XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas smell

I'm new and posted in the new member. My first issue is a gas smell in the car and trunk and am wondering where to start. I've been told a lot of different things by a lot of different places. One friend suggested googling jaguar forums and wa-la.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch but am somewhat handy. Thanks for any and all help, and I hope I can help others as well.

The following users liked this post:
Kjt64 (03-14-2016)
Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

heres a good link that warrjon posted for me about the places that jags rust. skim through it and youll find a bit about gas smell in the trunk. apparently many jags suffer from this.

Jaguar XJ-S and XJS (all variants 1975 to 1996)

Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Tank rust is common as it wear-through from a rivet that the tank rests on.

Lots of hoses back there and even a slight weep from any of them can make a big smell in the small confines of the trunk. One tip I was told is to wrap all joints in colored tissue paper...which will darken with even a tiny ooze of gasoline.

A couple of the fuel pipes back there use o-rings so have new ones on hand when you start digging in!

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 10-19-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jefe
I'm new and posted in the new member. My first issue is a gas smell in the car and trunk and am wondering where to start. I've been told a lot of different things by a lot of different places. One friend suggested googling jaguar forums and wa-la.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch but am somewhat handy. Thanks for any and all help, and I hope I can help others as well.
0K, you are new, you said that, so WELCOME to teh real world of motoring.

As Doug has said, and these odours can be a PAIN to nail down.

It will be real helpful if you attach to your signature, or somewhere, what year and model, engine etc your car is. Things did change along the long life of the XJ-S, then there is rag tops, Cabriolet's, V12, 6cyl, etc etc, and knowing which year/variation we are dealing with always makes answers quicker and a tad more accurate.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Rusting causing pinholing on the hidden side of the fuel tank where it sits against the rear bulhead is a common problem with the XJS. I can only suggest you take the tank out and inspect it.

Of course, this will be after you have checked the hoses and pipes etc which are there too !!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:41 PM

Hi jefe,

Here's my story re: "gas" odor in my 1990 convertible xjs. Please note this is only in the trunk/boot, but a very strong odor -

I've been slowly dealing with this issue since I purchased the auto a few months ago. I did not notice any odor until the day I took possession from Monte Shelton Jaguar in Portland, Or. This may be because this was the first time I had been with the vehicle with the tank half full. On the test drives it was always only a couple gallons full.

The top two independent Jag mechanics in Portland have both told me it is not a gas odor. One suggests it's the carpet, the other some mildew or such. Everyone else who take a whiff, says 'gas'. My gut says it may be a combo of odors.

I have attempted Doug's great suggestion of the tissue paper on lines with unclear results, perhaps because there is also an issue with an uncapped battery vent.

The latest development comes from an upholostery guy who I'm having build up the driver's seat, who upon taking a nosefull of the trunk odor said, petrol of some sort. Suggested pulling carpet to see if something had been spilled on carpets. I have half the carpets out and the odor is substantially decreased, but still present.

I will further examine lines, filler mechanism, etc before pulling tank. I have a bid of $800.00 for tank pull and fix which I would go back at dealer for, but hopefully it won't come to that.

I tend to believe the Jag guys, but it's tough when your nose tells you one thing and the experts tell you another, ya know?

It has been an exercise in the fine line of different odors, for sure.

I hope this helps, somehow.,,,,

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

St Kid

Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

The fuel filter is in the boot behind the spare wheel. it is not uncommon for fuel to spill onto the boot carpets if care is not taken when replacing it.

cheers
Warren

Old 10-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks much, Warren -
That's a helpful detail.

Cheers,

St Kid

Old 10-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

If the carpeting (or pad under the tank) have had gas on them the odor lingers on forever....even if the source of the leak IS found and repaired.

I pulled all the carpeting and threw it in the bathtub with a big dose of Simple Green. Scrub, rinse, dry, sniff...repeat as necessary

If the undertank pad smells it'll never come clean. Don't waste time trying. Replace it with some closed cell foam or similar. The original padding is one of theose stupid expensive items from Jaguar....like $200-$300 worth of stupid expensive

Cheers
DD

Old 10-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks Doug,

I'm hoping it doesn't come to pulling the pad & I'm also a fan of the Simple Green. I was thinking of taking the carpet to a laundry-mat, any idea if that is too much jostling around for carpet? Is that why yoy used the tub?

Cheers,

St. Kid

Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

I used the bath tub because it's 30 feet away from the garage and free :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 10-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Thumbs up

Very good -

Old 10-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Default Thank you everyone

Great info along with some common sense which I at times lack. Will begin the project. The timing is good as the car will be put up for the winter very soon.

1. I plan on removing the carpet in the trunk, washing, and seeing if the smell lingers in the trunk.
2. Will then move to the interior of the car.
3. Check joints of hoses for leaks.
4. Look at fuel filter.

You guys are great. Will post a picture of my car next time.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Just bought a 1988 XJS in amazing condition. I noticed the fuel odor before I bought it but didn't worry too much. The owner had really done a ton of maintainence and upgrades to the sketchy systems. He hadn't delt with anything in the trunk so I guess I've got to deal with this issue.
It wasn't overpowering until I just filled the tank up. The next day it was really strong. I haven't had time to remove spare yet but I did pull back the carpet near fuel cap and felt around , tank, spout, and hose and I noticed on my fingers the smell of gas but didn't notice any wet area. I'm hoping it's simply the hose or something in that area so trouble shooting won't be so bad.
Anyone know if that's a common place for issues?

Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Fairly common issue. Fuel vent system can also be dodgy and cause fuel vapor smells in both the cabin and the trunk. Best way to tell if the fuel vent system is mucked up is fill the car up full and park it out in the sun. Open the fuel door and push down on the fuel filler cap. If you get a large 'whoosh,' possibly followed by a banging in the fuel tank, your fuel vent system is not working correctly.

Is your '88 a convertible or coupe? '88 convertibles were made by Hess & Eisenhardt and have complications in the fuel system that can fail and contribute to fuel vapors as well.

Cheers,

- Will

Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philhef
Just bought a 1988 XJS in amazing condition. I noticed the fuel odor before I bought it but didn't worry too much. The owner had really done a ton of maintainence and upgrades to the sketchy systems. He hadn't delt with anything in the trunk so I guess I've got to deal with this issue.
It wasn't overpowering until I just filled the tank up. The next day it was really strong. I haven't had time to remove spare yet but I did pull back the carpet near fuel cap and felt around , tank, spout, and hose and I noticed on my fingers the smell of gas but didn't notice any wet area. I'm hoping it's simply the hose or something in that area so trouble shooting won't be so bad.
Anyone know if that's a common place for issues?

Any and all of the pipes and hoses in the trunk are suspect, as well as the tank itself.

You probably won't see or feel any wet, dripping leaks. Just slight dampness or "weeping". In such a small enclosed area even a small "weep" is enough to make a BIG smell.

Opinions will vary but I think the best thing to do is pull the tank, replace everything (hoses and seals, and including the tank pad), make sure the tank itself isn't leaking.....and "be done with it" all in one shot. Lots of work but far less frustrating than the one-hose-at-a-time routine. BTDT.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

With over half full tank, pull spare and feel under carpet to the right of middle of tank to see if wet. I found a few XJSs with a small pin hole leak due to a factory screw coming from underneath the car. Part of the cage and exhaust heat shields mounting. The cars are old enought that thru vibration and bouncing, the screw finally pokes a hole in the tank. Very small but makes for an annoying smell and possible explosive boot space. Halfway between filter housing and middle of tank.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Opinions will vary but I think the best thing to do is pull the tank, replace everything (hoses and seals, and including the tank pad), make sure the tank itself isn't leaking.....and "be done with it" all in one shot. Lots of work but far less frustrating than the one-hose-at-a-time routine. BTDT.
DD
I 100% agree with Doug, who is as always dead right.

This is a bit of a pain to do, but there is nothing inherently complicated that you need special knowledge or tools for. I suggest you pull out the carpets, remove the battery, drain the fuel via the collecting tank under the battery (there is a hole in the boot (trunk) floor with a rubber bung in it to access the drain plug in the small tank).

The fuel filler spout can be a pain to get off the tank, but it will come out eventually - Kirbert Palm's book has wheezes for doing this. Pull the tank and get the bottom of it coated somehow. A local radiator guy did mine with a thick layer of radiator solder, for example. The guy also pressure-tested it as you would a repaired radiator to ensure no other leaks. Change all the flexibles, an hydraulic hose repair place can help here as not all the swaged hoses are available. Supply them with the best possible fuel hose and the old fitments.

Then, replace the fuel sender sealing ring, and the same-type one in the collecting tank exit spout, and renew the sock filter you will find inside, and clean out any crud in both tanks. Sit the tank on a high-tech piece of ally-backed solid rubber heat insulation stuff (which is only about 3mm thick - any thicker and the tank will not go back in easily). Ensure that the fuel overflow/spillage hose at the filler is changed and properly routed out of the boot. Also that the hoses and clips to the evaporation unit thingy (top RHS of the tank) are all renewed - these have to be undone to get the tank out.

Apart from waiting for the hoses to be made up, and getting the tank coated/treated professionally, and cleaning the carpets, this is all-in about 2 days work, max.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Thanks for all the advice.
I did actually notice the first time I filled it up after a day in the sun, that whooshing vacume sound. Hadn't heard that since the 80's when I had a triumph tr6!
If that is the case, what would be my first area to check for venting issue?

As for the full tank repair, I'm thinking about that already. Normally my brother and I would do this ourselves but now I don't have a good location to work so I'm probably going to take it to a local mechanic that specializes in jaguars, older ones in particular.

Any idea about how much this should cost? I'd like to go in with some idea!
That warranty on my XF sure is comforting!!!!

On a side note, anyone replaced the ski slope with the cup holder version? Mine was replaced by last owner but just the cigar tray type. Looks factory but I miss cup holders! Just wondered if they actually hold most cups. They look small.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,088 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Thanks for all the advice.
I did actually notice the first time I filled it up after a day in the sun, that whooshing vacume sound. Hadn't heard that since the 80's when I had a triumph tr6!
If that is the case, what would be my first area to check for venting issue?
I think the whoosh can be either air rushing into or out of the tank because the venting system is blocked somehow, depending upon whether fuel has been pumped out, or fuel has got hot and expanded/evaporated.

USA spec cars have a charcoal cannister system to soak up fumes. Someone else can explain it! But the vent from the tank goes out at the top, RHS of the tank, into a vapour separator, then to a little round plastic 'Rochester' valve that prevents either too much pressure or too much vacuum forming in the tank.

Both these are JUST get-atable with the tank in place, but not easily. The little plastic valve does fail. Even if working, I believe the pipe from it going forward to the charcoal cannister can get blocked, and the cannister's purge system can as well. You need to sort out this system as well, and get it working to prevent pressure damage to the tank.

If your local rules allow it, there are get-arounds, others will help with those.

Quick Reply: Gas smell