XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

How would you treat these parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Yes, that I fully accept, I am just on a mission to blow up some myths everyone thinks are true!
Not to hijack this thread, but of all the measurements I took in the summer, in my view the most significant was that the bypass oil cooler system takes 20 degrees C out of the oil and the oil temp never goes above 85C. This was a big surprise to me. And as and when the engine gets a rebuild (I am slowly gathering parts) the parts I have in stock to adapt it to full flow I shall not use as it is clearly unnecessary.
Mind you the original factory oil cooler was a very rudimentary affair consisting of a tube with steel wire loops welded to it to promote surface area. When that would not refit, the replacement I had to buy at huge cost was a far more modern multi-row cooler. It could be that with the old cooler things might have been different.
On the other hand, the old style cooler left FAR more open space for air to get directly to bottom half of the rad!
I really admire the attention to detail you put into this rebuild Daim. an example to us all!
Greg
All good mate. I've had smaller engines running a lot hotter and I honestly doubt that Jaguar would have produced a car for 21 years which would commonly cook it's own engine due to insufficient air circulation. The engine bay may be cramped but compare it to a Mustang from the 60ies, that will selfdestruct if driven a longer time at speeds only achieved in Germany (legally). All that space but then a crud engine (sorry guys). Only have US V8s from around the late 80ies/early 90ies been able to achieve a long life without dieing at higher speeds on German autobahns... Yes, Nascar and Race engines work but in a street car it won't live long.

Or even more extreme: Lamborghini Miura. Look at how cramped the engine is in there and how well the engines last... So compared to space and heatdissapation, the Jaguar V12 runs 'fine'... At least in my opinion. The stories of randomly dropping valve seats, warping due to overheating etc. are only from poorly maintained engines and we have to be honest: MOST XJ-S/XJS have been neglected and poorly serviced. Regular oil and water changes, correct antifreeze, correct parts, and sorting things as soon as they are due... Not many people do that and pass their car on instead.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

Just took he parts in... All metal parts from the throttle body linkage, the screws which hold the ends of the intakes on and loads of othe little parts... Shouldn't cot any more than €30. I went with yellow-zinc-plating, as it is contemporary and would be best looking. The chrome would require LOADS of polishing and you wouldn't see it...

Old 12-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Picked the parts up today. They look a lot better and should withstand time well (again) Some surfaces are perfect, others are plated but not sparkling... It'll do me, as you won't see most of them, luckily I just want to make sure they are at least coated.

Before:

After:

Compare the original plated part (far back in the middle) colourwise to the rest, and it looks nearly identical, well, not really but lacking cadmium plating choices here, it is as near as I will be able to get it.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Very nice looking stuff. More than likely good for your life time!! For sure if it were
mine !! At 87, how much more can there be ? No quarrel, it has been quite a ride!!!

Yup, Limits? Definitely.

1. My brand new 53 MG TD had it's limits. Valve float at "high" RPM's chasing, but not catching Porches on the autobahns.

2. In 55, on my way home in our 50 Belgian assembled Chevvy. From prior experience, I knew it's babbitt and splash system was good for up to 60 MPH, all
day long. More RPM's and the rod Babbitt would go!!

Held the pace. Three days almost non stop NY to El Paso, Texas. NO issues !!

Stay in the design or improve it !!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Daim (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

ummmm..... I'm not sure which yellow finish you are looking at using but the typical yellow chromate finish is very toxic to apply. We have changed the coatings of our products to a clear finish. Its use is highly restricted. Care should be taken when sanding off the old finish. Inhaled hexavalent chromium is recognized as a human carcinogen.

If your going to sand please do so i a well ventilated area and use a dust mask as a minimum.

Maybe your referring to a different finish in which case I apologize for the mistake