XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Things You Would Love To Change About Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,598 Posts
Default Things You Would Love To Change About Your Car

If you could Change one thing about your Car what would it be?

Well apart from attracting Rust like a Magnet, if I had 'Three Wishes!' every single one of them would be used to ditch the ABS!

While I can't speak for Modern Jags or even different Models, the ABS on an XJS can reduce an Owner to Tears! as it has done to myself on more than one occasion.

Bleeding the Brakes, is a nightmare! and one of my XJS's had a violent and unexpected pull to the right, which may have been caused by degraded wiring controlling a valve.

On the XJS I am currently driving, I replaced nearly everything that was to do with the brakes, including Brake Pipes, Brake Pads and New Calipers.

After which I thought my troubles were over but only a couple of days ago when I hit the brakes a little bit harder than I normally do, first the Car pulled to the left and then to the right!

Admittedly not by that much but enough to give me a scare!

I much prefer and feel Safer with the Old Fashioned Brake Booster System, that was fitted to earlier Cars and I have one of these older Cars covered up in my garden, that I do not use anymore.

So if those Brakes give me anymore problems, I will be very tempted to Swap it all over. At the end of the day, its only Pipes, the Cars are the same, so how hard can it be.

Does anyone know if the Brake Booster System fitted to earlier XJS's was ever fitted to other models of Jags, as if so I can go and have a look around the breakers, rather than pull this other car apart.

That's the One thing I'd love to Change What's Yours?

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,947 Likes on 5,294 Posts

I would change the build date by a mere 4 months to make it a late 1975 model year instead of early 1976, and thus exempt from all the emissions testing that California requires.
(';')

orangeblossom (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

better reliability

Old 09-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine would be to have a factory engine temp gauge even if I had to scroll through the menu to find it. Ever since my overheated escapade their is always a voice in the back of my head asking"how hot is the engine now" as I'm sitting at a light waiting!!

Randy

Old 09-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

Wiring and electronics

Old 09-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Change 3 Speed late 60's auto trans to a decent 5 speed Manual. (I don't have ABS and I don't have emissions in NE Fl)

The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
DrScientist (10-10-2014), orangeblossom (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
That's the One thing I'd love to Change What's Yours?

Limiting us to just *one* thing is a bit cruel.

Thinking back on my XJS days I think I would've most appreciated a more effective and easier-to-repair climate control system.

I'll go a bit further and say I'd prefer an ordinary manual control system rather than 'automatic climate control'. I've never felt that manually controlling the system would be such a horrible step down (What? Have we become SO feeble and spoiled we can't ...oh my god....turn a knob using our own fingers?)

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
1100me (09-12-2014), orangeblossom (09-12-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

I find the air conditioner underwhelming.

I got a parallel flow condenser, new compressor(x2), new drier(x3), expansion valve(x3), evaporator and blower motors (here is the pic to prove it)::
Name:  4C8ACAD2-73F7-449C-B2B1-FF6C78A2C747-928-00000100760FA51B.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  307.1 KB

Oh and I also used the auxiliary fan wiring to install small high powered pusher fans in front of the condenser to make sure there is always air flow.

The A/C is "nice" . I still don't have icicles to start forming in the hot Texas summer while at idle as I have longed for. :-(

Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Only 1 thing? I could probably live with a modern transmission. 2 things? MORE POWER.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

So if those Brakes give me anymore problems, I will be very tempted to Swap it all over. At the end of the day, its only Pipes, the Cars are the same, so how hard can it be.

Does anyone know if the Brake Booster System fitted to earlier XJS's was ever fitted to other models of Jags, as if so I can go and have a look around the breakers, rather than pull this other car apart.
Louvres in the bonnet for me!

OB
The easiest way to change the brakes to non-ABS is to unbolt the entire pedal box and booster and master cylinder as one unit and pull it out. Then just bolt it back into the other car and connect the pipes up. new MC though, is a MUST. Plus you will need to fit the brake servo vacuum feed and the servo second reservoir. All straightforward plumbing. I 100% agree with you about ABS. You would need to talk to the insurers though, a tricky conversation I think...
Greg

Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
1100me (09-12-2014), orangeblossom (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by v8deuce
Mine would be to have a factory engine temp gauge even if I had to scroll through the menu to find it. Ever since my overheated escapade their is always a voice in the back of my head asking"how hot is the engine now" as I'm sitting at a light waiting!!

Randy
Now that's what I call a really Great Idea!

I wonder how hard it would be to make one up?

Pretty much essential on an XJS I would have thought.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
Wiring and electronics
I haven't had too much trouble in that direction Yet!

Old 09-12-2014, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Change 3 Speed late 60's auto trans to a decent 5 speed Manual. (I don't have ABS and I don't have emissions in NE Fl)
I hate Cars with Manual Transmissions, so we will never agree on that but I envy the fact you don't have ABS which as far as I am concerned has been a real PIA!

Old 09-12-2014, 03:21 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I hate Cars with Manual Transmissions,

My air con and heater don't work ATM, but the window winders do so I can live with that.
My one thing would be fit a 4 speed manual box when one eventually pops up, so I can teach my son to drive a manual.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
orangeblossom (09-12-2014), paulyling (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Limiting us to just *one* thing is a bit cruel.

Thinking back on my XJS days I think I would've most appreciated a more effective and easier-to-repair climate control system.

I'll go a bit further and say I'd prefer an ordinary manual control system rather than 'automatic climate control'. I've never felt that manually controlling the system would be such a horrible step down (What? Have we become SO feeble and spoiled we can't ...oh my god....turn a knob using our own fingers?)

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug

List as many things as you like!

I just wanted to get to the 'nitty gritty' of the one thing drivers dislike the most.

If you list all the faults with an XJS then we could be here for a Week but once they're sorted out then 'What a Car!'

Old 09-12-2014, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
My air con and heater don't work ATM, but the window winders do so I can live with that.
My one thing would be fit a 4 speed manual box when one eventually pops up, so I can teach my son to drive a manual.
Hi Clarke

You've really touched a nerve there!

I hate manual cars, with maybe the exception of a Ferrari but each to their own is what I say.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
I find the air conditioner underwhelming.

I got a parallel flow condenser, new compressor(x2), new drier(x3), expansion valve(x3), evaporator and blower motors (here is the pic to prove it)::

Oh and I also used the auxiliary fan wiring to install small high powered pusher fans in front of the condenser to make sure there is always air flow.

The A/C is "nice" . I still don't have icicles to start forming in the hot Texas summer while at idle as I have longed for. :-(
Hi Mark

OMG! I wouldn't even know where to start with that lot! but I'm sort of getting the feeling that the Air Con is a Hot Topic (pun intended) in some peoples Cars.

Not so much in the UK where that Wonderful XJS Heater really keeps you nice and warm!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Only 1 thing? I could probably live with a modern transmission. 2 things? MORE POWER.
Agreed!

More Power and Insane acceleration! but my Auto Box is good enough for me, especially since I have managed to get the 'Kickdown' working!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Louvres in the bonnet for me!

OB
The easiest way to change the brakes to non-ABS is to unbolt the entire pedal box and booster and master cylinder as one unit and pull it out. Then just bolt it back into the other car and connect the pipes up. new MC though, is a MUST. Plus you will need to fit the brake servo vacuum feed and the servo second reservoir. All straightforward plumbing. I 100% agree with you about ABS. You would need to talk to the insurers though, a tricky conversation I think...
Greg

Greg
Hi Greg

I feel ever so slightly honored! that you agree with me on that!

The ABS is a total PIA, with cries for help from Forum Members ringing in my ears.

Even now my Car is sorted, apart from the Shock! of the Shocking state of the Shock Absorbers.

I've always got my heart in my mouth, when ever I use the Brakes, to such an extent that I gently start to apply them, in certain situations to make sure that something is there.

The ABS is all the fault of The PC Brigade (Political Correctness)

Which seems to be aimed at a generation who do not know what 'Cadence Braking' is.

Something that Certainly wouldn't apply to most Forum Members on here, who love their Cars as much as we all do.

At least with the 'Brake Booster System' I know the Cars going to STOP which has to be the most important thing!

When I lost my Brakes on a Carriageway, is was the kind of experience that I never want to repeat!

And as for bleeding the ABS! please don't get me Started!

Its like something from a Science Fiction Movie!

If you fail to open the Bleed Screws on the Calipers and in doing so send Brake Fluid back up to the ABS, it can wreck the System in a heartbeat and leave you with a £1,000 repair bill!

'ask me how I know!'

As for fitting Louvres that sounds interesting!

Have you done that yet Greg?

Has anyone fitted Louvres?

I think that would really up the Anti in the Looks department, which doesn't need too much help from what I can see.

As the XJS is one of those Cars, that to put it mildly, is already very easy on the Eye!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
I would change the build date by a mere 4 months to make it a late 1975 model year instead of early 1976, and thus exempt from all the emissions testing that California requires.
(';')
Elinor I can almost sense your frustration, a real PIA for you if ever there was one.

LnrB (09-12-2014)

Quick Reply: Things You Would Love To Change About Your Car