XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Emergency brake not working at all

Old 08-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency brake not working at all

Hi.
My new 1988 XJS has a non-functioning parking brake (if I am on a slight decline and put the car in N, it rolls forward, and pulling up on the parking brake lever has no effect. The brake warning light stays lit on the dash all the time. There is no ratcheting effect when pulling up on the lever and the button never gets "activated"). The car has very low miles and has always been garaged so I'll bet the emergency brake as almost never been used....and, from what I can see, so far, there should be little or no rust nor corrosion. My question is....where do I start looking? Thanks!

Last edited by GGG; 08-15-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: emphasise Model & Year
Old 08-15-2015, 02:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

John,

I've moved your question from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to XJS forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 08-15-2015, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by John xjs88
Hi.
My new 1988 XJS has a non-functioning parking brake (if I am on a slight decline and put the car in N, it rolls forward, and pulling up on the parking brake lever has no effect. The brake warning light stays lit on the dash all the time. There is no ratcheting effect when pulling up on the lever and the button never gets "activated"). The car has very low miles and has always been garaged so I'll bet the emergency brake as almost never been used....and, from what I can see, so far, there should be little or no rust nor corrosion. My question is....where do I start looking? Thanks!

In virtually every instance the reason the parking brake is non-functional on the inboard brake cars is due to lack of use. The mechanisms seize up in a fixed position.

The usual fix is to remove the parking brake calipers (a bit of a pain) for disassembly-cleaning-lubricating-adjusting. And, possibly, new pads.

Once the parking brake is working it'll be easy to keep 'em working: make sure to use the parking brake whenever you use the car!

You can check to see if the cable is broken or disengaged....but that's would fall outside of the typical scenario

Cheers
DD

Old 08-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,904 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Before you start pulling the back end apart (although it sounds like you may have to anyway) sort out the lever; the light is activated by the lever, not the brakes.
The easiest way is to take out the seat because the you can attack it with space to spare.
You have to bear in mind why the XJS has such an odd system anyway; a lot of people confuse it with a 'fly off' handbrake (for traffic light Grand Prix).
It is isn't; when these cars came out many gentlemen had cuffs on their trousers and with the low stance, wide sills of the XJS it was sometimes possible for the hand/emergency/parking brake lever to get caught in your cuffs when you were getting out: thus negating your special feeling when you are sprawled in an ungainly heap on the road, looking up at the piddle light. (Yes, piddle light, it's not there for puddles it's to make sure that you don't piddle on your shoes when you just have to go).
It works thus; pull up to engage, let it drop. Pull up, press the button to disengage, let it drop.
It sounds to me that you have a combination of dodgy switch on the lever and the common fault of driving with the brake on.
Which (just to cheer you up) can also help to cook the diff seals.
Good luck!

Old 08-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member

Good thinking, Steve.

I suspect the lever is in the 'on' position....thus the feeling that is it disconnected.... AND the parking brakes themselves are inoperative.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-16-2015, 12:51 AM

So, the first thing is to check the brake lever. I will have to remove the seat 'cause there ain't no way I can get into it w/out removing the seat. You know, even with jeans I catch my cuffs on the handle....why would they make it so you have to "climb over" the emergency brake rather than position it to the right of the driver...I guess this is just a problem for folks over here.
One more question (for today); was the telescoping steering wheel an option on '88 xjses or did they all come with an adjustable steering wheel?
Thanks, again.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member

So, the first thing is to check the brake lever.

First make sure the lever in in the released position. Pull all the way, press button, release. Now pull up again. Does is feel like it's 'doing something'...or does it still feel like it isn't even connected to anything?

When you can move the up and down all floppy-like, it is in the 'applied' state.

why would they make it so you have to "climb over" the emergency brake rather than position it to the right of the driver...I guess this is just a problem for folks over here.

It should flop down flat on the floor. You must have baggy pants

As to 'why', well, it's just an 'interesting design feature'. Jags are loaded with 'em

One more question (for today); was the telescoping steering wheel an option on '88 xjses or did they all come with an adjustable steering wheel?

Standard equipment on all. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the telescoping wheel was standard issue on every Jaguar built since the 1948 XK120

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
kjopen (09-01-2017)
Old 08-16-2015, 01:33 AM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong....

Both of my '89's have telescoping wheels but no tilt. My '90 has a tilt wheel but no telescope.

In my opinion the '90 with the tilt is a much more comfortable car to get in and out of. Also, The turn signal and wiper stalks are bigger and more precise than the '89.

The only downside to the '90 is the steering wheel style. Due to the airbag it lost the sleek style that came on the non-airbag cars.

Mark

Old 08-16-2015, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

John,

As mentioned, the "drop-down" handbrake on an XJS is quite different to other cars. Are you sure the lever isn't already "on" (although it's not workng properly)? Application and release of the lever is not as per other cars.

It shouldn't really catch your jeans because it should always be flat on the floor whether applied or not. That's the principle of the drop-down lever. Personally, I really like teh design and position of it. And don't worry, it's not just US owners, we Brits have the lever on the outside as well, just on the other side!

Good luck with your investigations.

Paul

Old 08-16-2015, 10:31 AM

I am going to have to wait until tomorrow because I will have to purchase a *star* tool robust enough to remove the driver's seat bolts. I also printed out a diagram of the handbrake (I think was posted by Doug, Thanks!) so I have something to refer to.
But, as far as the handbrake lever goes, I have pulled it up and let it drop back several times, and it does not feel like it is connected to anything..and, there is no feel in the button at all. So, I will be investigating on Mon.
Just out of curiosity, do the right-hand drive cars have the emergency brake on the outside or to the left of the driver?? And, finally, to adjust the steering wheel, you have to turn the collar behind the wheel to move it in and out, correct? Many thanks, folks.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Just out of curiosity, do the right-hand drive cars have the emergency brake on the outside or to the left of the driver??

Outside

And, finally, to adjust the steering wheel, you have to turn the collar behind the wheel to move it in and out, correct? Many thanks, folks.

Right.

And if it hasn't been used much it'll probably be a little sticky

Cheers
DD

Old 08-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

John,

If you feel that you have to remove the seat to get to the handbrake, I would suggest that you just look under the car first and just see what the cable is doing when the handbrake lever is operated.

Paul

Old 08-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
John,

If you feel that you have to remove the seat to get to the handbrake, I would suggest that you just look under the car first and just see what the cable is doing when the handbrake lever is operated.

Paul

Good thinking, especially since removing the seat is no pleasure cruise. I recall some very fiddly little nuts.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-23-2016, 08:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has been very helpful !!!!!!
I just recently got my 89 XJS and the brake light has been on since I got it..... after reading this I now know how it works and the light went out when I did it the correct way
(guessing the guy I got it from had no idea either) so it has been in the ON position for a very long time.........

Thanks you guys