XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

EM brake pad replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default EM brake pad replace

SNJ Barratt offers Kevlar emergency brake pads. Do these have a better bond with the backing plate? The ones I'm replacing had one where the bond gave up. I read that this is a common problem.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Originally Posted by catterwaller
SNJ Barratt offers Kevlar emergency brake pads. Do these have a better bond with the backing plate? The ones I'm replacing had one where the bond gave up. I read that this is a common problem.
Excellent point, ask them. Having had real problems with mine at the car road test, I redid my (in UK speak) handbrake to make it far, far better, and I used footbrake pads with a modern system of backing, cut down to size, plus various other mods. In case you are interested, I attach the paper I wrote explaining it all.
Greg

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-23-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I contacted SNG Barratt. They couldn't tell me anything definite about the Kevlar pads having better bonding. There answer was just that they were excellent pads made by reputable manufacturer and carried (I believe they said) a 1 year warranty. It's a bit disappointing since about the only thing preventing lifetime service is the bonding.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:20 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Excellent point, ask them. Having had real problems with mine at the car road test, I redid my (in UK speak) handbrake to make it far, far better, and I used footbrake pads with a modern system of backing, cut down to size, plus various other mods. In case you are interested, I attach the paper I wrote explaining it all.
Greg
Greg, not to "hijack" another members post, but I want to thank you for sharing your paper on hand brake improvement. I just bought a 96 XJS-C and thought the hand brake was inoperable - I could pull it and it felt like the cable was disconnected, since the lever moved freely up and down. Another member said he had the same issue, but realized a transport driver had really yanked the lever up to engage the brake. That gent tapped his "ratchet bolt?" and the brake released. I went to my car, gave a good pull on the lever while pressing in the release button and sure enough, the lever released.

Of course, the brake is still inop, but that is probably because the car has been driven with the brake engaged. I now have something to inspect - whether the pad has come free from it's backing. If all I need to do is replace the pads, I'm a happy man.

Thanks again for a useful post!

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by davemack
Greg, not to "hijack" another members post, but I want to thank you for sharing your paper on hand brake improvement. I just bought a 96 XJS-C and thought the hand brake was inoperable - I could pull it and it felt like the cable was disconnected, since the lever moved freely up and down. Another member said he had the same issue, but realized a transport driver had really yanked the lever up to engage the brake. That gent tapped his "ratchet bolt?" and the brake released. I went to my car, gave a good pull on the lever while pressing in the release button and sure enough, the lever released.

Of course, the brake is still inop, but that is probably because the car has been driven with the brake engaged. I now have something to inspect - whether the pad has come free from it's backing. If all I need to do is replace the pads, I'm a happy man.

Thanks again for a useful post!

It IS very useful advice from Greg.

However, you have a 1996 XJS, correct?

If so, you have a different parking brake system entirely. You have outboard calipers and parking brakes. Greg's article refers to 'inboard brake' cars.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,087 Likes on 5,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

If so, you have a different parking brake system entirely. You have outboard calipers and parking brakes. Greg's article refers to 'inboard brake' cars.

Quite true Doug, but I GREATLY appreciate the thoughtful "thank you" from both you and Davemack. Thanks to you both
Greg

Old 05-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

Cheers
DD
Ahh yes, I do have the 1996. I thought the park brake system would be the same. Well, I need to focus on the front end first, and can look at the park brake checked when I have the car in the shop. There is an issue - wheel bearing, hub assembly, axel, ?? on driver side rear anyway, so once it's apart they should be able to tell me what the issue is.

Regardless, it was nice of Greg to put that tutorial out there. I'm sure others will find it both useful AND applicable.