XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1995 Remote Programming - No Valet Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1995 Remote Programming - No Valet Switch

My 1995 6-cylinder XJS coupe came with a remote, which the previous owner had purchased but never programmed. I searched through the forum to find programming instructions. My car does not have a valet switch. I followed these instructions, from dsetter, which worked. Look at post 6:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...994-xjs-89554/

I attached some pictures.
  1. Open the center console
  2. Unscrew the five (5) Phillips-head screws holding the center console in place
  3. (See the first attached picture) This is the remote that came with the car and the paper clips I used to replace the valet switch
  4. Remove the center console
  5. (See the second attached picture) This is the connector you're looking for. It has one yellow and white wire, which you'll need to short (connect) to the black wire (ground)
  6. (See the third attached picture) This is how I did it. I unbent the paperclips and shoved them into the connector, into the two slots corresponding to the yellow and white wire and the black wire. Pressing these clips together shorts them. Separating them unshorts them.
  7. Next, I followed the instructions from the link above. It took some fiddling and a few dozen attempts, but it finally worked.
  8. Ignition off, key in
  9. Yellow/white wire not shorted to black
  10. Do the next steps in a few seconds
  11. Ignition on, key in
  12. Yellow/white wire shorted to black
  13. Ignition off, key in
  14. Yellow/white wire unshorted, then shorted, then unshorted, then shorted, then unshorted, then shorted, then unshorted, then shorted, then unshorted
  15. At this point, the car chirped
  16. Press the button on each remote you want to program, in turn, up to five. If you have fewer than five remotes, press one of the remotes multiple times, until you get to five total remote presses.
  17. Car chirped with every remote press
Done!

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Remote Programming - No Valet Switch-remote-program-step-1-tools-small.jpg   1995 Remote Programming - No Valet Switch-remote-program-step-2-yellow-white-wire-small.jpg   1995 Remote Programming - No Valet Switch-remote-program-step-3-short-yellow-white-black-small.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Easy enough. Here is a video I made of it using a toggle switch :

I like the toggle switch because its cheap to have it there and I can program other remotes, an also turn of all the alarm function of and just have plain keyless entry.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Programming remote. Under my console , 94 xjs , I find 4 wire plug not two , Any ideas ??

Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

If you can take a pic of what's in there, it may help us sort it out for you!

Old 10-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Willis
Programming remote. Under my console , 94 xjs , I find 4 wire plug not two , Any ideas ??
On my car, also a 94, the plug is a 4 wire plug but there are only two wires connected, a black and a yellow. on pins 1 and 3. Those are for the security/valet switch.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Default Xjs programming security

My 4 wire plug. Under cubby has 4 wires blue ,blue w red green green w stripe not exactly sure on colors but no black and no yellow. With ignition does the yellow have voltage? With ignition off does yellow have voltage? I maybe able to source it and can find ground or make one . I have looked in my service manual ...the big green one. But haven't found it on one of the wiring diagrams ....still looking

Old 10-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

My 4 wire plug. Under cubby has 4 wires blue ,blue w red green green w stripe not exactly sure on colors but no black and no yellow. With ignition does the yellow have voltage? With ignition off does yellow have voltage? I maybe able to source it and can find ground or make one . I have looked in my service manual ...the big green one. But haven't found it on one of the wiring diagrams ....still looking
My recall of the voltage is that there is some digital 0-5 v signal with the ignition off.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Default Eureka!!!

Ok guys . I took my camera to take pic of 4 wire plug and while there thot I'd look one more time for yellow and black. Unscrewed wood console that hold window switches etc, lifted it gently and peered in using glasses and shop lite. No luck put it back. Observing carpet or more importantly that the wires came thru the carpet I took a utility knife and cut carpet as far as possible and pulled it apart... Aha a small black taped wire! Gave it a tug and low and behold the elusive yellow and black valet plug. From there it was follow instructions . I used two small wires bent and jammed into plug in lieu of paper clip and or toggle . Gotta say I jumped when the chirp and horn beeped . I programmed a generic module ($25) and it works great !!! Oh yea it worked first try. Thanks for all the help and someone tell me what the 4 blue wire plug is.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Received 212 Likes on 132 Posts

Ok guys . I took my camera to take pic of 4 wire plug and while there thot I'd look one more time for yellow and black. Unscrewed wood console that hold window switches etc, lifted it gently and peered in using glasses and shop lite. No luck put it back. Observing carpet or more importantly that the wires came thru the carpet I took a utility knife and cut carpet as far as possible and pulled it apart... Aha a small black taped wire! Gave it a tug and low and behold the elusive yellow and black valet plug. From there it was follow instructions . I used two small wires bent and jammed into plug in lieu of paper clip and or toggle . Gotta say I jumped when the chirp and horn beeped . I programmed a generic module ($25) and it works great !!! Oh yea it worked first try. Thanks for all the help and someone tell me what the 4 blue wire plug is.
I believe the other plug is for the mobile phone, power and radio mute?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by dsetter
I believe the other plug is for the mobile phone, power and radio mute?
Hmmm, I don't think a factory phone option was available of the MY94 cars? If I remember correctly it was introduced in MY95, but my memory could be foggy

Cheers,

Allan

Old 11-05-2013, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

anti theft circuit

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Remote Programming - No Valet Switch-alarm.jpg