XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Jaguar xjs windshield wiper problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jaguar xjs windshield wiper problems

I am down to the last few issues to get my 1991 Jaguar XJS 5.3 V-12 back on the road. I checked all the main fuse it needed replacement and cleaning. Didn't help the problem.
I took out the old windshield wiper motor to find it was not the one that came with this car. In fact the whole wiper motor is gone, and the washer reservoir and pump are missing too.

I purchased a used motor and have bench tested it, works fine. When I connect to the 8 pronged connector I get nothing.

Is the wiring different from year to year?

Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by HypnoGuru
I am down to the last few issues to get my 1991 Jaguar XJS 5.3 V-12 back on the road. I checked all the main fuse it needed replacement and cleaning. Didn't help the problem.
I took out the old windshield wiper motor to find it was not the one that came with this car. In fact the whole wiper motor is gone, and the washer reservoir and pump are missing too.

I purchased a used motor and have bench tested it, works fine. When I connect to the 8 pronged connector I get nothing.

Is the wiring different from year to year?
Simple answer is yes. Were sold a second hand one that blew a couple of fuses. I ended up stripping and cleaning the original Which you can't do.
Unless you can cross reference the wiring you will need one specifically for you vin range. They might even change during certain years.

Start with the jaguar part number by getting it from their site.

http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk

The following users liked this post:
HypnoGuru (09-11-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by melhookv12
Simple answer is yes. Were sold a second hand one that blew a couple of fuses. I ended up stripping and cleaning the original Which you can't do.
Unless you can cross reference the wiring you will need one specifically for you vin range. They might even change during certain years.

Start with the jaguar part number by getting it from their site.

Find Jaguar Heritage Parts Online | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK
I can not seem to find one that matches with my vin. (1991 XJS Classic Collection Vin# 176990)

I will have to figure out how to cross reference the wiring. Anyone else ever have to deal with this issue?

Old 09-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

You need Electrolux wiper setup. Not sure what country you are in. RHD is #DAC6982 and LHD is #DAC6981 your reservoir and pump should be in front of R/H front wheel behind the headlight, is that where you are looking?
Prices l just saw are scary so l would suggest Ebay or similar.

HypnoGuru (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Washer is behind RH headlight, if you open the bonnet you should see the fill neck with a yellow cap. The washer bottle will have 2 pumps on it one for windscreen and another for headlights, they both look the same and should be interchangeable.

The XJS pre-facelift has 3 different wiper setups (in Australia at least), the earlier is cable operated and later is linkage. If you look at pictures of XJS the wipers park on both sides depending on the model. I suspect Jaguar used parts bin engineering.

There is an article on the web where someone has modified their wipers using a Ford wiper motor, if you google XJS wiper modification it should pop up.

HypnoGuru (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 AM

Thank you warrjon and baxtor. The PO had removed the washer bottle and pump from under the right wheel well, he did leave the filler tube. He also replaced the electrolux windshield wiper motor with an old broken one. In fact when I opened the motor housing to see I it could be repaired, the motor was gone.

Has anyone had any luck re-wiring or retrofitting a Lucus motor assembly for a 1991 XJS?

This is what I found when I opened up the motor housing to see If it could be rebuild the motor.

Last edited by HypnoGuru; 09-11-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

The electrolux system with the 4 lever actuation system is miles better than the Lucas one with the wheelboxes and Lucas motor that my car has. You can easily buy the entire thing as removed from a car and just put it straight in. It will work properly with your electrics too, which a Lucas one will not (I think you lose the intermittent wipe, and possibly other functions too).

I think that from your pic the PO has shoved in a Lucas system that is incorrect for your model, even if the thing had a motor!

Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
HypnoGuru (09-12-2015), Lucielle (09-03-2021)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
The electrolux system with the 4 lever actuation system is miles better than the Lucas one with the wheelboxes and Lucas motor that my car has. You can easily buy the entire thing as removed from a car and just put it straight in. It will work properly with your electrics too, which a Lucas one will not (I think you lose the intermittent wipe, and possibly other functions too).

I think that from your pic the PO has shoved in a Lucas system that is incorrect for your model, even if the thing had a motor!

Greg
Thanks Greg, I will start my search for an electorlux. guess I'll
hold on to the Lucus one as a back up for my 1988 XJS.

Lucielle (09-03-2021)
Old 02-09-2016, 06:58 PM

Today I finally got the last of my windshield wiper issues sorted out, well sort of. I found a deal on an Electrolux system, with a little negotiating it is in place and working fine. Still looking for an under the fender reservoir, so I jimmy rigged one from an 88 xjs and it works for now. A little awkward to fill, but hey, at least it works and you can’t see it anyway.

Greg in France, you are right on as usual the electrolux system with the 4 lever actuation system is much better.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pulled the wiper motor apart on my 89 XJS..... this looks more like it came off the sunken Titanic, I mean seriously did they have a water injection system into the electrical parts on these cars? LOL **Anybody have a wiper assembly for XJS they want to sell** ???

The following 2 users liked this post by WeaverJ:
Lucielle (09-03-2021), v1rok (10-25-2018)
Old 03-27-2016, 10:59 AM

I really lucked out, I purchased on Ebay, but it was the wrong one for my 1991 XJS, the guy I purchased it from searched and found me the right one, and exchanged the one I paid for, for the correct Electrolux model I needed for my car. His eBay name is (socalbrit5). Don't know if he still has the old one I sent back.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:53 AM
Received 194 Likes on 123 Posts

Wrong thread, oops...

Last edited by 8bit; 10-23-2018 at 04:57 PM.