XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

V12 studs - source?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default V12 studs - source?

Hi all,

I'm currently building up a V12 for racing. Naturally most of the head studs are knackered from years of sitting in water, and some of them are knackered from me pulling them out. At any rate, I want to replace the entire lot.

I'd also like to replace the main cap studs, and I'm feeling partial to replacing the rod bolts as well, as I suspect this engine's going to see some heavy use...

I'd like to use ARP studs wherever possible, as I believe these are THE fasteners to have (but I'll listen to advice on other makes); ARP's website doesn't list anything at all for Jaguar, and Roger Beere's site only lists studs for the 3.8 and 4.2 engines; and rod bolts only for "the 6 cylinder" (no mention of size)...

With that in mind.... where's my best source for a set of ARP studs & rod bolts? I'm based in the UK, but will be in Chicago, IL for 1 week later this week, if there's a place near there which would sell them off the shelf.

Cheers!
Ade.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

When you find out, let me know! Also, I think if you get a list of the sizes required (as in length and width), and the thread types each end (not the same I think), ARP could probably put a set together from stock. Please post how you get on. Stock new rod bolts are available, shockingly dear at 24 quid or so each, and I believe they will be fine. The big end caps are the weakest part of the bottom end if you have sustained high revs in mind, according to Alan Scott, whose book about the racing TWR XJSs is a fantastic guide to the engine and what it can do. He was TW's engine building genius.

Greg

Greg

Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
ronbros (09-02-2015), xjsv12 (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

Off top

Where to find Alan Scott book about the racing TWR XJS?

Nikolay

Old 09-02-2015, 03:04 AM
Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xjsv12
Off top

Where to find Alan Scott book about the racing TWR XJS?

Nikolay

Had the same question, and here is the source:

New TWR and Jaguar's XJS by Allan Scott Hardcover Book Free Shipping | eBay

The following 2 users liked this post by JagxkFan:
AdeV73 (09-02-2015), xjsv12 (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 04:25 AM

Thanks! Bought a copy.... now just got to wait for it to float half way around the world...

Re the head studs; I'll keep searching...

Old 09-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by AdeV73
Hi all,

I'm currently building up a V12 for racing. Naturally most of the head studs are knackered from years of sitting in water, and some of them are knackered from me pulling them out. At any rate, I want to replace the entire lot.

I'd also like to replace the main cap studs, and I'm feeling partial to replacing the rod bolts as well, as I suspect this engine's going to see some heavy use...

I'd like to use ARP studs wherever possible, as I believe these are THE fasteners to have (but I'll listen to advice on other makes); ARP's website doesn't list anything at all for Jaguar, and Roger Beere's site only lists studs for the 3.8 and 4.2 engines; and rod bolts only for "the 6 cylinder" (no mention of size)...

With that in mind.... where's my best source for a set of ARP studs & rod bolts? I'm based in the UK, but will be in Chicago, IL for 1 week later this week, if there's a place near there which would sell them off the shelf.

Cheers!
Ade.
there are a lot of good race shops around Chicago, check around

Old 09-20-2015, 01:18 PM

Update:

The book arrived Just need to find time to read it...

Still working on finding some ARP fasteners. ARP themselves recommend XKSS.com, but so far I've had no reply from them. Might go back to ARP...

I didn't find anyone in Chicago who could help, unfortunately, so back to t'interwebs it is...

Old 09-21-2015, 10:29 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by AdeV73
Hi all,

Cheers!
Ade.
Ade,

Call up Walt at Vintage Jag Works in Idaho, he's built some killer motors for me and has done a 7L V12 for one customer. He'll know either a contact at ARP for measurements or a substitute for the same. Just google his site..

Good luck..

Jeff