XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

If Jaguar were redesigning the XJS Today what suggestions would you like to make?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default If Jaguar were redesigning the XJS Today what suggestions would you like to make?

If Jaguar were redesigning the XJS today and called on existing owners for some feedback or ideas, what kind of improvements would you suggest they made?

This Can be anything you like, from something very minor, to the edition of another Engine in their range. (and optional your reason why)

So I would start by asking them to lower the Hood Stack and make it like the one that's on the Hess and Einhart Convertible.

Even though I'm 6ft tall, its still a bit of a problem looking behind you.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:50 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd like to see a real V12 that performs like it should

orangeblossom (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

More aggressive diff gearing. The 2.88 diff blunts the performance too much.

Manual control heating and a/c versus 'automatic climate control'

Rear anti-roll bar standard on all models

More reliable instruments

Less complicated cooling system on V12 models

Manual transmission on V12 models and/or a more modern automatic transmission

That's all I can think of at the moment

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (04-26-2016), orangeblossom (04-26-2016), Rhett (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Well, for starters it would be a smaller turning circle and a revisdd power steering, as in not so light (pre-face lift), or not so heavy (face lift cars), in other words, just like the p/s on my XJR. Then there's the cabin that would need more room because it is just too tight in there and I'm only 158 lbs, 5'10", yet my hair is always hitting the head liner, so lower the seat along with some height adjustment. And I would definitely keep the far more practical interior trunk, or at least make that rear seat so it has leg room that actually makes sense for the average human, or then just put that trunk back in there. --

But then we have th power plant, only that technology timing is all important in regards to engines. It's very different to suggest an engine in 1975 (V12), or 1992/4 (AJ6 - AJ16), or 1996 (AJV8), or even Engines available today, 2016. But, since the thread title includes "today", then that V12 needs to be replaced with something:
1. With far better fuel economy
2. More reliable
3. Easier to work on
4. Lighter
5. With the power that is a little closer to that of the quivalent "other" V12's

The obvious choice would be either the x350 engine with the 6 speed tranny, or better yet, the latter 5.0L s/c V8 Jag. But if this was too much to ask, then the s/c AJ16 would be a nice compromise that would address most of the five shortcomings. The AJ6 engine does address most of it, but he Jag V8's are far more sophisticated. Finally, I would touch up the headlights with a little more roundness and more angle. Otherwise, voila, a super XJS.

Cheers,

Old 04-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

the Aston-Martin V12 400 to 500 Hp and an 6 to 8 speed paddle shift AutoMatic the 2.88:1 can stay just enough lower gears in the 6 to 8 speed Auto to make it Impossible for most anything to keep up...

lower the Hood Stack and make it with a body open hard cover to there is no cloth cover when the top is down
oh and also make that hard cover so that it has two modes...
one with the 2+2 option and the other where it snugs up to the back of the two front seats...
could even: since we are dreaming here... a third mode for parking with the top down that the front seats recline and the hard tonneau covers the whole of the interior

and a removable Hard top for those that have hard weather seasons...

CUP HOLDERS instead of Cigar ash trays.....

Rims and Tires that do not go obsolete in 5 years....
life time warranty... :-) (does not cover Tires and Oil and Gas)
"cell phone Jammer when the engine is running...." save a life maybe even yours! :-)

that should be enough...
and an XJS-R with Rollcage and supercharged 7.0 liter Aston martin v12 putting out 1400HP ect. with the nick name supermarine spitfire...

AND PLEASE RETAIN THE LONG NOSE BONNET in UK and engine cover or hood in the US
I get more comments about how long the front of the car is...

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 04-26-2016 at 01:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jonathan-W:
Greg in France (04-26-2016), orangeblossom (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,077 Likes on 5,345 Posts

GREAT thread idea OB! My list (as far as the V12 coupe is concerned only):
  • V12 with the 4 valve head, which will go in because
  • Front subframe done away with and body generally engineered to modern body standards, so engine can be lower so 4 valve heads can get under that peerless bonnet. Power now top notch. The Aston V12 has this configuration being In essence, believe it or not, two Ford V6s welded together.
  • Rear subframe also removed and replaced by modern jaguar axle anchored straight to he re-engineered body
  • Pre-facelift bodywork reengineered for rust traps etc etc but untouched from a visual point of view
  • Ride/handling/NVH qualities unchanged
  • Interior cosmetically unchanged but modern aircon system and loom connectors, etc etc
  • Dry sump system on engine
  • Far more attention to radiator airflow effectiveness and louvred bonnet
  • Modern door seals etc on the car
  • The feel of the car to remain Grand Tourer. It does NOT want to be turned into an out and out "modern muscle car" beater. Just delivering a 5.5 sec 0 to 60 when you really floor it, and an effortless near-silent progress to a governed 155mph.
Greg

The following 4 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (04-27-2016), Mac Allan (04-26-2016), orangeblossom (04-26-2016), Rhett (05-04-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,905 Likes on 1,661 Posts

So, basically, none of you actually want an XJS then?

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve M:
orangeblossom (04-26-2016), ronbros (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M

??

I'd love to have another XJS....and probably will one of these days

Cheers
DD

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug:
Jonathan-W (04-27-2016), Mac Allan (04-26-2016), orangeblossom (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
No, don't fool yourself, Steve.
With rare exceptions, we all know that our beloved XJS has its share of shortcomings, some of which quite obvious, but we obviously tend to keep it inside, as in denial, but the car does have more than its share of "I wish it did's.."

What happens is that the car is so special, so beautiful and provoking, attracting glances like few other cars, really, and with such a superb ride feel that we totally love it regardless of it all. Some may say that the shortcomings tend to be true with most cars, and they'd be right, but those "other" cars do not compensate in the generous ways that our beloved XJS does. So, yes, we all DO want an XJS, regardless of agreeing with suggesting "only in your dreams" improvements. Does the fact that a guy who keeps his wife means that she's perfect and does not need any possible "improvements? In most cases not, of course, but it doesn't mean he doesn't want her...

Nothing wrong with wishful thinking...

Cheers,

The following 4 users liked this post by Forcedair1:
Greg in France (04-27-2016), Jonathan-W (04-27-2016), orangeblossom (04-26-2016), Rhett (05-04-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Received 569 Likes on 364 Posts

1. A modern HVAC system with diagnostics via OBD II, and real engine/drive train diagnostics via OBDII. It is amazing the things modern diagnostics help in fixing problems. The XJS drive train and HVAC, especially the pre-facelift models, was very complex, with virtually no self diagnostic or OBDII capability. I have factory style OBDII diagnostic ability for a BMW I own, and with it I can generally pinpoint fault areas in every system on the car. We end up chasing our tails on the XJS, simply because we can't precisely pinpoint the faults.

2. Get rid of every single part that says Lucas. They couldn't even design proper switches, for crissake. The exterior rearview mirror and wiper switches (I've had both apart) are absolutely abominable designs. It's like Lucas couldn't copy something that worked from other manufacturers, they had to come up with the most convoluted, failure prone designs they could think of. I have a friend who owns many British cars, and he says the British, and especially Lucas engineered things until they worked once, and stopped. They never engineered until it worked well, or redesigned anything to fix faults.

3. Manual transmissions on the V-12 with better rear end ratios. With modern fuel management systems, the V-12 would get much better mileage anyway.

Last edited by jal1234; 04-26-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Great laterally thinking thread Orangeblossom!

Humorous thought:
  • Lend some cars free of charge to a film maker or a TV director of a detective / spy programme so that 20 years later prices rise and I can justify to my first love why I am spending so much money on my second love.
Serious thoughts:
  • More room in the driver's foot-well. I find mine cramped and the pedals offset too far to the side but maybe that is because mine is a manual.
  • More coupes with factory fitted, metal, sliding sunroofs (as Volvo estates - my third love).
  • Electric rear windows in the coupe operated from the driver's seat. Could the coupe body ever have been made pillar-less like Merc SLs?
Apart from that, not much else as I think 26 years later (in my case) it is still a great car.

Cheers all,

LeeP

The following 2 users liked this post by leep123:
Jonathan-W (04-27-2016), orangeblossom (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 806 Likes on 510 Posts

OK, I won't repeat any of the prior suggestions except to say I agree with Greg on the 4 valve V12 and the transmission/diff comments. Let's see...

A better looking and not plastic front grill.

On the convertible have it be a retractable hard top that looks clean and tidy either up or down.

Bumpers that look less "it's the best we could do given the mandates and our cash flow"

A bonnet/hood that electrocutes anyone trying to install a leaper on it. ; )

The following 2 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
Greg in France (04-27-2016), orangeblossom (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BC XJS
I'd like to see a real V12 that performs like it should
Although I'm not an expert, it seems fine to me, so what production V12 are you comparing it with.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
More aggressive diff gearing. The 2.88 diff blunts the performance too much.

Manual control heating and a/c versus 'automatic climate control'

Rear anti-roll bar standard on all models

More reliable instruments

Less complicated cooling system on V12 models

Manual transmission on V12 models and/or a more modern automatic transmission

That's all I can think of at the moment

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug

What would you like to see in the way of 'Diff Gearing' Is it available and can it be fitted to the IRS we have.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
the Aston-Martin V12 400 to 500 Hp and an 6 to 8 speed paddle shift AutoMatic the 2.88:1 can stay just enough lower gears in the 6 to 8 speed Auto to make it Impossible for most anything to keep up...

lower the Hood Stack and make it with a body open hard cover to there is no cloth cover when the top is down
oh and also make that hard cover so that it has two modes...
one with the 2+2 option and the other where it snugs up to the back of the two front seats...
could even: since we are dreaming here... a third mode for parking with the top down that the front seats recline and the hard tonneau covers the whole of the interior

and a removable Hard top for those that have hard weather seasons...

CUP HOLDERS instead of Cigar ash trays.....

Rims and Tires that do not go obsolete in 5 years....
life time warranty... :-) (does not cover Tires and Oil and Gas)
"cell phone Jammer when the engine is running...." save a life maybe even yours! :-)

that should be enough...
and an XJS-R with Rollcage and supercharged 7.0 liter Aston martin v12 putting out 1400HP ect. with the nick name supermarine spitfire...

AND PLEASE RETAIN THE LONG NOSE BONNET in UK and engine cover or hood in the US
I get more comments about how long the front of the car is...
Aston Martin V12 Engine!

Now you're really talking but having said that, I'm more than happy with the Stock V12 but maybe that's just me.

Also agree about a hardshell Soft Top Cover, like they have on the early Merc SL's and a detachable Hard Top for the Winter.

Jonathan-W (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
GREAT thread idea OB! My list (as far as the V12 coupe is concerned only):
  • V12 with the 4 valve head, which will go in because
  • Front subframe done away with and body generally engineered to modern body standards, so engine can be lower so 4 valve heads can get under that peerless bonnet. Power now top notch. The Aston V12 has this configuration being In essence, believe it or not, two Ford V6s welded together.
  • Rear subframe also removed and replaced by modern jaguar axle anchored straight to he re-engineered body
  • Pre-facelift bodywork reengineered for rust traps etc etc but untouched from a visual point of view
  • Ride/handling/NVH qualities unchanged
  • Interior cosmetically unchanged but modern aircon system and loom connectors, etc etc
  • Dry sump system on engine
  • Far more attention to radiator airflow effectiveness and louvred bonnet
  • Modern door seals etc on the car
  • The feel of the car to remain Grand Tourer. It does NOT want to be turned into an out and out "modern muscle car" beater. Just delivering a 5.5 sec 0 to 60 when you really floor it, and an effortless near-silent progress to a governed 155mph.
Greg
Hi Greg

Lots of interest in that Aston Engine, would one of those drop straight in, I've never actually seen one, so maybe someone would put up a Pic.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
No, don't fool yourself, Steve.
With rare exceptions, we all know that our beloved XJS has its share of shortcomings, some of which quite obvious, but we obviously tend to keep it inside, as in denial, but the car does have more than its share of "I wish it did's.."

What happens is that the car is so special, so beautiful and provoking, attracting glances like few other cars, really, and with such a superb ride feel that we totally love it regardless of it all. Some may say that the shortcomings tend to be true with most cars, and they'd be right, but those "other" cars do not compensate in the generous ways that our beloved XJS does. So, yes, we all DO want an XJS, regardless of agreeing with suggesting "only in your dreams" improvements. Does the fact that a guy who keeps his wife means that she's perfect and does not need any possible "improvements? In most cases not, of course, but it doesn't mean he doesn't want her...

Nothing wrong with wishful thinking...

Cheers,
Hi Reinaldo

Having thought about it, there is really nothing I don't like apart from the Hood Stack, as already mentioned and Full Rust Proofing throughout the Car would be great.

The Steering just feels right to me and I've never really noticed the long turning circle and in fact I would say its one of the easiest Cars I've ever driven, although I can appreciate that not everyone feels that way.

One thing I would really love, is a Harmon Kardon Sound System, like the one I used to have on my XJR Supercharger.

Which was finishes in 'Screaming Green!' or whatever its called. (Lol)

Greg in France (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jal1234
1. A modern HVAC system with diagnostics via OBD II, and real engine/drive train diagnostics via OBDII. It is amazing the things modern diagnostics help in fixing problems. The XJS drive train and HVAC, especially the pre-facelift models, was very complex, with virtually no self diagnostic or OBDII capability. I have factory style OBDII diagnostic ability for a BMW I own, and with it I can generally pinpoint fault areas in every system on the car. We end up chasing our tails on the XJS, simply because we can't precisely pinpoint the faults.

2. Get rid of every single part that says Lucas. They couldn't even design proper switches, for crissake. The exterior rearview mirror and wiper switches (I've had both apart) are absolutely abominable designs. It's like Lucas couldn't copy something that worked from other manufacturers, they had to come up with the most convoluted, failure prone designs they could think of. I have a friend who owns many British cars, and he says the British, and especially Lucas engineered things until they worked once, and stopped. They never engineered until it worked well, or redesigned anything to fix faults.

3. Manual transmissions on the V-12 with better rear end ratios. With modern fuel management systems, the V-12 would get much better mileage anyway.
The 'Prince of Darkness' strikes again.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leep123
Great laterally thinking thread Orangeblossom!

Humorous thought:
  • Lend some cars free of charge to a film maker or a TV director of a detective / spy programme so that 20 years later prices rise and I can justify to my first love why I am spending so much money on my second love.
Serious thoughts:
  • More room in the driver's foot-well. I find mine cramped and the pedals offset too far to the side but maybe that is because mine is a manual.
  • More coupes with factory fitted, metal, sliding sunroofs (as Volvo estates - my third love).
  • Electric rear windows in the coupe operated from the driver's seat. Could the coupe body ever have been made pillar-less like Merc SLs?
Apart from that, not much else as I think 26 years later (in my case) it is still a great car.

Cheers all,

LeeP
I wouldn't lend anyone my Car, least of all a Film Maker (Lol)

I believe they got through a few of these, when they were making 'The Saint'

Old 04-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
OK, I won't repeat any of the prior suggestions except to say I agree with Greg on the 4 valve V12 and the transmission/diff comments. Let's see...

A better looking and not plastic front grill.

On the convertible have it be a retractable hard top that looks clean and tidy either up or down.

Bumpers that look less "it's the best we could do given the mandates and our cash flow"

A bonnet/hood that electrocutes anyone trying to install a leaper on it. ; )
I love that last suggestion Mac and a 'Trick Roof' like on the Merc SL would be great.

Quick Reply: If Jaguar were redesigning the XJS Today what suggestions would you like to make?