XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Electric fan installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:33 PM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Electric fan installation

After some doubt I went ahead with electric fan mod... for that I got 17" 2-speed fan by Derale and Hayden 3654 Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Controller (There is 2-speed fan by Hayden that looks exactly the same).

First problem was that fan did not fit into shroud... shroud is about 18.5" so I had to cut mounts a little...

Next I played with "premium mounting kit" to secure it, eventually I said "Screw it!" - and that became installation method of choice.

Lastly, connected controller to 'brown wire' from horn, which is behind 25A fuse... surprisingly fan blew the fuse... it supposed to draw 23.5A on "high" though...

Now, can someone suggest where to get power for controller(low amperage) that is only supplied when ignition is on. Currently I wired it to the same brown wire and fan will stay on when ignition is off. What is the common color for such wires? (I have manual for my car, but electric schema is definitely off...)

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Electric fan installation-20161020_171615.jpg   Electric fan installation-20161020_174428.jpg   Electric fan installation-20161021_123322.jpg   Electric fan installation-20161021_210540.jpg   Electric fan installation-20161021_210608.jpg  

Old 10-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ2003XJ8
After some doubt I went ahead with electric fan mod... for that I got 17" 2-speed fan by Derale and Hayden 3654 Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Controller (There is 2-speed fan by Hayden that looks exactly the same).

First problem was that fan did not fit into shroud... shroud is about 18.5" so I had to cut mounts a little...

Next I played with "premium mounting kit" to secure it, eventually I said "Screw it!" - and that became installation method of choice.

Lastly, connected controller to 'brown wire' from horn, which is behind 25A fuse... surprisingly fan blew the fuse... it supposed to draw 23.5A on "high" though...

Now, can someone suggest where to get power for controller(low amperage) that is only supplied when ignition is on. Currently I wired it to the same brown wire and fan will stay on when ignition is off. What is the common color for such wires? (I have manual for my car, but electric schema is definitely off...)

Thanks!
I ran a power feed from firewall bus to my relays. The brown feed to horn relay also feeds from firewall terminal and is constant live, horn button switches the relay to ground to operate. Safer to run a single higher spec. power wire.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Running a wire from the coil positive feed will give you an ignition-activated low current side of the relay. As long as it is only an amp or so, or less, no problems. That is how mine has been working for the last 14 years.
Greg

Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Thank you. Firewall bus sounds like a good source of power for the fan, I will look where it is on my car.
And for controller I am sure coil feed will be ok, thank you for the idea. I want to explore the bunch in last pic first though, hope to get all wiring in one place.

I learned today that UK fuse rating is not the same as US, UK 25A is like US 13A... no wonder my fan blew the fuse :-)

Overall so far I like the way it works. Not sure how good it will work in hot summer, but during my test runs yesterday fan never turned on when car was in motion.

My only complaint is how fragile temperature adjustment potentiometer is on the controller. I turned it few times and it looks all beaten-up, very soft plastic.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ2003XJ8
My only complaint is how fragile temperature adjustment potentiometer is on the controller. I turned it few times and it looks all beaten-up, very soft plastic.
The only bits that have failed early on my car are ALL the aftermarket electronics that I have ever tried to control the electric fans. I am NOT saying yours will, but I would strongly suggest you rig up a manual override switch somewhere, even under the hood, so you can make the fan come on full blast if the controller ever fails. Also, mounting the controller somewhere as cool as possible, is a good idea.
Greg