XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Stainless Steel Exhaust for the V12

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Exhaust for the V12

Hey guys,

I know some of you have some stainless steel exhausts and wanted some general input...

I am ordering some stainless steel exhaust downpipes (catfree so they are available) from SNG and will be wanting a stainless system from downpipes back (btw., anyone want some original catfree downpipes? Mine are fine, apart from a small hole, and are original and have been sandblasted so are not rusty).

Bell does build exhausts, but it is 1) a PITA to get hold of someone and 2) they don't really like private customers (at least as far as I have noticed).

My wishes were not a standard XJ-S V12 setup (as you can get from SNG) but a system with NO silencers between the axles (instead a tidy looking pipe) and at the rear, instead of only 1 tailpipe each side, I would like two... To fit two standard factory tailpipes...

Does anyone have this set up? And also: can he/she recommend a place to order from? I don't want to custom bodge setup but instead a nice factory looking "tweaked" system... Diameter etc. the same, just one silencer removed and 4 instead of 2 tailpipes...

Ideas?

Cheers

Damien

Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Daim
SNGB sell the Bell SS exhaust system and it is superb, not noisy, and less restrictive, in my car's case when I changed it, than the OEM system.
AJ6 Engineering sell full SS versions of their own, in a number of configurations all of which are extremely good I have heard. They can be had with NO middle boxes, standard middle boxes, with small straight through middle boxes which reduce noise a bit, special downpipes, and big bore versions, as you prefer. AJ6 will explain what the performance/noise tradeoff is. AJ6 also sell just the required pipes that replace the middle boxes on an OEM system.
In real life I have only heard one car with the middle boxes removed, and it was, to my shell-like delicate ears at least, deafening!
greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 01-18-2017 at 12:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Daim
SNGB sell the Bell SS exhaust system and it is superb, not noisy, and less restrictive, in my car's case when I changed it, than the OEM system.
AJ6 Engineering sell full SS versions of their own, in a number of configurations all of which are extremely good I have heard. They can be had with NO middle boxes, standard middle boxes, with small straight through middle boxes which reduce noise a bit, special downpipes, and big bore versions, as you prefer. AJ6 will explain what the performance/noise tradeoff is. AJ6 also sell just the required pipes that replace the middle boxes on an OEM system.
In real life I have only heard one car with the middle boxes removed, and it was, to my shell-like delicate ears at least, deafening!
greg
Hey Greg,

yeah, SNG sells the Bell system, they don't hide that. I will be buying the Bell downpipes, as I want a totally durable setup. Should last as long as the rest of my old Gal will live... Until it is either hit or catches fire Haha...

I forgot about AJ6 Engineering. Time to ask them some questions. I have asked SNG if I can order an altered exhaust system (as said, Bell doesn't want to answer to me) from them...

Regarding the noise: I can't go crazy with that. Oddly, German TÜV for classic cars doesn't have many limitations regarding the exhaust. You can change a few little parts... So I can go slightly aftermarket but also a little louder.

My desire is a slightly delicate "purr" in a more louder style if you know what I mean. Some more roar when hard acceleration but not loud like these fart cans many Hondas have... Something that makes a nice sound rather than just being loud... Very hard to describe. The system I built for my XJ8 is basically what I want, but more so looking original... And that means clean welds

orangeblossom (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

I had to hear a complete set of stainless steel "Bell" from SNG. I do not like this "ZUM-ZUM". And this "ZUM-ZUM" hear is not from rear. It is from under the car.
(important "ZUM-ZUM" is on the German(Deutsch)

orangeblossom (01-20-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:09 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi FWIW my v12 has extractors, no mid mufflers and has the rear mufflers and is still quiet in normal driving. under hard acceleration it sounds more like a brass band then a V8 growl. I dont think you can get a v12 to sound like an 8.
I was looking for maybe some more intake noise so I took it for a squirt without the airflters and covers - still couldnt hear it. ah well the wife likes it quiet.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hoppy
Hi FWIW my v12 has extractors, no mid mufflers and has the rear mufflers and is still quiet in normal driving. under hard acceleration it sounds more like a brass band then a V8 growl. I dont think you can get a v12 to sound like an 8.
I was looking for maybe some more intake noise so I took it for a squirt without the airflters and covers - still couldnt hear it. ah well the wife likes it quiet.
Course, no V8 sound wanted it was just meant as reference to how I'd like it... Nice sound at idle, not droney inside, when floored it then 'howls' with some bass. Something more throaty...

Old 01-19-2017, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hoppy
hoppy
Bigger intake trumpets on bigger intake tubes to the airbox, plus bigger throttle bodies (XJ40 I think will fit, Grant knows for sure) and foam high flow air filters will do the job for you!
Greg

Old 01-19-2017, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Greg,

Do you have a way of recording your Bell system?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry Daim, I do not, but it is quiet as I hate noisy cars. The intake growl at WOT is a definite aspect of the AJ6 intake mods though, which is fine to my ears. But since I have made my AJ6 cold air intake stuff actually get cold air, that has diminished too.
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Daim (01-20-2017), orangeblossom (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Shame... I wish I could hear something first before ordering...

Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

cat.s are after down pipes..

I was/am most likely order the XJS GT Exhaust from driven man

sound.. use head phones... computer speaker are what they are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7F9U8GHPd4

XJS GT Stainless Steel Sport Exhaust System

this is my favorite street going system...
you just have to get him to share with us what he did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RJliSCVjwI

oh, A nice place to go if you get it all back together by aug.
Jaguar Classic Team

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 01-22-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Neber ever will I be ready by August... I might get a start up sometime but that isn't a drive!

Old 01-22-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Neber ever will I be ready by August... I might get a start up sometime but that isn't a drive!
we had a car sow this week end in Orange Beach. Al. but I Miss placed my Grill.. and the weather was so bad that there are 6 dead... (Tornados 31 of them)
guess it was ok to hunker down here...