XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Alpine flip screen trial fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Alpine flip screen trial fit

Hi everyone,

With time running out in the countdown to my holiday in France, and the first major run in my xjr-s I thought it about time I fitted the nav\Bluetooth and reverse camera system in readiness for the long drive. Probably worth saying that its subject to the French fuel crisis not getting too much worse!

Anyhow, we fitted all the Alpine gubbins, all nicely hidden away - and as you can see it does fit. Although, to be honest I think long term I'll remove it and try something different. The reverse camera is superb though, and very handy having Bluetooth integration in the car.

Flip screen trial fit..

It was doubly good news, as the prolonged period of warmer weather meant I could look out my summer gear knob - and trial fit the alloy heater knob.

Below you can see how far it sticks out, so if I wanted to keep it i'd need to find a way of mounting properly. Particularly since someone had ruined the captive mounting nuts by using rivets!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Very nice.

Any details on the wiring harness adapter and the faceplate mounting?

Padre

Old 05-30-2016, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Unfortunately, the XJS presents a rather peculiar problem when it comes to flip out radios. You can see on that picture how, in spite of being mounted a good inch pulled away from the panel, the screen is still facing down, instead of up to where the viewer eyes are. This is why in my current shopping I'm not considering a flip screen radio, which is otherwise a great alternative. I'm considering one with a 4.5" adjustable and removable screen that has all of the advnced modern bells and wistles and luckily (for the XJS) is a sinle DIN unit.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-04-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

When I install a new deck I will use the backup camera on front to protect the front spoiler. Nothing pisses me off more than hitting it on a curb

Old 05-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by BC XJS
When I install a new deck I will use the backup camera on front to protect the front spoiler. Nothing pisses me off more than hitting it on a curb
Years back I had a back up sensor hidden in the front spoiler facing forward and with a sonalert alarm in the cockpit. It would tell me exactly when the spoiler was a little too close to one of those hideous parking stall cement stoppers. I could calibrate it almost to the 1/2" distance accuracy. It seems like something happen to it when my front spoiler was removed when the car was painted, so only the wires are hanging there now and I see that those warning sensors don't seem to be available anymore. Man, just the other day I went just a bit over one of those damned things and when I reversed I thought my heart was going to stop with the racket that the poor thing made to become disengaged down there; luckily nothing broke. It's just that the XJS hood is so long that it becomes difficult to accurately estimate where you are in reference to that block that you're trying to avoid, as you don't want to leave the car with its derriere sticking out too far either.

So, maybe you have the answer with that camera, but you may also need some kind of an audible distance warning, or you'll have to approach the target very slowly and with your eyes glued to the display.

I think I really need to do something now, though. I'll keep shopping.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-04-2016)