XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Engine harness main connector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Engine harness main connector?

Hey guys,

is there an engine harness connector which will undo ALL the wires in the engine bay which are engine related?

I've noticed that all wires go through the left side (RHD) footwell cover (when removed to fit the pedal box). Is there a main plug under the rubber cover? I would like to remove it and find it hard to believe that all wires are clipped in place after the engine has been fitted... That would require a lot of work... Is there a 'main connector' beneath this rubber hose thingey?

Cheers

Damien

Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Is there a 'main connector' beneath this rubber hose thingey?

I dunno.

For your sake I hope there is.

On the V12 sedans, at least, the main harness is one long, giant snake from the ECU, under the seats and carpets, alog the transmission tunnel, thru the foot well, and into the engine bay. I've attached a pic taken during installation....which was not a 'whistle as you work' undertaking

I should mention that this main harness is primarily fuel injection related. Smaller individual looms are used for a/c compressor, gauges, etc.

Cheers
DD

Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (01-08-2017), orangeblossom (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

No Daim, there is not just one huge plug for it all. As Doug said, the ECU harness is a huge one piece affair that ends up in a number of plugs scattered throughout the engine bay. Then there are Cruise control and cold start timer harness, instrument harness, ignition, etc etc !
Greg

The following users liked this post:
Daim (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Crud... Why does Jaguar do everything different!? Makes it hard to test the wires to make sure they all work and have no interruptions... Darn Jaguar! Be insulted you eletrical designer! Everyone else, even outdated Volvo, had at the timr an enginr harness plug somewhere...

I was hoping to fit the harness on the engine befire reinstalling it all again

Old 01-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Timely post.

I am in process of reconstructing a brand new harness for my facelift car and I was considering adding another connection point just where the car exits the interior and goes out that would make it easier to remove, if I ever had to.

Not sure its a great idea, but I will tell you that there are two other harnesses that need to be removed from the inside if you do decide to pull it out. (Other than the red and black connector that plugs into the ECU) These harnesses seem to be...essentially splice points for sensors under the hood to something other than the ECU.

It's been a pain to track down...

Old 01-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the idea Vee... A possible separation point would be a good idea to remove the engine easier, should it be needed...

Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

I'll toss out a word of warning although I'm not sure if it's entirely applicable to the XJS.

When installing the V12 harness (part the straight 6-to-V12 engine swap) into my Series III I bollixed things up by not orienting things correctly. I installed the harness completely, reattached the tie-downs, reinstalled carpets and seats...the whole job. It was not a simple task.

THEN....

I realized that I had the harness 'rotated' about 90º the wrong way so that, where the wires enter the engine bay, branches of the loom that were supposed to veer to the left were now veering down, branches that were supposed to veer down now veered to the right, etc. Not the end of the world but it HAS caused some problems getting everything hooked up and secured. At some point I'll have to go back and make some wiring changes to sanitize the installation. The other choice is to remove the seats, carpets, etc again so I can un-anchor the harness and reposition it. That ain't gonna happen

The arrangement of things might not be so critical in an XJS.....too many years have passed for me to really remember the lay of the land....but, if you remove the harness, do pay attention the actual physical positioning of things

Cheers
DD