XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

There was so much blood around it was like a scene from 24!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
I have no doubt it's all true, the very best stories always are! The art is in the telling.

I think it's a very good idea to program your 'body shop' into your sat-nav AND speed dial. If you have a speed dial on your sat-nav that would be even better. LOL

*I* actually didn't choose my car, it was done for me. Our toaster vehicle is a 2001 Ford Windstar (Wart) with about a million miles on. One day after a Looong overdue service on the transmission my husband asserted he was "not going to sink any more money into that bottomless pit."

When he gets like that there's no talking to him so I dutifully said, "yes dear," and went about my business.

He started haunting the local Craig's List for a suitable replacement; pre 1975 (pre SMOG) rear wheel drive, good fuel economy, and most of all, CHEAP. Over the course of a week he found numerous examples of disgusting vehicles, mostly ancient, jacked up Mustangs with 17 colors of primer (but the body is straight!) or equally ancient El Caminos with similar lack of appeal. Each of these I said I wouldn't even be seen in let alone drive to visit polite company.

One day he called me in to look at yet another find on CL and said, "This is my all time favorite car! If I had my way, THIS is what I would buy!"

In truth, all I saw was a Black car with 4 doors and Just the right amount of chrome. I said off hand, "I'd drive that," and went back to what I was doing. I think he was surprised, but he called for an appointment, we saw it, we drove it, I fell in love with it, he bought if for me, and as I promised, I'm DRIVING IT!! I named her Nix.

I drove her for 2 solid months, 3 days a week until the weather got cold and I found several things that needed attention. (79 items to be exact but at least I get to drive her in between!) and over the succeeding 4 months I've mostly got everything sorted out.

I absolutely Love driving this car! Not only is it like the proverbial magic carpet but it corners like it's on rails and I'm glued into the seat while it's doing it!

I love the looks of this car, I find myself looking back after I park it. I love how I look in this car! I don't at all mind working on her, because she reciprocates with dependability, reliability and comfort. After I drive her for a while, and I have to go back to the Wart because Nix is undergoing repairs (brakes for example), I am SO spoiled. The Wart (we still have it and he's still sinking money into it) handles like a pig wallowing in the muck!

As for the bank balance, that's not my department, that's HIS department. I'm doing the Vast majority of the work on the car and as I promised, I'M DRIVING IT!!
(';')
Hi Elinor

The thing that I would love to do is write about my Travels in my XJS, rather than all the problems I seem to be having!

So you can put the blame for that on my Aunty, (now deceased) as ever since I was a Child I used to send her letters that according to her made her laugh!

Every time that She replied, She always included a couple of pounds or sometimes even Five pounds! and since this was a great way to enhance my pocket money, I must have sent her hundreds over the years!

I never got over losing her, as She was like a second mother to me and came straight out of 'Aunty Central Casting' everyone should have an Aunt like her!

And while everyone perceived her as being a bit 'blue rinse' She was absolutely outrageous and as mad as a box of frogs but in a good way and wasn't ever intending to grow old gracefully.

She went to Las Vegas and sat next to 'Liberace' on the plane, where he then invited her to his Concert and serenaded her upon the stage.

So as you can imagine, always ever afterwards referred to him as being her mate Lee! and would name check him at every opportunity, where She used to work part time in a Betting Shop!

Which was out of character and only did that for the hell of it, as all our relatives jaws would hit the floor when they found out what She got up to!

So me and my wonderful Aunty used to kill ourselves with laughter all the time and since back in the day there was no email, the letters that we wrote each other just flew thick and fast.

So I guess it was a habit I got into.

P.S. There was no need to edit your post as I guess you were right! and my reason for taking time to respond, is you are more than worthy of a 'one liner reply' but why did you mention the 'M' word!

The Classic 64 Mustang is my all time favorite car, which are as rare as rocking horse teeth over here but not ideal in the UK as I think that they were only produced in Left Hand Drive.

Where the hell is Steve Mc Queen when we need him and saw him in 'Bullet' my all time favorite film.