XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

xjs rear wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts
Default xjs rear wheel bearings

so today i was putting some new tires on my xjs and noticed a big problem.

tons of play in the rear wheel bearings. so i tore apart the worst one first the left rear. what i found is not pretty.

boy do i wish i had a lathe right now. only new hubs i have found so far are about $260 each and i am guessing im going to find the same thing when i open up the other side.

any one here parting out a inboard rear break xjs with good rear hubs?

The following users liked this post:
Jimbeaux (03-05-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 06:51 PM

well i stopped by a couple mechine shop said they could repair it for about half the cost of what iv found for new ones. but need to get the new bearings in so they can measure them and make sure they make it the right size.

went back to the shop and ripped apart the other side to see how bad it was the play wasn't half of what the play was on the other side. i think i can accually get away with just new bearings on the passenger side rear. took a couple pics along the way they didn't come out very good i think i smudged the lens on my phone with greasy hands.

i am guessing that this is not supposed to be separated?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

annnnndddd this is why you should grease all the points on the car every oil change

ronbros (11-22-2018)
Old 03-06-2015, 12:10 AM

well i dont know that wheel bearings are a every oil change grease point as they require disassemble to grease. it was quite the bummer though as there is some nice weather in the forecast for this coming week and i was looking forward to putting a few miles on the jag, figured tires was the last thing to get done on it after being laid up over the winter. now it looks like it will be sitting on jack stands waiting on parts.

so far iv gotten the rubber bushings ordered that i pictured above. im thinking maybe i need to go ahead and bite the bullet and do the lower bushings as well if im going that far and then if im going that far i should almost just go ahead and slap a new pair of break pads in the rear.

this is all wayyyyy more than i intended to do to this car at this current time.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:00 PM

well the car is going to be happy at the end of all this but i wont be...lol ordered all new bushings new bearings the second hub only needs bearings and i found a new hub on e-bay for only a few bucks more than having my old one repaired so i went ahead and ordered it @129.00 but it will save me a few days of waiting as i was going to have to wait till the bearings to come in to have the old hub machined.

there was only 1 of the bushings holding the sub frame in the other 3 had come delaminated.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:06 PM

got a few parts in replaced the break pads, new wheel bearings and races and seals came in. so i replaced the races in both wheel ends put the one that the hub was still usable back together but still need to install it on the rear end a few of the bushings i ordered came in so i put them in.

here was the worst bushing out of the ones that i replaced so far.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 PM

most everything went back together today just have the drivers side wheel bearings to put back together as i was waiting on the new hub witch came this evening.

i broke one of the trailing arm bolts where it goes into the body when taking everything apart. found it to be a 7/16th fine thread sae bolt witch i thought was interesting. i thought it was going to be a metric for sure

Old 03-13-2015, 01:38 PM

car back together and a nice little top down drive as a shake down

Old 03-14-2015, 05:47 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

nice

my kind of thread

top marks for all the effort and work, and now knowing the jag is in fine fettle

its surprising how one job turns into twenty isn't it

BB

btw, beautiful car.............

Ezrider (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 04:24 PM

thanks, i was starting to wonder if anyone here liked these kind of threads. when I'm working on my car i like to share what I'm doing but these kind of threads typically get very little response.

with the lack of repair litature available on these cars i would think these threads would be more popular. i didn't try very hard to document every step on this job as there are some write ups on most of what i did here.

yeah things like to snowball started as new tires, then new bearings then new bushings then by that point the rear sub frame is coming out so you might as well slap some breaks in it ect. but i don't belive in doing half a job its less work in the long run to do everything that needs to be done while your in there than end up doing basically doing the job twice.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

lol

i started by changing out a ski-slope, and eight years later i put her back on the road after a full rebuild,

IMG_1099 by MyPix on Talk Photography

BB

Last edited by Brake buster; 03-15-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:42 PM

beautiful car you have as well.

glad my snowball stopped before it went that far. the car isnt really done, still got more projects and things to do to it, but with nice weather its time to just enjoy the car for a while.

Old 11-22-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rear hub outer bearing removal?

I had a question about the outer bearing removal procedure.
I had to heat the relutctor ring to remove it, left the hub outside at 22 degrees F, then heated it using a propane torch. The tip of the flame is the hottest point.
I used the same gear puller as you, and it came loose easily.
But then, I can't figure out how to get the outer bearing off the hub.
Did you use a sharp chisel and a hammer? Or did you try the bearing press by using the bearing race to separate the bearing?
Do you have to heat the bearing up to remove it?

Old 11-22-2018, 04:47 PM

to be honest i don't remember what i had to do specifically on this one, the bearings should be a tight slip fit you should be able to pry under the bearing and get it to slide off. i know i have done stubborn bearings in the past where the bearing cage had to cut off and the inner race heated or even scored and then cracked with a chisel to get them off when a bearing has completely failed friction welding the inner race on.

if you cant get it off by prying under the bearing using a bearing splitter would probably be the tool for the job. its basically a wedge that you goes in and pushes the bearing out as you tighten it down.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezrider
so today i was putting some new tires on my xjs and noticed a big problem.

tons of play in the rear wheel bearings. so i tore apart the worst one first the left rear. what i found is not pretty.

boy do i wish i had a lathe right now. only new hubs i have found so far are about $260 each and i am guessing im going to find the same thing when i open up the other side.

any one here parting out a inboard rear break xjs with good rear hubs?

EZ has the car EVER been in deep water, set for some time so the water can seep into the grease section?????

i have seen those conditions with FLOOD cars,, did you get a very low price , a late Jag convirtible was sold that way in Houston after the Hurricane flood last year, $ like 800 bucks!!
ron

Old 11-22-2018, 07:43 PM

no my car was not a flood car, this thread is from 2015 my issue was just that the hubs had worn excessively where the inner race rides on the hub possibility had had a previous bearing failure and someone just put new bearing on a bad hub. i think iv owned this car sense around 2013. i did buy my car cheap around $2500 but it had a really bad amateur paint job on it when i bought it. i repainted it myself shortly before i originally made this thread.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:47 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

It's a beautiful car, congratulations on getting it all sorted out, and without breaking the bank! I would like to own an XJS someday, I think I'd prefer an I6 car over a V12 just for the ability to fit my hands in around the engine bay.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:16 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

EZ, just curious what you might have felt while driving the car with three of the four cage mountings/bushings worn or broken. I have heard the car does interesting dance while braking hard. Can those worn cage mounts be felt with normal driving?

Old 11-23-2018, 08:30 PM

i remember it having a bit of a uneasy squirly feeling prior to finding the bad cage mounts and bushings i seem to remember it being the worst when cornering while accelerating. or maybe it was while hitting a bump while cornering, i do remember coming around a corner on a merge ramp under throttle around a corner, and the car becoming very unsettled although i wasn't anywhere near traction limits, i think i may have hit a bump at the same time. my memory is a bit foggy but it was defiantly handling strange prior to finding that issue.