XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

xjs convertible top rear window relays

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts
Default xjs convertible top rear window relays

i figured id try to document what i did today as it may help someone diagnosing a problem with the convertible top motor or rear windows on a xjs convertible.

my project today was to basically wire a rear window switch to be able to roll up and down the rear windows. with some fluid leak problems and electrical issues in the convertible top controller. I just manually lift and lower my top witch is fairly easy when there is no fluid in the system. but still needed a way to raise and lower the rear windows. so this a temporary solution that will be just fine on a long term until the time i decide i want everything to function as intended.

now to understand a little about how this works basicly you have two relays per function

first two relays towards the front of the car power the drivers side rear window

middle two relays power the motor for the lift pump

last two relays control the passenger side rear window

they are wired as a pretty common reversible polarity circuit using relays. one motor wire off each relay of the pair both rest at - when one relay is triggered it puts + to that motor wire so the other relay in the pair does not need to be activated to energize the circuit

there are two wires you need to pay attention to on the relay

when the relays are clipped in place like the above picture closest to the pump motor and is the one that the lead runs a different direction than all the others, these are the motor leads. all the relays are orientated the same

the other post that you need to pay attention too is the post on the right hand side of the relays, this is your trigger lead, it triggers on ground so you ground that lead it energizes the relay.

if you take the relays and sockets loose so you can access the bottom turn them over so you can access the bottom with the relays plugged in you can take a grounded lead to the switch lead on the relay and if all your fuses are good you should be able to trigger the windows to go up and down, triggering one relay will make it go one way triggering the other relay of the pair will make it go the other way.

both windows will go up and down at the same time as these leads are interconnected in the harness

(the pump works exactly the same witch are the center two relays by the way)

the red lead is grounded in this photo btw not hot. these relays trigger on ground.

now because i was wiring in a window switch i un pinned the the switch wire from the connector and re pinned my own wires into the connector and they are basically daisy chained together so that i only have 2 wires coming out to control both windows (they will no longer interconnected after un pinning the harness until you connect the two single wires together.

next i just tidyed things up put a little peice of head shrink over the un-pinned leads, although they will only ever be ground its just a good precaution. zip ties and tied up

put the relays back in place (i accidentally saved over my original of this photo

i found a removable plug under the center console lid so i placed it there so i wouldn't have to drill any holes. basically ground the center lead of the 3 position switch then one way will be up the other way will be down, obviously you can wire your pump the same way if you so choose.

i also could have pinned the switch into the convertible top switch on the ski slope but chose not to at this time, i may do that later on have not decided yet. i left the wires long enough to easily reach if i decide to do that.

i also did everything so it is easly reverable back to exactly how it was, no cut wire no holes drilled ect.

Last edited by Ezrider; 03-03-2015 at 06:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ezrider:
RickE (10-23-2023), Sarc (03-04-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

Awesome writeup, and great information.. Thanks!

David

Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

Good write-up, Ezrider. I did the same with my 1/4 windows except I installed the toggle switch just forward of the left window switch.
Cheers,
RagJag

Old 05-03-2020, 12:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither of my quarter windows will go down (both worked fine in the fall, now neither one works in the spring. I swapped the switch with a front window switch and no change. I checked for 12V at 86 and 87 and I have 12V at both. I tried to lower window by grounding out 85. I heard a click, but windows didn't go down. What's up? I did order a pair of new thermal breakers as I recently changed the battery - which is one things that I thought might have blown them. If the thermal switches are no good will the grounding method not work?

Old 05-04-2020, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

You may need to gently tap the motor with a hammer. That's what l have to do on mine every now and then...

Old 10-23-2023, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help

Originally Posted by Ezrider
i figured id try to document what i did today as it may help someone diagnosing a problem with the convertible top motor or rear windows on a xjs convertible.

my project today was to basically wire a rear window switch to be able to roll up and down the rear windows. with some fluid leak problems and electrical issues in the convertible top controller. I just manually lift and lower my top witch is fairly easy when there is no fluid in the system. but still needed a way to raise and lower the rear windows. so this a temporary solution that will be just fine on a long term until the time i decide i want everything to function as intended.

now to understand a little about how this works basicly you have two relays per function

first two relays towards the front of the car power the drivers side rear window

middle two relays power the motor for the lift pump

last two relays control the passenger side rear window

they are wired as a pretty common reversible polarity circuit using relays. one motor wire off each relay of the pair both rest at - when one relay is triggered it puts + to that motor wire so the other relay in the pair does not need to be activated to energize the circuit

there are two wires you need to pay attention to on the relay

when the relays are clipped in place like the above picture closest to the pump motor and is the one that the lead runs a different direction than all the others, these are the motor leads. all the relays are orientated the same

the other post that you need to pay attention too is the post on the right hand side of the relays, this is your trigger lead, it triggers on ground so you ground that lead it energizes the relay.

if you take the relays and sockets loose so you can access the bottom turn them over so you can access the bottom with the relays plugged in you can take a grounded lead to the switch lead on the relay and if all your fuses are good you should be able to trigger the windows to go up and down, triggering one relay will make it go one way triggering the other relay of the pair will make it go the other way.

both windows will go up and down at the same time as these leads are interconnected in the harness

(the pump works exactly the same witch are the center two relays by the way)

the red lead is grounded in this photo btw not hot. these relays trigger on ground.

now because i was wiring in a window switch i un pinned the the switch wire from the connector and re pinned my own wires into the connector and they are basically daisy chained together so that i only have 2 wires coming out to control both windows (they will no longer interconnected after un pinning the harness until you connect the two single wires together.

next i just tidyed things up put a little peice of head shrink over the un-pinned leads, although they will only ever be ground its just a good precaution. zip ties and tied up

put the relays back in place (i accidentally saved over my original of this photo

i found a removable plug under the center console lid so i placed it there so i wouldn't have to drill any holes. basically ground the center lead of the 3 position switch then one way will be up the other way will be down, obviously you can wire your pump the same way if you so choose.

Where is this relay box located exactly? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

i also could have pinned the switch into the convertible top switch on the ski slope but chose not to at this time, i may do that later on have not decided yet. i left the wires long enough to easily reach if i decide to do that.

i also did everything so it is easly reverable back to exactly how it was, no cut wire no holes drilled ect.
Where can I find this particular relay? How do I access it? How do I know it’s bad or needs to be replaced?

Old 10-23-2023, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Which relay are you looking for?

Also, your signature doesn't indicate which year and model you've got? The hood relays are in different positions depending on the year.

Paul