XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New Owner/Member Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New Owner/Member Introduction

Hi all,
Just bought myself a real nice looking 1990 XJS V12 Convertible. I love it, those exuberant proportions are killing me whenever I look at! Anyway, I am looking for a recommendation for a Jaguar V12 independent mechanic in the Detroit area as there are a couple of light clunks under the floor over rough ground, and it does have a couple of light (obilatory) leaks. My son and I may do a lot of the work ourselves, but I could really do with some local back-up Anyone have any ideas?

Best, Norfolk

Attached Thumbnails New Owner/Member Introduction-jag-1.png  
Old 10-02-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Norfolk Enchants
Hi all,
Just bought myself a real nice looking 1990 XJS V12 Convertible. I love it, those exuberant proportions are killing me whenever I look at! Anyway, I am looking for a recommendation for a Jaguar V12 independent mechanic in the Detroit area as there are a couple of light clunks under the floor over rough ground, and it does have a couple of light (obilatory) leaks. My son and I may do a lot of the work ourselves, but I could really do with some local back-up Anyone have any ideas?

Best, Norfolk
Ill tell you what it needs without you needing to pay hundreds of dollars for a diagnosis.

You need to replace all the front suspension bushings. Avoid poly other than in the steering rack. If your lucky you can avoid not doing the lower wishbone bushings. Those are not easy and will take some time and care taken with the spring.

So replace all the bushing, if they have not been done (does not seem like it). A car that age needs it done at this point.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodun
Ill tell you what it needs without you needing to pay hundreds of dollars for a diagnosis.

You need to replace all the front suspension bushings. Avoid poly other than in the steering rack. If your lucky you can avoid not doing the lower wishbone bushings. Those are not easy and will take some time and care taken with the spring.

So replace all the bushing, if they have not been done (does not seem like it). A car that age needs it done at this point.
Thanks hoodun,
Do you know if there is a kit that includes everything that I need to buy?

Also, still looking for a local recommendation for someone to help me with the work?

Old 10-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Eaa
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

For what its worth, I had a pretty loud clunk / rattle from underneath, turned out it was a loose heat shield and a couple screws took care of it. So it can't hurt too look first.

That doesn't mean you don't need the bushings though, with the age of our cars it is likely. I know its on my list, just haven't got there yet.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Firstly welcome to exclusive club (or illness) of XJS ownership. These are FANTASTIC cars once sorted properly. What early front engined V12 sports car (OK grand tourer) can be had for this money.

My guess for clunks under the floor would be the rear transmission mount.

These cars can be worked on by someone with good DIY skills, and it will save you fortune as everything takes time due to the tight packaging. The folks on this site have many years of experience in just about everything regarding the XJS and are more than happy to help out when needed.

So get a set of GOOD jack stands and ramps and your good to go.

Last edited by warrjon; 10-02-2015 at 09:41 PM.