XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New 82' XJS owner with some issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaxalone
Well, it has been a while since I have been on here but in the past few warm days, here and there, I have gotten back out to mess with Jaggy... Still rough oscillating idle.. Until i keep starting it and letting it idle for a loooong period of time and restarting it. then once it gets to the N on the temp gauge I can start it and it runs perfectly fine... I have checked all the sensors, wires and even checked the resistance on the pick-up coil in the dizzy. Everything is fine... Still at a loss, been a year of tinkering here and there...
Sounds to me like a sticking AAV. Grant has posted a howto on rebuilding it in another thread, do a search.

Lastly, the only way to fix this is using a methodical approach, checking/fixing one thing at a time.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Metaxalone (02-11-2017), orangeblossom (02-12-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have gone over that already in my past posts but... I'll take another look at it tomorrow as well. I have a couple spares of those as well.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-12-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Ok so I have re-checked all the crap I have done. I was just doing some reading earlier at work about rough idles and so on.. I read that a funky/bad alternator could cause rough idle and stalling. Just so happens that my lil lightning bolt alternator light on the dash is lit most of the time. The few times that it ran fine, it wasn't on but would only come on, now and again. Could this be what has been the problem this whole damn time since the begining?
haha I feel like we bought the same car... I bought it and am storing it till its warm and I can do stuff to it. Car smells like gas so something's wrong with the tank or lines, just to get it home had to buy a new caliper as the front left was blown. I'm pretty sure the rear brakes are seized or something and the alternator is bad(lights dimmed and car almost died) as I was storing it after a 20min drive. Friend behind be said there were sparks or fire drops from the rear center... so I am looking forward to this project! Ha

Old 02-12-2017, 04:10 AM

I don't think it's my alt. As for my light only comes on when it's idling low and rough. Meaning the engine isn't spinning fast enough to produce the amount of electromagnetics topower all that it needs to. On the time it gets to temp and runs fine, my light goes out. After lots of lost sleep and a over active mind tonight, I do believe I am going to take my AAA off and replace it with the spare that I have that I know works and moves via heat with the boiling water test.

As for the sparks from the rear, I can only tell you one thing... I "as a friend" would have driven up next to you of flashed my lights telling you to pull the hell over and take it back lol. The other thing though, I would get it on jack stands and look under it and see if it was just dragging something or where the sparks were coming from. They sit pretty low as it is. Could be easy or could be expensive. If it was the tranny or rear end, then it is toast if it was throwin sparks and or dripping fire and you would be able to see the hole. Seen it in people that hotrod cars that aren't hotrods. Hell go watch on youtube how a honda civic rips up a transmission and throws sparks and gears on the street with fire. lol

Old 02-12-2017, 02:34 PM

I don't think it's my alt. As for my light only comes on when it's idling low and rough. Meaning the engine isn't spinning fast enough to produce the amount of electromagnetics topower all that it needs to. On the time it gets to temp and runs fine, my light goes out. After lots of lost sleep and a over active mind tonight, I do believe I am going to take my AAA off and replace it with the spare that I have that I know works and moves via heat with the boiling water test.

As for the sparks from the rear, I can only tell you one thing... I "as a friend" would have driven up next to you of flashed my lights telling you to pull the hell over and take it back lol. The other thing though, I would get it on jack stands and look under it and see if it was just dragging something or where the sparks were coming from. They sit pretty low as it is. Could be easy or could be expensive. If it was the tranny or rear end, then it is toast if it was throwin sparks and or dripping fire and you would be able to see the hole. Seen it in people that hotrod cars that aren't hotrods. Hell go watch on youtube how a honda civic rips up a transmission and throws sparks and gears on the street with fire. lol
ha he called me and was like... there are sparks every so often... I was like well I'm almost home hopefully it makes it. I'm thinking in the spring I'll prob just take the IRS out that way I can check it all... brakes, diff etc. my guess is a seized caliper as the front was already blown. I'm thinking sparks off the brakes as opposed to the diff. There wasn't any noise from the rear so it's a mystery till spring.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think it's my alt. As for my light only comes on when it's idling low and rough. Meaning the engine isn't spinning fast enough to produce the amount of electromagnetics topower all that it needs to. On the time it gets to temp and runs fine, my light goes out. After lots of lost sleep and a over active mind tonight, I do believe I am going to take my AAA off and replace it with the spare that I have that I know works and moves via heat with the boiling water test.l
What is idle speed when the alt light is on. Alternators need to be excited before they begin charging. Voltage should be no less than 13.8V can go as high as 14.4v.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon
What is idle speed when the alt light is on. Alternators need to be excited before they begin charging. Voltage should be no less than 13.8V can go as high as 14.4v.
I was wondering if my exciter is off or corroded. Can you get to it without taking the alternator off?

Old 02-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

It's usually the current draw on the ALT light that excites the alternator. Check the charging voltage.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon
It's usually the current draw on the ALT light that excites the alternator. Check the charging voltage.
well the car died while driving at night after about 25mins so I'm thinking there's no charge. And the guy I bought it from had a jumper with readout and it wasn't charging. He said, might just be the exciter... wishful thinking.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:59 AM

Well, yesterday I went out and messed with the jag again. Was going to replace the AAV and after i removed the air box I realized I didn't have an extension for my ratchet and torx bit to remove the bolt/screw for the AAV. So I decided to do a little test.I sprayed some penetrating "oil" into the AAV while it was on the car. Put the air box back on. Held a standard flat screw driver to the AAV and wacked the screw driver with a hammer a few time to kind of jostle it so the piston in the AAV would loosen up at all. Did all of this without even starting the car at all. After doing this I started the car for the first time yesterday and it started just fine. Though it did caugh a lil and emit some smoke due to the penetrating oil but evened out and stopped smoking. Ran like a charm. Until I ran it out of gas lol. Hopefully I can keep working the AAV that's on it and only replace it if I really need to. Will see how it is today when I put more fuel in her and see how she does.

I used Liquid wrench penetrating oil

Old 02-19-2017, 11:07 AM

Ok so I lied. It didn't help. Must have been a coincidence, because it is back to acting the same way doesn't even want to idle even occilate

Old 02-19-2017, 01:54 PM

I just don't freaking get it...

Old 02-19-2017, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

I just don't freaking get it...
pull that AAV. Fix it. Put it back. Crank her up. That'll be one more thing that it isn't.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:36 PM

I'll change it next weekend with the one I know works. If it isn't that could it be the cats or exhaust plugged up? Will drilling holes in the exhaust tell me if it is? Also Could it be the dizzy? I'll just buy a whole new one. I'm so done tinkering.