XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?

Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 AM
Received 10,285 Likes on 6,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Grant and OB
I bow to your greater knowledge of the subject!

As for me, any talk of getting another XJS would be immediately vetoed by the management, followed by a visit to the Doctor with a view to having me certified.

Greg
That subject came up way back (about 1982), when I had the MK10, and the "spouse" at the time was simply not into cars, let alone a Jaguar, and then the MK10 was simply too out there. Things peaked one day and I was taunted with "The Jag or me", I moved that MK10 on about 2 years ago.

Remarried in 1985.

The Red Beast was our Daily for 16 years, and wifey drove it a great deal. Her "official" car was the XJ12 Sir Arthur, and that was also a DD for 17 years.

The V12's are missed daily, but especially on the open roads, where as good as the S is, it aint no V12.

My solution was to give her the keys, and walk away, let her sort it out, women are clever like that. Once that was got over, there was no going back. She had no issues with another Jag, either engine, as in her mind she knew EXACTLY where I was at any given moment.

IN THE SHED.

So Pizza via the slot in the door, and a LARGE JD, and the odd coffee or 3 kept me very satisfied for a lot of years.

Then arthritis hit, the leg went AWOL, common sense paid a brief visit, and the V12's moved on, as did the other 9, and the 2 S Types is where I am today. It was really an inability to maintain them properly that pushed me to it.

If a nice Daimler 6ltr (X300) or a XJ-S Conv of 6ltr appeared, the temptation may be too great. Since there are less than a handful of either beast down here, I think I am safe for a while.

Getting "her" actively involved has worked for me.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 05-04-2015 at 05:58 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Flint Ironstag (05-04-2015), o1xjr (05-04-2015), orangeblossom (05-04-2015), ronbros (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Orangeblossom!
My wife's 94 XJS is the Jaguar "Oyster" "SDE" color code.
The State of Georgia DMV calls it "Brown".
The supreme authority, "the Wife", calls it Champagne .
I just call it pretty.

Regards,
Bob P O R (Press On Regardless)

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by scarbro2011
Hi Orangeblossom!
My wife's 94 XJS is the Jaguar "Oyster" "SDE" color code.
The State of Georgia DMV calls it "Brown".
The supreme authority, "the Wife", calls it Champagne .
I just call it pretty.

Regards,
Bob P O R (Press On Regardless)
I think I'll call it 'Stunning!' one of the nicest Colors, I have ever seen!

Old 05-04-2015, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
That subject came up way back (about 1982), when I had the MK10, and the "spouse" at the time was simply not into cars, let alone a Jaguar, and then the MK10 was simply too out there. Things peaked one day and I was taunted with "The Jag or me", I moved that MK10 on about 2 years ago.

Remarried in 1985.

The Red Beast was our Daily for 16 years, and wifey drove it a great deal. Her "official" car was the XJ12 Sir Arthur, and that was also a DD for 17 years.

The V12's are missed daily, but especially on the open roads, where as good as the S is, it aint no V12.

My solution was to give her the keys, and walk away, let her sort it out, women are clever like that. Once that was got over, there was no going back. She had no issues with another Jag, either engine, as in her mind she knew EXACTLY where I was at any given moment.

IN THE SHED.

So Pizza via the slot in the door, and a LARGE JD, and the odd coffee or 3 kept me very satisfied for a lot of years.

Then arthritis hit, the leg went AWOL, common sense paid a brief visit, and the V12's moved on, as did the other 9, and the 2 S Types is where I am today. It was really an inability to maintain them properly that pushed me to it.

If a nice Daimler 6ltr (X300) or a XJ-S Conv of 6ltr appeared, the temptation may be too great. Since there are less than a handful of either beast down here, I think I am safe for a while.

Getting "her" actively involved has worked for me.
If I had to choose between the GF and my XJS's there would be no Contest, the GF would have to go.

I really am that 'Shallow!'

Fortunately that is unlikely to happen, as when we are driving around in them, She seems to think that everyone's looking at Her, when obviously they only have eyes for the Car.

I think She may be suffering from 'Delusional Princess Syndrome' for which there is no cure!

Grant Francis (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts
Default electric Jag XJS,, KKOOOLL

Originally Posted by Safari
I have two now and plan to add at least one more. Why?

My black '90 is my daily driver.
My '89 will receive a more extensive restoration and will be more of a show car (but still driven).

The third XJS will be built as a pure show car with body mods, custom paint and a complete drive train change. I'm going to convert it to full electric. I'm currently looking for a nice '89-91 convertible that has a bad or missing engine to begin the project.

If I buy any others it will be for parts or for trading up.

Mark
MARK great idea,ELECTRIC xjs!

1 mile from wher i live, guy just finished building a 1967 Mustang,FULL ELECTRIC.

stats; 0 to 60 MPH 2.4 seconds, 0-100 mph 5.5 seconds, top speed at the TEXAS standing mile 174 mph, 156 mph at the half mile!

all times recorded and certified.

i had my XJS at his shop, for measuring and fesability, he said very doable, he even quoted a price for conversion!!!!

any way some pix of his car 1967 Mustang fast back.

Attached Thumbnails Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?-electric-mustang-002.jpg   Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?-electric-mustang-001.jpg   Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?-electric-mustang-004.jpg   Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?-electric-mustang-003.jpg   Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?-electric-mustang-005.jpg  

Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?-electric-mustang-012.jpg   Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?-electric-mustang-013.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by ronbros:
Flint Ironstag (05-04-2015), orangeblossom (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking

In the 3 dimensional matrix formed by convertible vs coupe, 6 cylinders vs 12, and gothic vs facelift, there will always be at least a pair of ideal XJS models to complete the desired enthusiast experience. At the top end, a truly discriminating (certifiable) maniac could argue for as many as 8 cars, but let's not go there.

In my mind, therefore, the optimum number of XJS Jaguars to own is two. Which two is simply a matter of taste. In my case, if I has my pick, I think I'd take a straight-6 gothic convertible and a V12 facelift coupe.

I think that would do it, hahaha...

The following 2 users liked this post by kurtomatic:
Flint Ironstag (05-04-2015), orangeblossom (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Grant and OB
I bow to your greater knowledge of the subject!

As for me, any talk of getting another XJS would be immediately vetoed by the management, followed by a visit to the Doctor with a view to having me certified.

Greg
Greg

You're missing nothing!

The previous GF was 'Lumped' and came complete with a Full set of 'Tats' and one of those 'Bolts' through Her Tongue.

She was nothing but trouble an absolute PIA and I felt like Certifying myself for going out with her.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kurtomatic
In the 3 dimensional matrix formed by convertible vs coupe, 6 cylinders vs 12, and gothic vs facelift, there will always be at least a pair of ideal XJS models to complete the desired enthusiast experience. At the top end, a truly discriminating (certifiable) maniac could argue for as many as 8 cars, but let's not go there.

In my mind, therefore, the optimum number of XJS Jaguars to own is two. Which two is simply a matter of taste. In my case, if I has my pick, I think I'd take a straight-6 gothic convertible and a V12 facelift coupe.

I think that would do it, hahaha...
In my Case it was love at first sight, as soon as I saw '50 Shades' my Grey XJS I had to buy her.

But when I saw the 'Ice Princess' my Arctic Blue XJS I had to turn up the 'Willpower' Not to buy her to the MAX!

The only problem being that She was a one owner Car, that had done almost no mileage and also had more Services FMDSH than you could shake a stick at.

So Willpower went out of the Window along with a Shed load of Cash and She didn't even have an MOT.

So She was in a way a bit of an impulse buy.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros

1 mile from wher i live, guy just finished building a 1967 Mustang,FULL ELECTRIC.

stats; 0 to 60 MPH 2.4 seconds, 0-100 mph 5.5 seconds, top speed at the TEXAS standing mile 174 mph, 156 mph at the half mile!

i had my XJS at his shop, for measuring and fesability, he said very doable, he even quoted a price for conversion!!!!

Imagine those stats in an XJS that would be totally Awesome!

Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

at his shop he asked if i wanted a ride in Mustang, HEY why not!

OK i have owned and driven just about every muscle car from the 50s, 60s, 70s.

also driven some NEW CLASS muscle cars, supercharged Camaros, supercharged Mustangs, ridden in some new vettes, and they are totally awesome cars.

but never since i drove a rail dragster , have i been in such an encredable burst of torque and acceleration!!!!

torque at the motor 1800 lbs.ft. at 0 rpm, at 5 mph 1500 ft lbs, your eyes water at that level of sheer PERFORMANCE

orangeblossom (05-04-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 08:39 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts

Hi Ronbros,

Please check your PM's. I'm hoping you can provide some more information about the builder of the Mustang.

Thanks!

Mark

ronbros (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Safari
Hi Ronbros,

Please check your PM's. I'm hoping you can provide some more information about the builder of the Mustang.

Thanks!

Mark
mark sorry late, i will get some information about the electric cars, being built here.
ron

Old 05-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I need a second XJS because I'm thinking about changing my existing lumped XJS in to a pro gasser. Lol

Old 05-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
I need a second XJS because I'm thinking about changing my existing lumped XJS in to a pro gasser. Lol

sounds like good idea ,as long as you use a GM BBC 572 cu.in engine, close to 10 Liters of torque!

Chevy sells them as crate engines, and at a reasonable cost, and tons of ancillary parts available! good old GM, Jag would have passed on if GM didnt help on componet parts!

Ford stepped up and saved Jag(as we all know), and TATA is the best yet,(hard to beat unlimited money).

Old 05-21-2015, 01:50 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I dont have unlimited money. But I do have an unlimited imagination. I'll probably go with bbc. 475+ hp. 500+ ft lb torque. Add a 2 stage nitrousoxide kit. That should be enough. I'm 50 now, not 20.

ronbros (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Yup, as I've mentioned a few times, the drag strip is going to feel one of the earliest and biggest of electric technology impact/shock. I can almost see it.

Cheers,

ronbros (05-22-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Yup, as I've mentioned a few times, the drag strip is going to feel one of the earliest and biggest of electric technology impact/shock. I can almost see it.

Cheers,
I just wanted to add something about the unbelievable "quietness" of the electric power plants. I remember riding in electric power public transportation and this always impressed me: this big, heavy "trolley" on rubber tires taking off from stopped with unbelievable torque that glued one to his seat back and, yet, no sound, no motor noise, no gear noise, just the breeze around the humongous square brick body. Any other equivalent transportation with internal combustion engine would be screaming and sweating bullets to achieve similar feat. I suppose that those drivers were as impressed as I was...LOL

Now, let's say we're at the drag strip and two electric-power dragsters are doing their routine tire smoking for road adherence, only that most of what you'd hear would be coming from... the tires and not from the whatever exhaust decibels; ditto for the race, itself.

And, finally, just picture your XJS with this '67 Mustang's equivalent fully electric power plant and doing similar 2.4 seconds 0 to 60 stints IN TOTAL QUIET fashion. Just think about that for a minute, as it is, indeed, pretty impressive stuff and something radically different from whatever we're used to in the car world.

Cheers,

Old 05-22-2015, 06:21 AM
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

Now that Mr. Elon Musk and Tesla Motors have gotten the electric motor/battery combo
down to an affordable cost (?). The conversion to electric power will make some sense
moneywise for daily transportation.
There have been some interesting developments
in the Lithium battery that can make it deliver 10X more power and have more recharge
cycles for the life of the battery simply by changing the physical composition of
the battery. This new way of making the battery also prevents the battery from overheating
and catching on fire or exploding.

I would go for a Tesla-Jaguar XJS conversion.
I see that the Mustang is using 2 electric motors on each rear wheel.
Would that type of conversion be possible for the XJS?
Or would a single electric motor driving the regular driveshaft work as a daily driver?

I would guess in 10 years electric vehicles will be the norm for daily driven vehicles.
And a lot of them will be self driven !
You might even have to get a special permit to drive your own car and to use
petroleum based fuel motors.
20 years from now will we be even permitted to drive ourselves anymore?
Much less use a gasoline engine !
Enjoy the XJS now before it is too late ! The END is NEAR !
Where is my tinfoil hat with the Jag Leaper on it ?

ronbros (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forcedair1

Cheers,

this morning i was at the local tire shop, and the electric Mustang(Zombie 222), was there having some super grip soft race tires put on rear!

said going to the drag race track today(weather permitting), and looking to get his 0-60 time of 2.43 down to 1.99 seconds 0-60 mph ,recorded and certified!
Yes a 1967 Mustang fast back street car !

said he would settle for a couple tenths tho!!LOL. Yikes, good golly miss molly, she sure likes to ball !

Attached Thumbnails Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?-electric-mustang-001.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Received 313 Likes on 205 Posts
Default And then there were three....

So my insanity continues.....I bought my third convertible today.

Color: HEN - Jaguar Racing Green
Trim: AFW - Barley

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pics. I will take better ones once the car can leave the shop under its own power.

The PO was not able to make the engine run properly. I could tell that he hated to sell it but his wife was tired of looking at a non-running XJS sitting in the backyard.

The car is in really good condition and most of it is original. I'm pretty sure I can get it running. It just needs a through going over.

Don't tell my wife!

Mark

The following 2 users liked this post by Safari:
Flint Ironstag (06-02-2015), orangeblossom (06-02-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is There Any Justifiable Reason For Owning More Than One XJS?