XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Just Bought an XJS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leo newbiggin
there is a "wheeler dealers" xjs 3.6 auto programme where edd china changes the gearbox mount. that may be helpful.
It appears that video was removed from youtube. I'd love to see it.

My problem is while mechanically inclined, I don't have a lift and am hesitant to tackle this myself. And the stories of the "deadly transmission mount" don't help any.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Roamer
The future of Western Civilization is resting on my transmission mount!!! Who knew???

Great post!!!
Some say over-engineered transmission mount. But when it's holding up your way of life, you design in that extra gusset.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 03:40 PM

In the interest of saving mankind, I've decided to work on the transmission mount. In the attached diagram (assuming this is the correct diagram), what would you all recommend replacing?

The foam piece for sure. What about springs? A couple guys mentioned a cotton reel. I have never seen that referenced. Seems to me most of these parts aren't really wear items.

Attached Thumbnails Just Bought an XJS!!!-image1.jpg  
Old 03-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I'll use this illustration as it has part numbers

Gearbox Mounting-4.0 Litre-Automatic - Parts For XJS from (V)179737 to (V)226645 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

I replace the #7 foam insulator and the #11 and #3 rubber spring cushions

In other XJS variants the #7 has the appearance of a cotton real.

The #7 is what limits the up-down travel

Springs? That's iffy. They're probably OK but I have a vague memory of updated part numbers which don't get quite so bouncy-bouncy with age. I might be thinking of the 4.0 sedans, though. Let's wait for others to chime in.

As for replacement, it isn't so bad. You just need to make sure to support the engine and trans to take the weight off the springs before removing the mounting pan....or the whole Kit and Kaboodle will come smashing down with a fair bit of force.

Cheers
DD

Roamer (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

This might help:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/facelift-transmission-mount-replaced-168107/

Roamer (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Thanks Doug and Vee. I think I have read every discussion I can find on the mount. My biggest fear of doing this is creating some issue that isn't there now.

As I have said besides the movement in the video I posted there aren't any symptoms, at least not yet.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Just make sure you have a jack to support the mount assembly when taking it down and putting it up, and are ready with the following:

This is more important. In order to re-assemble the transmission mount parts and bolt it back together for re-installation, you will need at least two M8-1.25 bolts at least 1-1/2" (or 40mm) long. You'll also need a clamp. That will hold the assembly tight enough so you can install the original bolts back in. You'll assemble it with the long bolts, locking everything in place, and then clamp it together even tighter so you can work that third (original) bolt in. Then replace the remaining long bolts with the shorter bolts. You have to align three parts with holes to make this work. If you know a better way, I'd love to hear it.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
If you know a better way, I'd love to hear it.
I don't know exactly the issue this plan is addressing but when I did mine I didn't use any additional bolts in the process. Just jacked it back up in place and reassembled everything.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
I'll use this illustration as it has part numbers

Gearbox Mounting-4.0 Litre-Automatic - Parts For XJS from (V)179737 to (V)226645 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

I replace the #7 foam insulator and the #11 and #3 rubber spring cushions

In other XJS variants the #7 has the appearance of a cotton real.

The #7 is what limits the up-down travel

Springs? That's iffy. They're probably OK but I have a vague memory of updated part numbers which don't get quite so bouncy-bouncy with age. I might be thinking of the 4.0 sedans, though. Let's wait for others to chime in.

As for replacement, it isn't so bad. You just need to make sure to support the engine and trans to take the weight off the springs before removing the mounting pan....or the whole Kit and Kaboodle will come smashing down with a fair bit of force.

Cheers
DD
Looking at that diagram, I'm not quite clear what actually secures the transmission to the mount. It must be the #9 adapter pin. Does it unscrew from the bottom?

Also looking at the up/down movement in the video I posted you think the #7 foam buffer is the culprit? Speaking of which SNG Barrett has two variations of the buffer (both MHG7566AA). One is a beige color and $38 and the other is black and $19. I assume the black one is an aftermarket part.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 264 Likes on 178 Posts

Here my thread on the subject on fixing the mount on a 1992 XJ40

https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=997653

It's actually not that hard to fix

Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JigJag
I don't know exactly the issue this plan is addressing but when I did mine I didn't use any additional bolts in the process. Just jacked it back up in place and reassembled everything.
I needed something to help compress the spring so I could bolt the thing back together. Since it has 3 screws forcing the spring into compression, it was hard to hold two ends down while ratcheting in the first of three bolts.

I did not attempt to reassemble this thing onto the car from underneath the car. Not sure that was plausible.

Using longer bolts makes it easy, but the longer bolts won't fit back in the car, so they have to be replaced with the correct, smaller sized bolts.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

My apologies. I missed the engine type you're dealing with.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by JigJag
My apologies. I missed the engine type you're dealing with.
So on my '95 4.0 would I need to follow Vee's advice regarding compressing the mount to assemble it?

I'm still not clear on how the mount connects to the transmission.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:24 AM
Default XJS Update

Greetings gentleman!

I have now put around 800 miles on my '95 XJS (70,000 miles). She runs extremely well and is very smooth. However last week the check engine light came on. She is running fine; no difference at all. Does anyone know if AutoZone can read the codes on this car? Or can I try resetting it by disconnecting the battery? What about radio codes?

Also, I have noticed the bulb idiot light comes on when I depress the brake pedal. All the lights seem to be working.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:04 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

You can go to any one of the auto parts chains to have them give you the code and fault. Normally the fault is not a big deal. But that is the first thing to do. I do not know what you mean by idiot light when applying the brake. Are you referring to the brake light? I had some issues with the brake light on my 95 about 10 years ago. Also you may want to tell them that your car is a 96 or they may tell you that their reader cannot read a 95. Go and ask and you find out this to still be a fact.

LeRoy

Old 05-07-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by xjsparts
You can go to any one of the auto parts chains to have them give you the code and fault. Normally the fault is not a big deal. But that is the first thing to do. I do not know what you mean by idiot light when applying the brake. Are you referring to the brake light? I had some issues with the brake light on my 95 about 10 years ago. Also you may want to tell them that your car is a 96 or they may tell you that their reader cannot read a 95. Go and ask and you find out this to still be a fact.

LeRoy
By bulb idiot light I was referring to the warning light to the right of the check engine light. It looks like a bulb with an X through it. It comes on when I depress the brake pedal.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I am most sure that you have a bulb out in one of the brake or tail lights I am not certain until I double check my manual. By the way, if you have an owners manual, it explains what each light indicates. However there is a light with an X that was the gearbox/transmission. Mine came on in 2004 when I had 19,000 mi on the car and had just bought it. The Jaguar dealership in Hilton Head who serviced the car told me my computer was bad at a bill of $1100 they almost had me but that did not solve the problem. Turns out I found out the problem which cost $35.00 to fix. Can you guess why I service my own car now? I am restoring my 95 so I have not driven it for a few years as I restoring all suspension, hoses paint, interior and top. I have only owned an driven classic cars, as well as daily drivers. Out of the Rolls, Mercedes and Jaguar cars I had, I mostly drove my 95 XJS which was the newest car of 9 and it is my favorite. You will really enjoy long trips as well as the car has a very smooth ride. Just prepare for many conversations with people at rest areas and fuel stops. I have encountered some wonderful human beings on the road.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by xjsparts
I am most sure that you have a bulb out in one of the brake or tail lights I am not certain until I double check my manual. By the way, if you have an owners manual, it explains what each light indicates. However there is a light with an X that was the gearbox/transmission. Mine came on in 2004 when I had 19,000 mi on the car and had just bought it. The Jaguar dealership in Hilton Head who serviced the car told me my computer was bad at a bill of $1100 they almost had me but that did not solve the problem. Turns out I found out the problem which cost $35.00 to fix. Can you guess why I service my own car now? I am restoring my 95 so I have not driven it for a few years as I restoring all suspension, hoses paint, interior and top. I have only owned an driven classic cars, as well as daily drivers. Out of the Rolls, Mercedes and Jaguar cars I had, I mostly drove my 95 XJS which was the newest car of 9 and it is my favorite. You will really enjoy long trips as well as the car has a very smooth ride. Just prepare for many conversations with people at rest areas and fuel stops. I have encountered some wonderful human beings on the road.
I assumed I had a brake or tail light out but everything is working. I have all the manuals so I'll do some reading tonight.

In the short time I have owned the XJS I've had many comments and questions about it. In the rural area where I live it's somewhat of a curiosity.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Default My First Problem!

I've put 1000 trouble free miles on my XJS and today it would not crank. All the dash lights came on but she wouldn't turn over. I put a battery charger on for a couple hours but no luck. 15 minutes later I try it again and she starts normally. I started it several more times and everything is back to normal.

This is quite frustrating because now my trust level in the car is diminished!!! Any ideas what could have caused it not to crank??

Old 06-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Received 303 Likes on 200 Posts

Probably the neutral safety switch. Give the shifter a wiggle next time it happens to prove the theory.