XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Looking at a 1995 XJS Convertible

Old 01-26-2016, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts
Default Looking at a 1995 XJS Convertible

I thought I post here, and hopefully get some reply from the experts.

First of all, after mostly waiting and sometimes checking cars (supply is very limited here), I bought a 1998 x308 Vanden Plas some 2 years ago.
Before buying, spent a loooong time reading forums on all con's and pro's of owning such semi-classic.
Have slowly worked my way through all issues related to this design, and should say the car is close to new-state, some things even far better then new.

But, as usual I guess, still keep my eyes open on what is available on the market, and ran into a 4L 1995 XJS Convertible, probably less then 5 still on the road here.
I presume the car was imported from the US at some point long time ago.

I have not seen the car yet, but tried to dig as much as possible info from the pictures, which gives me the idea the car is in a decent, but not perfect state.

I understand this year got OBD2, so I will pull codes before and after a testride.

I also understand the typical issues of the car, and I am technical inclined enough to prevent me from disasters, or so I hope.

I was just wondering if there are some specific cases to look out for, which I might have overlooked at the forum?

Well, that's about it for the moment, appreciate any comment, thanks in advance.

Eric

Last edited by ericjansen; 01-26-2016 at 02:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-27-2016, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, almost 300 viewers and no takers?
Are these cars really so good?
Going to have a look tomorrow.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:48 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

I don't believe there's anything new to mention. You mentioned that you checked out the forum so you already know to check:

1. Steady idle at around 600rpm when warm
2. A/C working
3. No rust-check wheel wells
4. Check under front spoiler to make sure air dam is there
5. Condition of tail lights- they are expensive if available
6. Quarter glass windows go up and down with top

Everything else can be easily fixed.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot, added 4 and 5 to the list.
Delayed one day, will be friday.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Obviously bring an OBD2 reader. You never know what that thing will find.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Well??

Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Well??
Not yet, not yet ...
Life got in the way again, but should be Monday for sure.
An other weekend to read forums in preparation ....

Old 01-29-2016, 10:06 PM
Received 404 Likes on 219 Posts

I have two '95 XJS convertibles. Very good cars with all the improvements made over the years and of course getting Fords money was what Jag really needed to make this happen.

The most important thing is to look over all aspects of the car in person paying attention to paint, top, interior, trim, rear lights etc. If the car shows very well then I would drive and you will know quickly if this car has been taken care of.

From the picture you posted appears to be very well kept but you will know from looking at in person if this is accurate. The AJ16 is a great engine so check oil and underside of cap. The transmission cooler lines can leak where the metal part of the lines are fitted to the rubber part of the line so check those pressure fittings for wetness.

The AC can leak from the normal spots but can also leak in the dash from the evaporator so make sure the ac is working as it should.

How many miles on this car ?

As a side note the chrome wheels on the '95 you are looking at are a factory upgraded wheel and are getting harder to find in good condition. Check for peeling chrome on the wheels but if the wheels are very clean this adds at least a thousand or more in value to the car IMO.

The '95 is a very well made car. IMO the '95 and '96 will be highly sought after in the future because the AJ16 was only available for these two years in the XJS and not that many produced. Great blend of power, reliability and style so hope this one checks out well. Let me know if you have anymore questions on this car.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member

We are hit by the most terrible winter weather, which is torrential rain in this part of the world, and the forecast calls for more from tomorrow.
Although it should be great weather to close a deal on a convertible, it probably is too bad to perform a thorough inspection.
Still would like to try asap, the weeks before Chinese New Year are good, holding some cash talks more then ever ...

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'
I have two '95 XJS convertibles.
Thank you very much for your long reply, your thoughts and considerations are more or less confirming my own conclusions.
Always good to see this from someone who already has one (or two ...).

I have a long check list which originated from the X308 forum, and added the transmission hoses remark to it just now.

I am not expecting a perfect car, that should be too much for this island.
Besides, this kind of cars are very scars, and almost impossible to import, so my options are limited to what we still have on the road.

However, I hope to find a car where the basics are OK, such as paint / clear coat, engine, AC system, etc.
I don't mind to have things replaced or repaired, is actually one of the reasons to consider a 3rd car, just want to be sure on preventing the money pit such cars can easily become.

I just turned down a 1989 V12 Coupe for those reasons, and it took me 2 years before I found my rather perfect x308 Vanden Plas, one of the very few here.

I did not get a clear answer on the mileage yet.

Although not mentioned, I figured out the car is a Celebration Model, although it seems a bit vague what such model exactly is.
It has the pipping, wood wheel, body colored grill, factory chrome wheels, etc. as far as I can see from the pictures.

I also see several things which indicate the love this car has missed.

Name:  6844a024-1834-4da4-8da9-f450b19f6b01.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  c56c6129-6bfb-4879-9df0-442c5e5e62a6.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  111.4 KB

Name:  c3b826f3-47a5-41f9-adc4-d7d4ba3b0bf2.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  8f0de9f7-f7e2-4780-bbf1-320dd59475f7.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  3ec1489a-4609-4d8d-8acc-289a3d0904fa.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  05d36937-5fd1-4a59-ac29-dfcff0118fa2.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  7e8c9b1e-62fc-4ac9-a7ee-72d6ab347638.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  DSC00031.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  96.6 KB

Old 01-30-2016, 03:29 AM

Yes that is the celebration or '96 XJS. Jaguar started the '96 XJS around May of '95 so that is why it may be listed as a '95. You can tell by the different colored piping on the seats and of course the half wood steering wheel.

Another add on this car is the rear spoiler which is a rare factory option for the non V12 XJS. The pictures show a well kept car so hope it shows that way in person.

I would bet there are only a few ( if that ) '95 or '96 XJS' in your country. I live in Idaho and I have only seen a few here over the years but I had to go to California to find mine.

Looking forward to hearing more about your impressions of this car when you are able to look at it in person. Pictures show a nice example but checking it out in person will let you know for sure.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

ericjansen,

Don't get too confused by the American way of describing the year of cars. They use a US Model Year designation which isn't necessarily consistent with when the cars were made, and is often different to the MY designation that Jaguar gave to all their other cars worldwide.

Also don't get too worried by the "Celebration" name either. ALL XJSs from VIN 221855 are known as Celebration models. It's not a limited edition or separate mdel.

So a 1995 car if built from May onwards is a Celebration XJS. The only real differences at that point are Wood & Leather wheel, wooden gearknob, embossed headrests, sapwood veneer and different wheels.

Good luck with your choice

Paul

Old 01-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ptjs1
ericjansen,

Don't get too confused by the American way of describing the year of cars. They use a US Model Year designation which isn't necessarily consistent with when the cars were made, and is often different to the MY designation that Jaguar gave to all their other cars worldwide.

Also don't get too worried by the "Celebration" name either. ALL XJSs from VIN 221855 are known as Celebration models. It's not a limited edition or separate mdel.

So a 1995 car if built from May onwards is a Celebration XJS. The only real differences at that point are Wood & Leather wheel, wooden gearknob, embossed headrests, sapwood veneer and different wheels.

Good luck with your choice

Paul
Yes, you are correct pointing out how we here in America designate the year of a car compared to other countries is not always the same. I have been taught to look at production dates to order parts and to determine year of car.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, aware of that, but thx for the heads-up.
Today was absolutely stunning weather, but a Sunday, shop closed.
It is getting grey though, and the forecast for the next days is horrendous, perhaps the Gods are telling me something .

Old 01-31-2016, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Default Some more questions

In the meantime some more questions came up:

1. Where are the hydraulics for the roof located, and is there anything to check on leaking?

2. I see on the pictures a significant difference in wood color between the speedo-housing and the rest. What should be the original color?

3. What should be the coolant color for these cars (lots of difficulties for this on the X308 forum due to Jaguar changing several times in those years, clogging as a result).

Raining cats and dogs right now, but weather seems to change to showers from tonight, perhaps a Tuesday visit ...

E.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Default Over and out ...

Well, the story got a very unfortunate turn.
While confirming the appointment for tomorrow with the actual owner / seller, and asking a shipload of questions, it became obvious the car does not have a Taiwanese license.
It was imported in 2013 from the USA, and only driven around several times on a temporary license.

Should be no problem in most other countries, but here in Taiwan, every newly imported 2nd hand car or motorbike needs to fulfill the present emission standards.

So now, to the technicians of you (and I know I am most likely dreaming), should there be any realistic way to adjust motor management and exhaust system temporarily to fulfill these higher regulations for the duration of the testing (afterwards no one cares any more).

We did so on a 2002 Ducati 998, but I guess a 4 liter L6 is a whole other ballgame ...

What a pity ...

Old 01-31-2016, 11:04 PM

I can tell you when I take my '95's in for smog testing they always test way below the allowed limits. If I understand what you are saying you will need to get the car smog tested to get it licensed. I would check it out and if it is the car you want I would tell the owner that you will purchase if it passes the needed stuff to get it licensed.

I will answer your questions in case it works out to check out the car further.

1. Where are the hydraulics for the roof located, and is there anything to check on leaking?

The hydraulics for the roof are located in the trunk in the upper passenger side area. Very likely you may be low on fluid from a ram leaking or a fitting or have a bad relay causing this issue.

2. I see on the pictures a significant difference in wood color between the speedo-housing and the rest. What should be the original color?

Speedo housing wood look is actually not wood like what is found in the rest of the interior but rather a plastic made to look like wood. This is why it does not match the rest of the interior wood.

3. What should be the coolant color for these cars (lots of difficulties for this on the X308 forum due to Jaguar changing several times in those years, clogging as a result).

coolant color should be green.

The following 2 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
ericjansen (02-01-2016), Forcedair1 (02-02-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I guess will need to do some soul scratching in the time to come.

They sell the car 'as is', and don't care on the license.
Not the first time I encounter something like this in Asia, perhaps the result of too much money and not enough gasoline in their vains ...

Anyway, this case will go far over my head language-wise.
I will need to carefully check this with my lovely wife (which luckily supports most of my crazy adventures), as she will need to do quite a bit of work of collecting info and checking.

The first thing I will do is to check on the exact Taiwanese emission regulations applicable (I think Euro 4 till next year, but not sure).
After I know, I / we / the forum nuts can give their opinion if there is anything to pursue, or if I better stop dreaming.
A separate thread might help then.

I still might pay a visit to the car after Chinese New Year.
Hope by that time the sun is out, and perhaps me as crazy foreigner showing up in my well kept Vanden Plas helps a change in attitude.

In the meantime, this afternoon I ran into a guy who know a guy who knows a guy who has a 1989 XJS Convertible V12 in Red / Cream WITH a license ...
This should torpedo my carefully drafted monthly costs planning of having a third car and keeping the other 2, but well, lets see.

Name:  09d6da98-7cd5-482a-bc7d-1297a3c90ddc.jpeg
Views: 340
Size:  20.3 KB

I will answer your questions in case it works out to check out the car further.
Thank you (again) very much for your answers, we will see if I still need them.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Default Emission Requirements

I checked, and for the year 2016 any car up for testing will need to pass testing according the Euro 4 emission standards:

CO: 1
THC: 0.10
NMHC: ---
NOx: 0.08
HC+NOx: ---
PM: ---
P [#/km]: ---

Before I will throw it into the group by means of a separate thread, any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks as usual,

E.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Speedo housing wood look is actually not wood like what is found in the rest of the interior but rather a plastic made to look like wood. This is why it does not match the rest of the interior wood.
Always wondered why the wood shade looked different inside the instrument cluster, kind of a more pale brown with no reddish hue when compared to the rest of the dash, especially the center console and ski slope. Learned something new today. Thanks for the info.

I have this special stain paste that's kind of a reddish/brown that I've successfully used before on non-real wood laminated furniture. The intensity can be easily controlled with how much you apply and it places a beautiful, subtle reddish hue, which is exactly what these instrument clusters need. The only thing is that, I wonder if this product will work on the non-porous plastic surface the way it has worked on non-wood lamination that appears to have some porosity, which is important for the product adherence and lasting. I've never had my instrument cluster out, but from what I've heard, it's not that big a deal.

On the list...

Cheers,

Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Always wondered why the wood shade looked different inside the instrument cluster, kind of a more pale brown with no reddish hue when compared to the rest of the dash, especially the center console and ski slope. Learned something new today. Thanks for the info.

I have this special stain paste that's kind of a reddish/brown that I've successfully used before on non-real wood laminated furniture. The intensity can be easily controlled with how much you apply and it places a beautiful, subtle reddish hue, which is exactly what these instrument clusters need. The only thing is that, I wonder if this product will work on the non-porous plastic surface the way it has worked on non-wood lamination that appears to have some porosity, which is important for the product adherence and lasting. I've never had my instrument cluster out, but from what I've heard, it's not that big a deal.

On the list...

Cheers,
Reinaldo,

I would highly recommend getting a used cluster and trying it out on that first. If you are happy with the result then you can decide if it is worth doing on your cluster or just switch out the used one and keep your original stock.

From my experience putting a stain paste product on the plastic cluster finish will most likely not give you the result you are hoping for so if you try it first on a used cluster no problem if it does not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking at a 1995 XJS Convertible