XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Mechanical oil pressure guage

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Mechanical oil pressure guage

Hey there,

As I'm making a few lists and having thoughts about certain components of my V12, I was considering fitting a mechanical/analog oil pressure gauge.

The rear of the V12 has the oil feed pipes for the cam shafts - as known. These join in the middle, to where the oil pressure sensor is for the dash display. The same section has the oil pressure light (switch) and then a blanked off spot, where a screw insert is.

So, I assume this would probably be the best spot to connect the gauge for a more accurate read out... Or what do you think?

What kond of gauge would you use? I can't remember if I would be able to see a directly connected gauge with the engine in place or if I would need to extend it to a certain degree... I was thinking of using a totally classic round dial gauge...

Has anyone done this yet? If so, what did you use and how did you fit it? Happily with some reference pictures

I'm not trying to see every little bit of life in the engine, I just want to be sure, that the more so faulty cluster can be ignored if it says there is no pressure... As is rather common when warm and idling...

Cheers

Damien

Old 12-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
So, I assume this would probably be the best spot to connect the gauge for a more accurate read out... Or what do you think?

Sounds good to me

What kond of gauge would you use? I can't remember if I would be able to see a directly connected gauge with the engine in place or if I would need to extend it to a certain degree... I was thinking of using a totally classic round dial gauge...

To clarify, you're plan is to keep the mechanical gauge in the engine bay?

If so, the heat issue might be worth considering. I'm not sure how heat-tolerant a typical aftermarket gauge, intended for cabin use, would be.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Thats the idea. Leave it in the bay so I can, if my oil pressure drops to 0 can quickly flip the bonnet and check. I have seen some fitted for fuel pressure and boost, so there are some gauges out there...