XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Headliner replacement update

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:39 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Headliner replacement update

After an unexpected delay due to a broken connector wire to the throttle sensor on my other car I returned to the jag headliner for a bit this evening. I tried using a hair dryer to loosen the glue holding the headliner material but found that not very satisfactory. I then went back to acetone/GoofOff and this works very well. The glue literally dissolves on contact. I am about 85% done now and have no significant peeling or cracks.

I am also coating the inside of the headliner with the polyacrylic finisher I used on the back side to give it more rigidity and strength.. I hope to have everything complete and ready for the installation this coming weekend. I do need to locate a pop rivet gun to affix the dome light frame. Not sure how I am going to get that accomplished just yet.

The gas tank retaining straps and hoses will all get re-assembled this weekend along with the new mirror, door sills, and temp control unit fiber optic wiring. Early to mid-March is the target to have her on the road again.
Now if I could just find that second car in the junk yard for the two remaining pieces I need. One trim and one functional; cruise control actuator. I have two. One works, at least the plungers activate with power applied. The wires are a bit broken but I can shrink wrap that if necessary. The other one looks better but doesn't activate with power applied.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-21-2017)