XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

If Jaguar were redesigning the XJS Today what suggestions would you like to make?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
CUP HOLDERS instead of Cigar ash trays.....
Yes! What is the going solution for this? ( I think this issue deserves it's own thread! :-D )

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W

CUP HOLDERS instead of Cigar ash trays.....
Oh no, please. It's one of the perks and joys of driving open air, to be able to enjoy a nice Cuban, which for some reason seems to be even more enjoyable while driving this magnificent open air beauty. Even the wife, too, enjoys a classy stogie once in a while on her side, meaning that both ashtrays need to STAY (bad manners to use the street as an ashtray).

Cup holders? No prob, I have three of them without sacrificing a single ashtray.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails If Jaguar were redesigning the XJS Today what suggestions would you like to make?-my-xjs-cup-holders.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Forcedair1:
Greg in France (04-27-2016), orangeblossom (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,050 Likes on 2,029 Posts

I'd like one that keeps fluids that are supposed to be inside the car inside, i.e oil and power steering oil, and fluids that are supposed to stay outside the car outside i.e. rain.

As mentioned effective HVAC would be great, as well as more headroom. Rearward visibility is awful too, so a backup camera would be nice.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
I have three of them without sacrificing a single ashtray.
Cheers,
This is one very nice looking interior!

The following 2 users liked this post by NJ2003XJ8:
Forcedair1 (04-26-2016), orangeblossom (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
More aggressive diff gearing. The 2.88 diff blunts the performance too much.
The 6.0 cars with the 4 speed automatic have a 3.54 rear axle ratio. I believe the 4.0 AJ16 engined cars had the same ratio.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Reinaldo

Having thought about it, there is really nothing I don't like apart from the Hood Stack, as already mentioned and Full Rust Proofing throughout the Car would be great.

The Steering just feels right to me and I've never really noticed the long turning circle and in fact I would say its one of the easiest Cars I've ever driven, although I can appreciate that not everyone feels that way.

One thing I would really love, is a Harmon Kardon Sound System, like the one I used to have on my XJR Supercharger.

Which was finishes in 'Screaming Green!' or whatever its called. (Lol)
If a person drove only an XJS, then the rather large turning circle would probably be perceived as normal. But when you keep switching cars (I do with my XJR and the wife's little Z3) then you tend to notice it more, especially right after you've driven the Z3 go-kart...

Special sound? Now you're talking, OB. I typically prefer to have a nice sound system and, since the XJS never offered such a thing, it was one of the first things that I upgraded on it. In fact, it was so early (16 years ago) that it is by now getting dated and missing some of today's awesome features.

This "ideal XJS" ICE would have all the modern wireless connectivity to smart phones, to download just about anything you desire. A very generous, integral, music and video storage (500 GB today is like nothing anymore) with a 10" TFT auto-hiding and HD display, plus a superb digital sound processor and well tuned amps, speakers and (powerful) sub woofer system. Perhaps an on-board pc with an auto-hide keyboard an in-dash printer and 24/7 internet, etc.

Where can I go to order one of these cars...LOL?

BTW, did you say that you used to have an XJR in..."screaming green"? is that by any chance as in BRG? Why? Because I looked for a BRG XJR for so long when I was shopping for a low-miles and in factory warranty XJR to replace my old BRG XJ8L and could never find one, so I bought my Zircon blue XJR, which is nice, but it's just not a BRG like my old XJ8L or, better yet, like my XJS, ah hah!

Cheers,

Old 04-26-2016, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
The 6.0 cars with the 4 speed automatic have a 3.54 rear axle ratio. I believe the 4.0 AJ16 engined cars had the same ratio.
Yes, and so did the 4.0L AJ6 engined cars, including outboard rear brakes.

Cheers,

Old 04-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

Let me answer this a couple of different ways...

* When I think of updating a car, the one thing I won't consider is changing the motor. So assuming the 5.3 V12 in my car could pass modern emissions, it stays.

Therefore, here's my top 10 list of what I'd change:

1. Junk this friggin' transmission. I hate the GM400 in all its forms, in every car it was ever in, ever. Offer a row-it-yourself box and a mid-modern 4- or 5-speed automatic. You can keep your shift flippers, I'll be taking the stick.

2. Different rear-end gearing.

3. Total suspension re-do or at least the option to fit the car with a very flat, very firm suspension (deal with body flex while we're here). It doesn't even have to be adjustable. Just give me the factory option to have a real road performance car. This means larger tires/rims as well.

4. Modern braking system. I've had two XJSes now and I hate the factory brake feel on both.

5. Tighten the power assist steering up. My current XJS is better than my first one; my first one, I'd rather have had no power steering than what it came with.

6. A very simple HVAC system.

7. Better instrumentation. Speaking mostly of a fuel gauge that doesn't just give me its best guess, or gauges I can read after 7 p.m.

8. External fuel pump. Hate tank-mounted ones when they fail.

9. HUD or LED headlamps that retain the classic look/shape of the XJS's four round gov't-issued lights (i.e., no Euro-styled lights or modern fixtures that look like the Eyes of Lord Zoltan).

10. All-aluminum, high-efficiency, high-performance radiator. I just fitted an aftermarket version in my car and in the process, I no longer fear summer traffic.

Jess

The following 2 users liked this post by JessN16:
Old 04-26-2016, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 806 Likes on 510 Posts

Vacuum lines and all the various bits controlled come to mind.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
Old 04-27-2016, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I think that if the XJS had been designed with modern technology it would have a V12 engine with much more power. Improvements in engine design and fuel management would produce more power and better fuel economy. A modern multi speed transmission would provide a better driving experience. It's the twelve cylinder engine that gives the XJS it's identity as a luxury GT, so the XK8 wasn't really a replacement. Supercharged V6 and V8 engines can provide a lot of power but they don't deliver the mystique. That's one of the things that gives the Aston it's appeal. I think that usable, kid sized back seats are important too. A flush fitting, folding metal hardtop convertible would be nice too. I like the pre-facelift styling the best. Kind of hard to improve on that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rivguy:
Old 04-27-2016, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,083 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
So, basically, none of you actually want an XJS then?
Oooh, Steve, touche. I would like one the same as now but re-engineered to modern standards, instrument quality, loom quality, and so on. But would I love it? probably not...

However, guys, and this is interesting, none of us has said, "Why not just buy a modern XK8"? Whereas in the 1960s, everyone would have said (on the Bakelite telephone naturally, having waited 7 days for a phone connection to Australia/USA etc etc) "Forget the XK150, buy an E Type". What that tells me is that modern cars have FAR less glamour/appeal/beauty/kerb appeal than the XJS.
Greg

Old 04-27-2016, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member

Aston Martin V12 Engine!

Now you're really talking but having said that, I'm more than happy with the Stock V12 but maybe that's just me.

I am not suggesting an Aston transplant OB, perish the thought. Just that with the same sort of pentroof 4 valve cylinder head that is on the 6 cylinder AJ6 engine, our beloved V12 would be about twice as powerful with far better economy. Getting it in is the problem. But the Aston V12 shows just what a difference a modern head makes. The Ford 2.5 litre V6 is an absolute stormer, and Aston by using two of them made a superb V12 engine.

That bloke Lutz, mentioned in another thread, will make you one for 50 or 60 Gs, so keep buying the lottery ticket!
Greg

Old 04-27-2016, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
What that tells me is that modern cars have FAR less glamour/appeal/beauty/kerb appeal than the XJS.
Greg
Although having driven one, I would take a modern XK over an XJS any day if I could pick the keys of one or the other. Doing a "restomod" to an XJS is a different thing to consider.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ2003XJ8
Yes! What is the going solution for this? ( I think this issue deserves it's own thread! :-D )
Hi

Already quite a few Threads on this and lots of suitable Cup holders on ebay.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I'd like one that keeps fluids that are supposed to be inside the car inside, i.e oil and power steering oil, and fluids that are supposed to stay outside the car outside i.e. rain.

As mentioned effective HVAC would be great, as well as more headroom. Rearward visibility is awful too, so a backup camera would be nice.
Hi

I keep spare Oil/Water/Spanners etc in the Cubby Box behind the Seat, a very useful addition to have in there.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
If a person drove only an XJS, then the rather large turning circle would probably be perceived as normal. But when you keep switching cars (I do with my XJR and the wife's little Z3) then you tend to notice it more, especially right after you've driven the Z3 go-kart...

Special sound? Now you're talking, OB. I typically prefer to have a nice sound system and, since the XJS never offered such a thing, it was one of the first things that I upgraded on it. In fact, it was so early (16 years ago) that it is by now getting dated and missing some of today's awesome features.

This "ideal XJS" ICE would have all the modern wireless connectivity to smart phones, to download just about anything you desire. A very generous, integral, music and video storage (500 GB today is like nothing anymore) with a 10" TFT auto-hiding and HD display, plus a superb digital sound processor and well tuned amps, speakers and (powerful) sub woofer system. Perhaps an on-board pc with an auto-hide keyboard an in-dash printer and 24/7 internet, etc.

Where can I go to order one of these cars...LOL?

BTW, did you say that you used to have an XJR in..."screaming green"? is that by any chance as in BRG? Why? Because I looked for a BRG XJR for so long when I was shopping for a low-miles and in factory warranty XJR to replace my old BRG XJ8L and could never find one, so I bought my Zircon blue XJR, which is nice, but it's just not a BRG like my old XJ8L or, better yet, like my XJS, ah hah!

Cheers,
Hi Reinaldo

She was 'Turquoise' a sort of 'Marmite' colour you either love or hate and She was a bit of an impulse buy, as She was open to offers and so I only bought her because She was a 'Bargain'

Although the longer I had her, the more that 'Turquoise' colour got on my nerves, so She had to go and I used the dough to by my 1995 XJS Celebration Convertible in Morocco Red. (a much nicer colour)

I.C.E. wise you really seem to have it all but my XJS Celebration, has got the Harmon Kardon and and even a built in Telephone as well.

Those interiors are really nice as well!

Old 04-27-2016, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member

Oooh, Steve, touche. I would like one the same as now but re-engineered to modern standards, instrument quality, loom quality, and so on. But would I love it? probably not...

However, guys, and this is interesting, none of us has said, "Why not just buy a modern XK8"? Whereas in the 1960s, everyone would have said (on the Bakelite telephone naturally, having waited 7 days for a phone connection to Australia/USA etc etc) "Forget the XK150, buy an E Type". What that tells me is that modern cars have FAR less glamour/appeal/beauty/kerb appeal than the XJS.
Greg
Hi Greg

Bang on with that comment, the XK8 just doesn't do it for me.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

I am not suggesting an Aston transplant OB, perish the thought. Just that with the same sort of pentroof 4 valve cylinder head that is on the 6 cylinder AJ6 engine, our beloved V12 would be about twice as powerful with far better economy. Getting it in is the problem. But the Aston V12 shows just what a difference a modern head makes. The Ford 2.5 litre V6 is an absolute stormer, and Aston by using two of them made a superb V12 engine.

That bloke Lutz, mentioned in another thread, will make you one for 50 or 60 Gs, so keep buying the lottery ticket!
Greg
Hi Greg

Now you tell me!

I've just spent loads of money this morning on: Waxoyl/Battery/Engine Oil/Filter. The list goes on....

But if I do Win the Lottery, then I might treat you to an Aston Engine, if you help me put mine in.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

But if I do Win the Lottery, then I might treat you to an Aston Engine, if you help me put mine in.

Aston-style AJ6 headed Jaguar V12, OB, and it's a deal!
Greg

Old 04-27-2016, 06:17 AM
Received 10,296 Likes on 6,814 Posts

Having read all that I need a drink, oh no, I gave that up.

I would have my '85 as it was AFTER I spent all that time sorting most all of what has been said in here.

It is what it is, and that is an awesome CRUISER, and a traffic stopper in the city, and NOT because the damn thing "failed to proceed".

As Jess mentioned, that GM400 boat anchor would go. A 5 speed ZF of suitable torque spec would sit in there just nicely.

Power in mine was more than I needed.

The early seats, weeeeeell, maybe a touch up here and there.

Rearview issues, WHO CARES where ya been, look out the front, thats the bit that will bite ya at 160KPH.

OH yes, and a LEAPER, like the REAL S Type had. BIG and BOLD, and ANGRY.

Then I will need 2 new legs so I can bend and get in the damn thing, but then if that was possible, I would still have the Red Devil, and all that typing above would be pointless.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (04-27-2016), o1xjr (04-27-2016), orangeblossom (04-27-2016)

Quick Reply: If Jaguar were redesigning the XJS Today what suggestions would you like to make?