinder. To make matters worse the speaker is in a plastic housing. My service manual does not cover removal, so I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with this issue? Thanks!

Old 11-18-2014, 03:29 PM
Default Stereo is installed.

I noticed that I had 115 viewers with not a single reply. Sometimes engineers only have so much room to work with. Leaving the mechanics new ways to be creative in work and foul language. I ended up having to go through the front grill. Jaguar had put two clips on each pin, so prying off the poor grill was pretty much lethal. I had already planned on using the new grills that came with the speakers anyway. I also happen to put the roof up for more room to work and I noticed that the switch on my roof cylinder was leaking. I'm glad I caught that. OH! I almost forgot, the speakers look and sound great! Off to my next project...

Old 11-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,904 Likes on 1,660 Posts

There you go, job done! Sometimes you just have to talk yourself through it.
I've never even sat in a convertible so couldn't offer any help.
What's the next project?

Old 11-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Default Next in line...

Steve M., Mufflers. I may have to take one off to make sure it is a 2" inlet. The pipe looks like it is about 1 3/4". I just bought this car about 2 weeks ago. So far I have changed the oil and filter, plugs, plug wires, taken out and cleaned the fuel injectors, put in a new distributor cap and rotor. I'm waiting for my Bilstein shocks to arrive and I think I will buy a new ignition coil. I have some bushings for the chassis and steering coming as well. That should do me for now. I really need to check out the brakes. I was given a receipt for brake pads, but it does not look like they turned the rotors. The rear rotors are old and scared, calipers are rusted up. The car stops fine, but from what I have seen I need to totally rebuild all four and my parking brake.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 93xjs6cyl
I have a 1993 XJS six cylinder convertible.
The speakers are rotted out, so I am replacing them all. The problem is that the rear passenger speaker is pinned in by the roof pneumatic cylinder. To make matters worse the speaker is in a plastic housing. My service manual does not cover removal, so I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with this issue? Thanks!
I had to remove the rear cubby to get that rear speaker out. I think the manual covers removal of the cubby. It's more work than it should be to remove a speaker but it wasn't difficult. I thought about trying to go through the front but figured I would need a replacement grille and housing then, and I wasn't sure if I could secure the new speaker and the housing back in place from the front.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

on my 92 convertible I took the drivers rear out and then started to try to get the passengers out...still driving with no speakers, thanks for the info..gotta love the thinking behind some of Jaguars way to make a car.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Default Where there's a will there's a way.

I'm not sure what a "cubby" is, but taking out the roof cylinder to get to the speaker was much more than I wanted to do. I do not like destroying vintage parts knowing that they are no longer available, but I still have three grills in good shape. To me it was worth the sacrifice. I left the two front grills in place and just screwed the new grills over the old ones. They fit like a glove and all I had to do was screw them into the side panel. So, if I ever take them out you will never be able to tell they were ever there because of the carpet.