XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Imagine if it were 1961 all over again!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

If we were back in 1961 and Jaguar had just released the E as they did along with the XJS just as it was released in 1975 but also with a inline 6 option I would have chosen the E-type all day long.

Though I love my XJS' the first generation E-type is a true sports car that fit the 1960's. It is a car that stops most people in their tracks and just oozes sexy from every angle. It was and is a show stopper period. I should know because one of my friends has a E roadster and I have gone to many a show and drives with him and I can say from first hand experience as sexy as the XJS is IMHO it just does not hold up to a E.

The '75 XJS just does not have the presence that a '61 E type has and that is why it was not so well received when it was introduced. That would have been no different in 1961 and most likely worse because a large and heavy GT coupe would not have fit the scene well in 1961.

IMHO the XJS has gotten better looking with time but the E is timeless.

Attached Thumbnails Imagine if it were 1961 all over again!-imgp3696.jpg   Imagine if it were 1961 all over again!-imgp3695.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:31 PM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry guys. For me it would be the Shelby Cobra. That's one Sexy Beast

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Some Day, Some Day
I've never driven an E-Type, but they are seriously good-looking cars (which seems to put me in a minority here). Not sure if I'd want to live with one, of course.
They're exciting to drive....partially due to thrill of simply being behind the wheel of such an icon. The noises are pronounced and delicious. The long hood rises up in front of you on hard acceleration....which is quite impressive coming off the line even with the later, lower powered models. The steering is tight, the cars feels nimble and chuckable, almost. These are things that can't be said about an XJS. They are very different cars to the point of being apples and oranges.

Also included with the E-type is a cramped interior, (virtually) no ventilations system, (virtually) no heat/sound insulation, no luxury/convenience features. These are things that can't be said about an XJS.

I love E-types. If I could have a collection of sports and GT cars an E-Type would absolutely be included.

If I could have only *one* speciality/sports/ hobby car, well, I'm afraid an E-Type wouldn't be the one.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
orangeblossom (07-22-2016), ronbros (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by BC XJS
Sorry guys. For me it would be the Shelby Cobra. That's one Sexy Beast
Emphasis on the "beast" part.

They make an E-Type look (and drive) like the epitome of refinement.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
orangeblossom (07-21-2016), ronbros (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:28 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
They're exciting to drive....partially due to thrill of simply being behind the wheel of such an icon. The noises are pronounced and delicious. The long hood rises up in front of you on hard acceleration....which is quite impressive coming off the line even with the later, lower powered models. The steering is tight, the cars feels nimble and chuckable, almost. These are things that can't be said about an XJS. They are very different cars to the point of being apples and oranges.

Also included with the E-type is a cramped interior, (virtually) no ventilations system, (virtually) no heat/sound insulation, no luxury/convenience features. These are things that can't be said about an XJS.

I love E-types. If I could have a collection of sports and GT cars an E-Type would absolutely be included.

If I could have only *one* speciality/sports/ hobby car, well, I'm afraid an E-Type wouldn't be the one.

Cheers
DD
I agree Doug-two very different cars. Kind of like comparing a '70 Corvette to a '84 Corvette-apples and oranges. The E type is a great looking car but not the car I would want to take on a long highway trip compared to the XJS.

One of the main reasons I was drawn towards the XJS beyond its low-wide-muscular stance is that the XJS is a little of the old mixed in with a little of the modern. This was one of the main factors why I chose a late XJS over the XK8. Very nice having a car that looks older and to my eyes more classic but yet also has some nice modern features like ABS , fuel injection and air bags.

Easy to forget how refined the XJS is until you spend some time on a extended road trip in a car like the E-type. Fascinating how some of the sexiest cars made in the 1950's and 60's just are not that much fun to drive in today's traffic.

Yes the E type will get the majority of the attention at the car shows with that bonnet lifted up showing the wonderful XK engine but the XJS will help you relax on your way home.

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
Mkii250 (07-26-2016), orangeblossom (07-22-2016)