XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Did I just screw myself? Fuel Return Hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:26 AM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Did I just screw myself? Fuel Return Hose

So, I'm leaving on a short road trip tomorrow in my Jag (was?) and I'd decided to replace my car's fuel hoses before I left. I'd planned to do this sooner, but all the necessary parts hadn't arrived yet. Well, anyway I had everything today and Decided to tackle it the day before I left. Managed to cut myself at least 5 times and burn myself with the soldering iron, but I got the Injectors refurbished and the fuel rail hoses replaced. I was putting them back in when I noticed the fuel return hose (EAC9986) was looking very worn and a bit cracked. I figured that while I had the system depressurized I may as well replace that too, so being rather foolhardy (it was 1am) and imagining it was like the injectors I just snipped the rubber hose bit. Little did I know it was not like the others and there's what looks like a long ferrule on it holding it tight. Is there a way I can replace the rubber hose piece myself or do i have to ship it out to get it replaced? Could I just cut the clamp thing off and put a standard, screw-tight EFI clamp on?

Last edited by Dymaxxion; 07-24-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:34 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Dymaxxion
So, I'm leaving on a short road trip tomorrow in my Jag (was?) and I'd decided to replace my car's fuel hoses before I left. I'd planned to do this sooner, but all the necessary parts hadn't arrived yet. Well, anyway I had everything today and Decided to tackle it the day before I left. Managed to cut myself at least 5 times and burn myself with the soldering iron, but I got the Injectors refurbished and the fuel rail hoses replaced. I was putting them back in when I noticed the fuel return hose (EAC9986) was looking very worn and a bit cracked. I figured that while I had the system depressurized I may as well replace that too, so being rather foolhardy (it was 1am) and imagining it was like the injectors I just snipped the rubber hose bit. Little did I know it was not like the others and there's what looks like a long ferrule on it holding it tight. Is there a way I can replace the rubber hose piece myself or do i have to ship it out to get it replaced? Could I just cut the clamp thing off and put a standard, screw-tight EFI clamp on?

short answer yes, although I fitted a gauge take on mine its just a hose on a pipe underneath the ferule
Name:  100_1382.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  161.7 KB

Old 07-24-2015, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

If you saved the ferrule and the hard line fitting without damage just fit suitable efi hose into ferrule and then work that onto the fitting barbs. I renewed all mine recently and while it takes some effort it is quite a straightforward job, some lubricant will be required. I would not use a clamp on the fitting unless you can avoid clamping directly onto the barbs.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by baxtor
If you saved the ferrule and the hard line fitting without damage just fit suitable efi hose into ferrule and then work that onto the fitting barbs. I renewed all mine recently and while it takes some effort it is quite a straightforward job, some lubricant will be required. I would not use a clamp on the fitting unless you can avoid clamping directly onto the barbs.
Thank you, I still have the ferrule and hard line, but I can't seem to get the hose out of the ferrule because it's so deep. Would cutting the ferrule off work? I know the functionality is debated on the fuel rail, but wilt return line function without them? what do they do for the return line? Would it help if I put a clamp over the line lightly?

Old 07-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Thank you, I still have the ferrule and hard line, but I can't seem to get the hose out of the ferrule because it's so deep. Would cutting the ferrule off work? I know the functionality is debated on the fuel rail, but wilt return line function without them? what do they do for the return line? Would it help if I put a clamp over the line lightly?
They take a bit of digging out, but new ones are generally easily obtained from auto or farm supply stores. Clamp might be ok so long as it is EFI type with a closed up size matching the original ferrule, not worm drive.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:17 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

after cutting mine, I held the ferrel in Vise Grips and then used a propane torch to heat it then needle nose to pull out, a xacto knife will scrape out what is left nicely, to polish up, used a dremel with a wire brush

Old 07-25-2015, 03:51 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts
Old 07-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

I treat the supply and return pipe/hose assemblies just as I do the injectors--- cut off the old, install the new. I use the same ferrules on all. Just got done doing a set for my own car, in fact.

Cheers
DD

Attached Thumbnails Did I just screw myself? Fuel Return Hose-return-pipe.jpg