XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The fun begins....cooling fan split !

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The fun begins....cooling fan split !

OK...so I finally get my jag to S Fla (home) and I take it out for a run as my gas gage isn't working so I am trying to get a feel for distance to empty...

I go a 75 mile loop and about 70 miles into it..."BAMMM" I hear a thud like a ran over something...close to home so pull in and temp starts to climb ugh

I look under the hood and the BIG cooling fan has split in half and come off.. JOY JOY

I see now why these DYI sites are so helpful seems this type of adventure is in my future often being a new jag Owner

I called SNG Barrett and they were super helpful. Seem the fan clutch and stuff is fine, needs a new plastic fan blade. I have a feeling however there might be some other damage under there.....I know it ripped off an electrical wire for the supplemental aux fan (Original AZ car so extra fan I assume) so that's the next one...trying to figure out which wire is which !

FUN FUN I am a jag owner....but damnnnnn was it s smooth ride! I can see why you get hooked on these cars....thing of beauty

The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (08-25-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by H&Kjaguar
Seem the fan clutch and stuff is fine,

Make double sure about the clutch. Often, the clutch has seized...which makes the fan over-speed.....which then stresses the weak points (cracks).

Actually, if there's any question about the clutch at all, now's the time to just replace it

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Make double sure about the clutch. Often, the clutch has seized...which makes the fan over-speed.....which then stresses the weak points (cracks).

Actually, if there's any question about the clutch at all, now's the time to just replace it

Cheers
DD
would be a shame not to replace it at this price....

Fan Clutch Radiator Cooling New Jaguar XJ6 XJS Vanden Plas 1985 1987 | eBay

Old 08-22-2016, 11:27 AM

Is it an easy swap out?

I can do that if necessary. Seems to be ok but understand completely appreciate the advice

Why I come here

Old 08-22-2016, 11:31 AM

Clutch feels tight/proper , spins properly when engine is started, etc....but I know very little about these monsters so any advice would be cool

1989 V12 coupe last 5 vin = 50057

part number or name for fan clutch?

Old 08-22-2016, 07:23 PM

I ordered it

Thanks for the advice !

Appreciate it....always a great source here

Old 08-23-2016, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

YUP! That penny wise, pound foolish thing. It isn't that it spins, but that it continues to spin at highway RPM, when it should free wheel. Centrifugal force is an awesome thing. Old cracked plastic not up to the job.

Mission creep. Fan assembly, clutch, so far so good. Time to look at the drive belt/s. swap out of ? units will never be easier.

I think you dodged a bullet. Disintegrating fans can take out a lot more. radiators, bonnets, shrouds, etc....

Carl

Old 08-23-2016, 03:28 AM
Received 10,306 Likes on 6,818 Posts

Your lucky, mine punched a hole in the bonnet.

I maintain that, as said, my fan clutch seized, and since I was "low flying" at the time, s##t basically hit the fan, as they say.

Efans sorted that once and for all.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

The "aux" fan is not an AZ thing but a Jaguar thing, it come on with the a/c compressor and at a predetermined temp. It will stay on after shut down also till under a predetermined temp if it's on at time of shutdown. Make sure it's working before driving the car.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:38 AM

Ta
hanks JT Ill make sure I figure out the aux fan too. It has a separate rocker switch inside the cabin by your right knee (easy to kick on and off lol with your knee if your tall) so I thought it might be just a high temp thing but that's good to know

Hopefully my parts arrive today or tomorrow and I can inspect her a bit more this weekend...

Old 08-25-2016, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,052 Likes on 2,030 Posts

It shouldn't have an extra switch, that's a modification some owner has done. It runs through a relay, those can fail. It's a standard relay, just make sure it has an 87a terminal. I've pulled plenty of those from Fords in junkyards.

The electric fan should come on whenever the AC clutch is engaged, as well as at high temperatures.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,052 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by H&Kjaguar
Is it an easy swap out?
Remove the fan and clutch as as assembly, there is no other way. Loosen the nuts that hold the clutch on a bit at a time, and move them evenly. If you back one off all the way it will jam and not come off. All 4 need to move together. Same when putting it back, tighten them all down at about the same rate.

It's been a while since I have done it, but I think you'll need to remove the nuts (top and bottom - 2 are under the car) that hold the shroud on as well to give you some wiggle room to get the fan assembly in and out. Be careful not to damage the radiator with the fan blades, that's easy to do.

Last edited by Jagboi64; 08-25-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

That is the way I "understand" it. Two triggers for the auxiliary fan.
1. On with AC.
2. Temperature sensor.

The auxiliary fan that was on my XJwuzza six hangs on my shop wall.
It now relies on two Efans, managed by the PCM (ECU). One is separately triggered by the AC. I am not sure I like that feature.
redundant and counter intuitive. I don't wan a fan on at highway speed, AC or no Ac, why???

With E fans, the auxiliary fan is an unneeded impediment to air flow.

Carl

Old 08-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

For what it's worth, you might browse my thread here for the discussion I had regarding the main fan. I ended up going through the whole system shortly after, check here for my cooling system renewal extravaganza. It started with needing to do the cooling fan, and turned into doing everything after the car ran hot even after fan replacement. Removal and cleanout of radiator, new radiator foam, powder coated the radiator support and fan shroud, new isolation rubbers for the E-fan, new thermostats, new hoses, motor flush, etc etc. It runs nice and cool now!

Replacing the fan and clutch wasn't difficult at all. To get the clutch loose I tightened the belt to the point where the pulley wouldn't spin and loosened the nut on the stud that goes through the pulley itself, then would loosen the pulley, move the pulley 1/4 turn, tighten the belt back up, and repeat with the other 3 studs. I managed to snake it out without removing the radiator the first time that I did it (taking the upper raidator support off would have helped, as you can kind of "push" the radiator forward at that point, but the fan/clutch will come out without doing so.) I replaced just the fan at first, then thought about it and the "why the heck nots" got the better of me, so I took it back apart and did everything. I ended up getting a fan clutch from Napa Auto Parts, the part number is in my thread that I linked to above. Cheap and works well. The project as a whole was more expensive and time consuming, but worth it for the piece of mind in my opinion.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but from the sounds of it (I can't imagine Grant's situation, a hole right through the hood!) you might have gotten off easily with a couple broken wires! Good luck with the repair. Definitely a DIY project, not a dealer project.

Last edited by xjsman89; 08-26-2016 at 04:03 PM.