XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Defective lock and door card removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Defective lock and door card removal

I have an early 1993 coupe that has a passenger door lock problem. The door mechanism makes a slight faint sound when I actuate the door with the fob. The driver's door (left) works fine except that it closes and immediately opens.
I removed both lock covers from their jam and was able to spray a lubricant on to the internal actuation mechanisms. on close inspection the interior looked clean. My current diagnosis is that the passenger motor is defective, a bad security switch, a bad ground (re: 1993 Electrical Guide fig 12) or a good cleaning (re: Forum!)
MY PROBLEM: I am not familiar with the attachment of the door card. I know there are clips all around the perimeter. But I am unaware of the number of screws and where they are located. I assume there is one under the metal bezel on the door arm rest. I am not sure about the seat mechanism and how it effects the door card or any other devious method of screw concealment. Would appreciate a kind person to illuminate me with their brilliance on where to find the screw(s)
Afterburner

Old 03-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

On my 93 there were the following:
One screw at the front of door card, going through chrome plate adjacent to door light switch.
Two along base of door card.

I also removed one screw from "grab handle" , although not sure if latter was necessary.

​​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
afterburner1 (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks Paul, That was a big help!