XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Steering Wheel and Instrument Swap XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts
Default Steering Wheel and Instrument Swap XJS V12

My 89 XJS V12 has the Sporting Steering Wheel, while my 90 has the thinner Wheel with the Air Bag.

My Favorite Wheel is 'The Sporting' which I would like in 'Burr Walnut' if and when funds allow.

Though I am still very happy with my Standard OEM Sporting, which is circa £450 cheaper than one made of Wood.

Does anyone else have a Favorite Wheel (Pics please if you have them) and would anyone consider a swap to Round Instruments?

This is my Favorite Steering Wheel, What is Yours?

Autostyle by Paul Banham

Air Bag Steering Wheel on my 1990 'Cherry Blossom'

Name:  CH16_zpse59f9927.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  66.6 KB

My Favorite Steering Wheel on my 1989 'Fifty Shades'

It just feels so right!

Name:  XJSApril30th034_zps98a394f7.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  88.4 KB

Old 04-26-2015, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

Morning OB.
Are you sure that's an airbag wheel. It looks more like the 1 my '91 facelift had, a pre airbag style. If it has an airbag it should have SRS embossed on it. I changed mine out for the airbag wood wheel from Myrtle. Looks like the one above, l like it. Had to source the complete airbag system and a spoke adapter from a breakers.

Last edited by malc4d; 04-26-2015 at 06:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d

Morning OB.
Are you sure that's an airbag wheel. It looks more like the 1 my '91 facelift had, a pre airbag style. If it has an airbag it should have SRS embossed on it. I changed mine out for the airbag wood wheel from Myrtle. Looks like the one above, l like it. Had to source the complete airbag system and a spoke adapter from a breakers.
You've got me there Malc

Maybe its not an Airbag Wheel after all! I'll have to have another look next time I uncover her.

In someways I'm hoping its not, as all the time I've been driving her, I've been living in fear that the 'Blinking' thing might go off!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
d would anyone consider a swap to Round Instruments?
Never Never Never, OB. Those barrel gauges are the glory of the XJS dashboard. A piece of automobile art, and also designed in an age where speed was expected and welcomed, so are specially designed so that if the pointers are basically inline or above, all is well. So a quick glance downwards at 135 MPh is all that is required. In the 50s and 60s, standard racing car practice was to have all the instruments so set in the dash that all the pointers were upright at racing revs if all was well. For the same reason.

Lovely car you have, lovely. Keep taking the Lemsip! Though Grant's prescription will do you more good!

Greg

Old 04-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

That's not an airbag wheel on your car. It's the last year before the airbag wheel was introduced. So, it will be easier to get the wheel you want.

As regards, "round instruments"; I like my facelift cluster but I do think that pre-facelift cars look better with their barrel gauges.

However, it's your car, so do whatever you feel like! I'm sure you've learnt by now; Don't ask for a common view on any style issues from Forum members! You just won't get a consistent view because style is a very personal thing and it really doesn't matter if anyone agrees with you!

If you are going for an instrument change, I have heard that it's much easier to fit a Series XJ instrument cluster in a pre-facelift XJS than it is to try and fit the electronic cluster out of a facelift car.

Good luck

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (04-27-2015), orangeblossom (04-26-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

One of my favorite wheels when keeping the airbag is the 1996 Celebration Edition models wheel where it had burl wood on top and bottom and wrapped leather on the sides. I liked it so much I ordered one for my 1995 model of of eBay though the woods more faded than my '96 model and I still need to send it and have the wood re-darkened by Saul at British Autowood in Florida. I have seen a version where instead of black the center and leather wrapped areas matched the creme of the cars seats and I'd like to find one of those for one of my cars.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Never Never Never, OB. Those barrel gauges are the glory of the XJS dashboard. A piece of automobile art, and also designed in an age where speed was expected and welcomed, so are specially designed so that if the pointers are basically inline or above, all is well. So a quick glance downwards at 135 MPh is all that is required. In the 50s and 60s, standard racing car practice was to have all the instruments so set in the dash that all the pointers were upright at racing revs if all was well. For the same reason.

Lovely car you have, lovely. Keep taking the Lemsip! Though Grant's prescription will do you more good!

Greg
Hi Greg

I'm a big fan of 'Art Deco' so would not want to do anything to destroy a piece of 'Art'

So I will take your advice and keep the gauges, even if some of their readings are a little bit 'Skew Whiffy'

But having the right Steering Wheel, is vitally important, as you want to feel connected when you are driving the Car and for me the 'Sporting' Steering Wheel does the job.

I am already close to reaching for the Bottle of JD, which of course is only for Medicinal Purposes but even so I was unable to get it on Prescription.

Just wondering if it actually works, or just makes you forget how bad you are feeling?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 04-26-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Greg in France (04-27-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Good news is then that the wheel you want is here....

JAGUAR XJS / XJ6 / 12 CLASSIC WALNUT STEERING WHEEL. | eBay

Old 04-26-2015, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

That's not an airbag wheel on your car. It's the last year before the airbag wheel was introduced. So, it will be easier to get the wheel you want.

As regards, "round instruments"; I like my facelift cluster but I do think that pre-facelift cars look better with their barrel gauges.

However, it's your car, so do whatever you feel like! I'm sure you've learnt by now; Don't ask for a common view on any style issues from Forum members! You just won't get a consistent view because style is a very personal thing and it really doesn't matter if anyone agrees with you!

If you are going for an instrument change, I have heard that it's much easier to fit a Series XJ instrument cluster in a pre-facelift XJS than it is to try and fit the electronic cluster out of a facelift car.

Good luck

Paul
Hi Paul Cheers!

I was genuinely 'Paranoid' that one day I would be driving along and the 'Blinking' thing would go off without any warning.

So Thank You for that.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy

One of my favorite wheels when keeping the airbag is the 1996 Celebration Edition models wheel where it had burl wood on top and bottom and wrapped leather on the sides. I liked it so much I ordered one for my 1995 model of of eBay though the woods more faded than my '96 model and I still need to send it and have the wood re-darkened by Saul at British Autowood in Florida. I have seen a version where instead of black the center and leather wrapped areas matched the creme of the cars seats and I'd like to find one of those for one of my cars.
I've also got a Wheel like that on my Celebration, which also has the 'Feel' of the 'Sporting Wheel'

But where did you get those 'Cup Holders' as on Friday I had to do a bit of a 'Runner' from an inconsiderate 'Owner' who had a dog on one of those retractable leads, which was at full stretch.

And getting ever nearer to my 'Grey XJS' (50 Shades) having nearly had a couple of dogs jump up on the doors last Summer, this time I just wasn't taking chances and We had to abandon our 'Picnic' and get out of there!

Which meant chucking our Cups of Tea over the Side.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malc4d
Good news is then that the wheel you want is here....

JAGUAR XJS / XJ6 / 12 CLASSIC WALNUT STEERING WHEEL. | eBay
Oooooh That is really tempting!

Thanks Malc

Old 04-26-2015, 04:25 PM

The slopes with cup-holders (as well as my custom shift knobs) in both my cars was made for me by Saul of British Autowood in Florida, he sells them on eBay to order. I also have a shift knob with the Army Rangers crest pin inlaid in the top (though I had to send him the badge piece for that one).

My girlfriend Kirika still dying to see that movie. Was gonna see it with me, her sister, and her boyfriend prior to Kiri being sent back to Afghanistan (USAF Nurse) but then she about cracked up one day saying maybe we all shouldn't go to a 'lifestyle' movie with actual lifestyle people 'cause they'll sit there thru the whole movie critiquing every mistake they made.

orangeblossom (04-27-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Yep, he also has them on the US eBay (in fact he's in Florida)...

1994-1996 XJS;
Jaguar XJS Wood Walnut Burl Ski Slope Console with Cup Holders 1994 1995 1996 | eBay

1988-1993 XJS;
Jaguar XJS Wood Walnut Burl Ski Slope Console with Cup Holders 1988 1993 GM400 | eBay

He also makes them for models other than the XJS, and he's the man I send my wood to to be refinished when it's time.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
So I will take your advice and keep the gauges, even if some of their readings are a little bit 'Skew Whiffy'

But having the right Steering Wheel, is vitally important, as you want to feel connected when you are driving the Car and for me the 'Sporting' Steering Wheel does the job.

I am already close to reaching for the Bottle of JD, which of course is only for Medicinal Purposes but even so I was unable to get it on Prescription.

Just wondering if it actually works, or just makes you forget how bad you are feeling?
Nothing wrong with the gauges that you will not be able to fix over the winter, in a nice warm kitchen on a nice white tablecloth. The Great Palm is very good on this, and it does mean taking the cluster to bits and demounting each barrel, and very carefully cleaning tiny contacts. But, when done, my fuel gauge worked properly and proportionately for the first time for a long time! At least it did once I had a second go and straightened out the pointer!

100% agree with you and PJTS about the steering wheel. As for the JD, as a child of the 60s, the motto is "if it feels good, do it". So who cares if it is one or the the other?

Greg

Old 04-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy
The slopes with cup-holders (as well as my custom shift knobs) in both my cars was made for me by Saul of British Autowood in Florida, he sells them on eBay to order. I also have a shift knob with the Army Rangers crest pin inlaid in the top (though I had to send him the badge piece for that one).

My girlfriend Kirika still dying to see that movie. Was gonna see it with me, her sister, and her boyfriend prior to Kiri being sent back to Afghanistan (USAF Nurse) but then she about cracked up one day saying maybe we all shouldn't go to a 'lifestyle' movie with actual lifestyle people 'cause they'll sit there thru the whole movie critiquing every mistake they made.

I am really drooling over that set up in your Car, it looks Amazing!

But what was the Movie that you were going to see?

Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Cheers Malc

Having that is almost not an option!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Nothing wrong with the gauges that you will not be able to fix over the winter, in a nice warm kitchen on a nice white tablecloth. The Great Palm is very good on this, and it does mean taking the cluster to bits and demounting each barrel, and very carefully cleaning tiny contacts. But, when done, my fuel gauge worked properly and proportionately for the first time for a long time! At least it did once I had a second go and straightened out the pointer!

100% agree with you and PJTS about the steering wheel. As for the JD, as a child of the 60s, the motto is "if it feels good, do it". So who cares if it is one or the the other?

Greg
Cheers Greg

Until I've fixed the ABS on 'The Ice Princess' I don't feel I am up to doing the gauges and in any event have now got used to their 'iffy' readings.

As for that bottle of JD

I am taking one 5mm Spoonful 3 times a day before meals.

Just wondering if 'The Wizard' is thinking that is enough? as I couldn't find any instructions on the bottle.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

There's a number of ways to address the lack of standard XJS cupholders and all have their pros and cons:

- Replacement skislope. Most expensive. Neat-looking, but obviously changes the standard look of the car. Some report that some sizes of cups plus standard travel mugs don't fit in them. Some have also mentioned that the veneer thickness means you can't get the standard switch bezels etc to fit easily.

- x300 / x308 centre armrest. Unobtrusive and looks like it was almost meant to be there. Does require modification of the catch. Also the depth of the cupholder recess to the skislope doesn't make it very practical for cupholding.

- Simple plastic clipon cupholders. Can fit into ashtray recess or over edge of door window recess. Very cheap, but sometimes difficult to find a stable setting.

- Replacement ashtray insert in skislope. Can handle different sizes of cups and can be simply removed to revert to standard. See here: Add Cupholders to Your Jaguar XJ 6 12 Series 2 Series 3 or XJ S | eBay

My choice? I'm still using the simple clipon type. Alternatively I just balance the cup in my lap (usually just before pouring scalding coffee into my groin!). I'm thinking of going for the ashtray inserts above and would be interested to know if anyone's got them.

Cheers

Paul

Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 AM

I've had the ski-slope in 3 XJS now and love it, fits perfect, looks factory (if someone didn't know they couldn't tell). You mentioned thickness but it's actually the same as far as I can tell. I have noticed his newer generation that I got in 2014 is even nicer than the first one I got back in 2008. It is true that 16oz bottles wont fit directly in them but coffee mugs usually do (they often seem to have a thinner base just for cars like that). You can get an adapter from many auto parts stores that slip into them to allow 16oz bottles but I always just buy the new slim bottles or get the new taller 16oz cans they sell everywhere now. When I don't have a drink in it I end up leaving my stereos remote in the left one and often my iPhone in the right one with the screen oriented towards me. My stereo links to my phone so I can talk hands free but I still like to see the actual screen if it rings.

Ever other option I ever tried either made someone hold their knee over or was very unstable, especially with the top down as the container starts to get empty and gets lighter.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel and Instrument Swap XJS V12