XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jag Conversion Kit

Old 09-21-2016, 08:07 AM
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Jag Conversion Kit

First of all thank you all for your guidance in my other thread in helping me select a new engine for my XJS, especially Padre:

A happy day, then a sad one (Chevy 350 Conversion)

Based on all of the input I received, I bought an LS3 with 21k miles from a 2014 Camaro SS. It is a full engine dropout with a six speed 6L80E automatic transmission, all accessories, and ECM:

2014 Chevy SS LS3 Motor Engine Drop Out Automatic 6 Speed Transmission 21K Miles

The price was $9k, but they accepted my best offer of $8500. Hopefully you guys will tell me I got a good deal...

Now I need to pick a conversion kit. I was leaning towards John's, but a few comments in the other thread have made me consider Jaguar Specialties.

Can anyone run down the pros and cons of each please?

Old 09-21-2016, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

I have purchased and installed 2 Andrews SBC kits. They are well engineered and the manual was an asset. Perhaps the best part of the Jag Specialties kit is Andrew. He is knowledgeable and interested in these projects as an enthusiast. If you follow his recommendations you will save money.

The pro is Andrew and the good over all engineering makes the install quick and somewhat painless.

The Con is... with kits in general... there tends to be compromises to make it all work from a business perspective. For a driver car this is fine and is ideal in some respects as serviceability and ease of installation is considered. For example with the SBC kits the engine sits high and far more forward than is necessary or ideal for a performance build. This is to accommodate various transmissions, header pipe simplicity and oil pan variability.

Last edited by icsamerica; 09-21-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I'd vote for Andrew and is kit and manual plus mentoring all along the
way.

I"m not sure that the other guys offer an LS "kit".

The objectives of looking like it belongs and performing at optimum are
within reach.

As you see, not cheap, though !!!

Mine is an LT1 swap with another kit. I now describe my car as having English elegance, an Italian flare and American reliable power, lots of each...

Carl

Old 09-21-2016, 12:12 PM

Spoke with Andrew and I am sold. I am going with Jaguar Specialties. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2016, 01:17 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats! Nice thing about Andrew is he is very responsive, both by phone and email.

Are you going to install the 6L80E? If so, I'm jealous. And you got a great motor with 21k miles, and a good price too. Glad you went with "camarohawk" - they seem to know what they're doing.

You sure decided a lot more quickly than I did. Please please keep us up to date on the progress.

Padre

The following users liked this post:
Lucielle (10-22-2022)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Padre
Congrats! Nice thing about Andrew is he is very responsive, both by phone and email.

Are you going to install the 6L80E? If so, I'm jealous. And you got a great motor with 21k miles, and a good price too. Glad you went with "camarohawk" - they seem to know what they're doing.

You sure decided a lot more quickly than I did. Please please keep us up to date on the progress.

Padre
Thanks Padre! I am pretty excited about this now. I looked at literally hundreds of engines on eBay before I picked that one. Your advice for a pullout complete LS3/L99 engine with low miles was the deciding factor. I have spoken with Steve from Hawk (camarohawk), and he was very helpful. They are waiting to pull the engine until my mechanic can talk to them.

Yes I am going to install the 6L80E. When I spoke to Andrew he told me this is the first time he is selling a kit to someone using one. He warned there might be a few bumps in the road. I will keep you apprised. He also mentioned he knows the guys from camarohawk and they sell great engines.

I will definitely start a thread a thread with my conversion project and post pictures as often as I can. Unfortunately, since a shop is doing the work, it will be bursty, and I will probably miss some major steps.

Jonathan-W (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rsmithline
Thanks Padre! I am pretty excited about this now. I looked at literally hundreds of engines on eBay before I picked that one. Your advice for a pullout complete LS3/L99 engine with low miles was the deciding factor. I have spoken with Steve from Hawk (camarohawk), and he was very helpful. They are waiting to pull the engine until my mechanic can talk to them.

Yes I am going to install the 6L80E. When I spoke to Andrew he told me this is the first time he is selling a kit to someone using one. He warned there might be a few bumps in the road. I will keep you apprised. He also mentioned he knows the guys from camarohawk and they sell great engines.

I will definitely start a thread a thread with my conversion project and post pictures as often as I can. Unfortunately, since a shop is doing the work, it will be bursty, and I will probably miss some major steps.
As for bumps, I foresee a hammer to the tranny tunnel , but aside from that, Andrew has the swap pretty much ironed out.

You're going to have a *beautiful* machine when you're done. I'm already jealous.

Padre

Jonathan-W (09-28-2016)