XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

LS3 Conversion Diary

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Amazing, I have never seen that or heard of that before. Maybe an addition for catalytic exhaust cars? Anyone any idea?
Greg
Mine is a catfree model. I just ordered both from SNG - maybe I got the last pair!?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:17 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey RSmith,
I'm up in West Palm working on an 88 that sat for some years. Considered an LS swap for awhile but looking at your mounting costs, I can't justify doing it to a running car. I also own an 89 that caught fire and was supposed to be the swap candidate. It's future is still undecided. I'm down south on Friday and would love to swing by and check out your masterpiece if you're up for it
Kevin

Old 10-12-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by kmarajh
Hey RSmith,
I'm up in West Palm working on an 88 that sat for some years. Considered an LS swap for awhile but looking at your mounting costs, I can't justify doing it to a running car. I also own an 89 that caught fire and was supposed to be the swap candidate. It's future is still undecided. I'm down south on Friday and would love to swing by and check out your masterpiece if you're up for it
Kevin
Absolutely! Come on down.

The Jag is at Texaco in Hallandale.

Address: 126 N Federal Hwy, Hallandale Beach, FL 33009

Mechanics name is Ronnie.

If you are there Friday afternoon or Saturday, I can come over and meet you there. But feel free to stop by anytime without me.

BTW, does anyone know why I can edit this post but cannot edit some of my earlier posts?

Last edited by rsmithline; 10-12-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:45 PM

Since I have to reprogram the trip computer on my car after the conversion anyway, I figured why not update to the newer version. It simply looks far better.

I had a few questions though...

Has anyone done a trip computer retrofit? Will it fit the same harness? Is it even possible?

Also, since it is smaller and more centered in the space, is there a different bracket behind it that I will need?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:46 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

BTW, does anyone know why I can edit this post but cannot edit some of my earlier posts?

Probably because you where a new member.

The following users liked this post:
rsmithline (10-14-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by rsmithline
Has anyone done a trip computer retrofit? Will it fit the same harness? Is it even possible?
Trip computer usually count pulses, both from road speed sensors and injector pulse from the ECU.

From there it can calculate distance and fuel used.

As far as I can see from the JDHT site speed sensing is the same for all late cars with the diff mounted speed sensor. I could only find the diff rear cover and its the same part number for late prefacelift all the way to the 6.0L.

So going by this the late trip computer should be plug and play with any XJS with DIFF mounted speed sensor. Plugs MAY be different but that would only mean changing the connectors.

rsmithline (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 08:03 PM

Thanks Warren!

Do you know if is there a different bracket behind the trim that I will need?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by rsmithline
Thanks Warren!

Do you know if is there a different bracket behind the trim that I will need?
I don't know about the facelift unit, but pre facelift the trip computer just pushes in with no attachment to brackets

Old 10-14-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by baxtor
I don't know about the facelift unit, but pre facelift the trip computer just pushes in with no attachment to brackets
Yes, I have pulled a pre-facelift one before and it just slides right in. But the facelift one is smaller and rides a bit higher in that space, so I thought that one might need a bracket.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

The welder was in today. He is custom cutting some additional supports for my left front subframe to be safe. They will go in tomorrow.

He also modified the oil pan for me. Despite the $300 oil pan being a close fit, it still will not go in without modification. No choice really though. If you want an LS3, there are simply no stock oil pans you can use. There goes another $200 for that mod though.

On the upside, Andrew provided extremely detailed instructions on what to do. There was a full page of instructions with drawings and measurements. If I knew how to weld I could have done it myself with those instructions.

I will post some pictures of the new supports after they are welded in tomorrow.

Running total $13,142.

Flint Ironstag (10-14-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 06:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what mods needed to be done to the oil pan? Is this the F car oil pan you're using?

Too late now but...as an aside and maybe future reference, there are several aftermarket LS oil pans available specifically for LS swaps. These pans offer more clearance forward of the sump.
The ones I'm thinking of are cast pans, just like the originals - not fabricated sheet metal jobs. Holley makes one, GM Performance parts offers one and there may be others.

Maybe one of those would work in this situation?

https://www.holley.com/products/acce...ns/parts/302-1

https://www.mastmotorsports.com/prod...iant=928020171

Chevrolet Performance LS Swap Oil Pan Kits | JEGS High Performance

rsmithline (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default i did a 305 with a 700r4 hydraulic kick down

Old 10-16-2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Greencar89
Just out of curiosity, what mods needed to be done to the oil pan? Is this the F car oil pan you're using?

Too late now but...as an aside and maybe future reference, there are several aftermarket LS oil pans available specifically for LS swaps. These pans offer more clearance forward of the sump.
The ones I'm thinking of are cast pans, just like the originals - not fabricated sheet metal jobs. Holley makes one, GM Performance parts offers one and there may be others.

Those look exactly like mine after the modification and probably would have worked. I wish I had known, but I was told there were no options.

Thank for that though, and good future reference for others considering the swap.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:58 AM

sirreginald, out of curiosity, do you know how much your entire conversion cost? Did you do the work yourself?

Old 10-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

He won't be answering, as he has been banned... Due to quite a lot of 'V8-spamming' in nearly every thread here...

Old 10-16-2016, 10:51 AM

By the way, as part of this project I am re-dying my seats. Since they will already be out of the car, and lumbar/heated seat buttons are so cheap on ebay, I was wondering if that functionality could be retrofitted.

I would be using these parts:

Lumbar Support
Heated Seats

Is that possible?

Old 10-16-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Banned???

Wowee, I'll have to think about that????

Breakfast awaits. But, cooked by me????

Ham, potatoes and eggs !!!

Carl

ronbros (10-18-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 11:19 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
He won't be answering, as he has been banned... Due to quite a lot of 'V8-spamming' in nearly every thread here...
This is a V8 thread so no spamming here. If you don't like the V8 threads then don't read them. Are you reading the V8 threads just to complain about them? If so STOP

Old 10-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BC XJS
This is a V8 thread so no spamming here. If you don't like the V8 threads then don't read them. Are you reading the V8 threads just to complain about them? If so STOP
Dunno what your problem is, but READ THAT THREAD and you'll understand. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH V8 THREADS. This isn't spam. I am highly interested.

V8 spam refers to the tw@ named SirReginald spamming all V12 threads with 'do a V8 conversion'. Jez, I would have thought people can read...

But flag me I don't like V8s... As rsmithline asked a question to SirReginald and as SR can't answer due to spamming OTHER threads regarding V12 issues with stupid replies regarding V8 conversions, I am now a V8 hater? Or a Vhater? Haha... Sorry...

Old 10-17-2016, 12:21 AM
Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Greencar89

I bought the Mast for my conversion. When I do a test fit, I'll report how well it works.

Padre

Last edited by Padre; 10-17-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Received 362 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Comments on LS Oil Pans

I just wanted to pass along some notes on the LS-Jag oil pan discussion here. When we first did the R&D work for the Jag-LS conversion we tried nearly every pan that was out there for fit. Remember, this was back in 2008 and there were no aftermarket pans that weren't fabricated steel (welded, and required a remote oil filter mount), etc.,. This is before even the GM muscle car pan kit was released (which is actually the Hummer Alpha pan and hangs way too low for us anyway). Back then we settled on a particular GM-based pan and made the modest mods necessary to it to work in the Jag chassis. The main objective of going this way was to maximize ground clearance- this pan, used with our LS mounts, does not hang any lower than the front crossmember or the transmission bellhousing. Now, 8 years later, some other options to consider are available. We have not tried the Holley pan but I have one customer who was going to give it a go- we have not heard back from him on that. The Holley pan is actually almost 1" llower than the pan we use so in our applications, the sump would be the lowest point under the car, something a Jag owner would have to decide is ok or not. The Mast pan is similar to the Holley pan but also lower in back than our preferred unit (by about 3/4") so it would also be the lowest point on the car. From a profile standpoint it looks (although it is not confirmed) like either of these will fit our chassis with the ground clearance thing my only concern.

For those doing our conversion now I will respectfully ask that we keep the details of exactly which GM pan our kit recommends for the Jag application, and the required mods, confidential. Those details are for customers only-please don't share that info with anyone.

I am really happy with the back/forth discussion going on here- it's informative and open- just enthusiasts sharing experiences, tips, etc.,. Good for the process.

Thanks

Andrew
Jaguar Specialties

Last edited by JaguarSpecialties; 10-17-2016 at 10:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JaguarSpecialties:
Greencar89 (10-18-2016), Greg in France (10-18-2016)

Quick Reply: LS3 Conversion Diary