XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

A challenge for the technicians – Emissions adventure

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts
Default A challenge for the technicians – Emissions adventure

I live in Taiwan, where XJS’s can be counted on less than two hands, and 2nd hands are rare or non-existing.
Imports are legally possible, but any car needs to pass individual testing, and must fulfill the present (2016) emission regulations to get a legal car-license.
That is the equivalent to Euro 4 at the moment.

So here is my problem:
I can buy a 1995 XJS Convertible, 4 liter with AJ16 engine, ~120.000 miles (the only one here).

The car was imported some 3 years ago from the US (probably California, not sure), all duties were paid, but the owner never bothered to get the license.
I presume he tried but failed, and as he has several other Jags, just swapped license plates from his topaz x300 if he wanted to take her for a spin.

The catch is, he is not willing to be bothered with obtaining the license, or make the car-purchase related to it, so if I buy the car, it is my problem.

I know that some older imported cars (non Jaguar) have passed in the recent years, but that was mostly due to relations, which seems to be harder now.
I also know some ‘importers’ made / make modifications to the cars the bring in, I guess in intake and exhaust.

I know some of these guys, but refrained from contacting them until I got a clear picture myself.
It is Chinese New Year here, so I got some time to reflect.

I realize that there are additional costs involved for the emission issue, and willing to cough them up if it will bring success.
Of course, this can also easily be a money pit, where I keep paying ppl. to arrange things, only to fail again ….
That is what I need to prevent.

So, before I go any further, does any of you with experience in emissions have any idea if this is only a wild dream, or if it can be done?
The first thing should be what the emission requirements were in 1995 for a XJS in the USA.

Thanks a lot for any reply, I really appreciate your input.

Eric
PS1.I have more detailed info on the exact emission requirements, but I don’t want to clog this thread in my first post.
PS2. I will post the same in the X300 forum.

Name:  c56c6129-6bfb-4879-9df0-442c5e5e62a6.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  111.4 KB

Old 02-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,049 Likes on 2,028 Posts

1995 was a transition year for USA emission standards. There are 2 standards, Tier 0 and Tier 1, in 1996 full compliance was required with Tier 1, but in 1995 up to 20% of a makers fleet could be Tier 0, and 80% must be Tier 1. I've not seen a lot of difference between the 95 and 96 AJ16 engines, not sure of the VIN breakpoints to see if there is a difference between the ECU between 95 and 96. The latest ECU is still available from Jaguar quite cheaply. I suspect a USA market 95 XJS would comply with Tier 1. Biggest difference between Tier 0 and 1 I can see is particulates ( diesel only) and NOx.

Here is the USA standards: Light-Duty Vehicle and Light-Duty Truck -- Tier 0, Tier 1, National Low Emission Vehicle, and Clean Fuel Vehicle Exhaust Emission Standards | Emission Standards Reference Guide | US EPA

And Euro Tier 4: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.ht...C_1&format=PDF

Looks like hydrocarbons are the same, NOx is slightly tougher in Europe compared to Tier 1 (0.34 g/mi vs 0.4), and I can't comment on CO, since the USA standard is in PPM, and the European one is grams/km. I have no idea how to convert between those units. (EDIT: I'm not sure about the USA units, might be grams/mi. If it is, you're ok, as that's 2.1 g/km and the Euro standard is 5.22 g/km)

If you do buy the car, I would change the O2 sensors for new ones (NTK was the original part maker), and make sure the front and rear sensors don't get mixed up - the rear ( downstream) one is the one that controls the ECU, the front one is a check. Change the oil, make sure it is warmed up before testing. I have heard that adding methanol to the fuel will reduce NOx, but check that before doing it. There should be an air pump, make sure that is working. It's a black plastic thing on the side of the engine, and should run for about 45 seconds after starting. Sort of sounds like a hair dryer. Also make sure the check engine light isn't on.

Can you take it to a garage to have the emissions checked to see if it is in compliance before you buy the car?

Last edited by Jagboi64; 02-05-2016 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ericjansen (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

CA is probably the toughest market in respect SMOG. if, indeed, the car was/is a CA car and passed it's last CA test, the report would be quite informative. Mebbe, it flunked, hence off to Taiwan!!!

Now, if your other car passes, examine it's inspection print out.
with a huge amount of luck, you have two to compare. How does it look.

In CA, most well equipped shops have scanners that are capable
or reading the data flow and comparing to BAR standards. some even have a sniff capability. I'd expect the same where you are.

I have an after market scanner, but, it can only read OBD I. Interesting to see. I prepared a chart of one session. where, I don't know. Too much Jaguar lore.... My SMOG referee was embarrassed as his big time scanner could not connect with my car's PCM. graciously, he agreed to accept my unit's results. Passed, whoopeeee

That car oughta be lot cheaper, emission issue unknown or flunks!!!
Compared to an emission compliant car...

Carl

ericjansen (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
1995 was a transition year for USA emission standards.
That is some very useful information and suggestions, exact what I was looking for.
Will read through it and try to digest it, thank you.

At the end, if I decide to buy the car, I am sure I will need the help of a local to pass all this.
By then I also hope that they can do the checking before the actual check, just to prevent the trial-and -error process I am afraid of.

Originally Posted by JagCad
That car oughta be lot cheaper, emission issue unknown or flunks!!! Compared to an emission compliant car...
Carl, thanks.
One of the things of my list is to check the local checking station.
That is where every car is checked yearly, and I will need to see what they do (just to prevent passing the initial test, only to be kicked out 1/2 year later ....).
They should be able to give some guidelines too.

On your remark of price, this unfortunately does not work here like that.
Cars are very expensive here, including 2nd hand.
As a bonus, most are badly maintained.
As this is a more then decent car, I am very eager to buy it, although not at any price.

I figured a CA car could be an advantage, Can I check in the VIN its original destination?
Or is there anything else which will indicate so?

Eric

Old 02-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,049 Likes on 2,028 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
I figured a CA car could be an advantage, Can I check in the VIN its original destination?
Or is there anything else which will indicate so?

Eric
If you can inspect the car, there should be a sticker under the hood that says what emissions standard it complies with. Typically will have vacuum hose routing diagram. It will either say it complies with Federal standards or California standards.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Default Update

Just a bit of an update:
With the various info from this and the X300 forum, I have been able to contact 3 people working in car emissions, plus an ex-Jaguar engine engineer.

The conclusion is that there are little or none options to improve the emissions, let alone bring them up to Euro 4, pretty clear.
So, that leaves the ''technical'' solution out, whatever some smart-*** here in Taiwan will say.

I will have a meeting with a car import company next week, but I have my doubts they can solve this for me, quanxi (=relations) is wearing thin for these matters here on the island.
But, who knows, I have had stranger projects ...

To be continued ...

Old 02-14-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Just a bit of an update:
With the various info from this and the X300 forum, I have been able to contact 3 people working in car emissions, plus an ex-Jaguar engine engineer.

The conclusion is that there are little or none options to improve the emissions, let alone bring them up to Euro 4, pretty clear.
So, that leaves the ''technical'' solution out, whatever some smart-*** here in Taiwan will say.

I will have a meeting with a car import company next week, but I have my doubts they can solve this for me, quanxi (=relations) is wearing thin for these matters here on the island.
But, who knows, I have had stranger projects ...

To be continued ...
Maybe this might help?

emissions - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Threads Tagged with emissions

You might be able to pick her up cheap, as that is one hell of a Car to throw in the bin.

Can't you take her to a Garage for a quick emissions check before you buy her, you

never know She might pass without any problems.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Maybe this might help?
Wahh, you seem to want to buy this car more eagerly then me .

I will first wait what the import guys say, then probably have a look at the red V12 in person, then make up my mind if it is still useful to drive the 200km down to meet the owner and see the Celebration.

This time I really try to control my emotions, and force myself to make rational decisions, even if it goes slow.

As said, to be continued, one way or an other ....

orangeblossom (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

If only She was right hand drive and in the UK I would certainly put in a bid, as this is the one that is much more likely to go up in Value and will be sought after by Collectors.

But if Petrols cheap where you are, then it would be the 'Red' Car all day long but in the UK it would cost about £100 to fill up the 18 Gallon Tank, where last year it was costing me £40 per day just tripping around.

Just make sure there is no rust underneath those Chrome Wheel Arches.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Default Project dead, at least for now ...

Just to thank you guys for all the positive input in this thread.

Unfortunately, it is not going to work with all the emission issues, so I decided to stop pursuing it.

One never knows how crow fly (just bought my neighbor's apartment after 2 failed attempts over 2 year period), and a XJS remains on my list, but for now I will stay with my XJ8.

Thanks again!

Eric