XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Vinyl Gloves for Working on your XJS

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,598 Posts
Default Vinyl Gloves for Working on your XJS

I've noticed over recent years that there has been a trend, towards People using Vinyl Gloves for working on their Cars.

Which is something I've never done until I came across some in a Shop Yesterday and having now tried them while working on my XJS I found them very useful and amazing!

The only ones available in this particular Shop were the Non Powdered Type, so I got those, only to find out later that they also make Powder Coated ones as well.

Does anyone else use these? and why would anyone use the Non Powdered Type, as I had to tip some Powder inside, in order to get them on easily.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

OB,

Many folks are allergic to the powder and to Latex. It is a skin irritant.

I use black Nitrile gloves, they work great an no need to powder.

You can buy a box from your local parts guy, or hospital supply / they come in a few sizes.

Cheers,

Jeff

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 672 Posts

I don't know about in the UK, but here we have a chain of tool stores called Harbor Freight that sells cheap, junk tools from China. Ok, well some of their stuff is of tolerable quality but most of its junk. One thing they do have though is thin nitrile gloves in boxes of 50. I stock up on the 9 mil heavy duty ones when they are on sale. They're not powdered but not too hard to get on. Just puff them full of air first.

I guess its better than having grease under the fingernails. The only downside to wearing these gloves tho seems to be that my hands get rough and dry, maybe from sweating in the gloves all weekend and then drying out. Then I have to endure the scratchy cuticles the rest of the week or use some kind of lotion.

orangeblossom (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Broken_Spanners
OB,

Many folks are allergic to the powder and to Latex. It is a skin irritant.

I use black Nitrile gloves, they work great an no need to powder.

You can buy a box from your local parts guy, or hospital supply / they come in a few sizes.

Cheers,

Jeff
Hi Jeff

I never knew that!

I'll look out for some nitrile ones in future.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pdupler
I don't know about in the UK, but here we have a chain of tool stores called Harbor Freight that sells cheap, junk tools from China. Ok, well some of their stuff is of tolerable quality but most of its junk. One thing they do have though is thin nitrile gloves in boxes of 50. I stock up on the 9 mil heavy duty ones when they are on sale. They're not powdered but not too hard to get on. Just puff them full of air first.

I guess its better than having grease under the fingernails. The only downside to wearing these gloves tho seems to be that my hands get rough and dry, maybe from sweating in the gloves all weekend and then drying out. Then I have to endure the scratchy cuticles the rest of the week or use some kind of lotion.
Hi Phil

No problems with them so far but for me at least they were a lot more comfortable, if I put some powder in them first.

Is Nitrile stronger than Vinyl?

Old 07-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts

I sell gloves at the dental supply company I work for.
The nitrile gloves are best. The are more resistant to chemical leaching through the material and are non-allergic.
The powder works as a lube to make glove go on better.
The powder on the latex gloves carries the latex protein airborn and into the lungs increasing the chance at latex allergies.
A latex allergy will cause the skin on your hands to go red and crack.

orangeblossom (07-04-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I use them a lot. I think I got the idea watching Wheeler Dealer.

I use nitrile. I used latex initially but nitrile is more available, so that's what I use now. Buy boxes of 100

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

It's natural for me to work in gloves in the shop because I wear gloves in my work all the time. These are my Favorite Work Gloves.

The only time gloves in the shop were ever a hindrance for me was trying to feel ring ridges when I was in college and other delicate procedures, like starting brake tubing fittings. I always do those things bare handed, along with various Photo-Ops in these forums.

Gloves are Perishable Items in my world, (along with work shoes) and there are always at least two boxes of blue nitrile in reserve...

so I don't damage my trade mark red nails in the shop.

(';')

Old 07-04-2015, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bc xj
I sell gloves at the dental supply company I work for.
The nitrile gloves are best. The are more resistant to chemical leaching through the material and are non-allergic.
The powder works as a lube to make glove go on better.
The powder on the latex gloves carries the latex protein airborn and into the lungs increasing the chance at latex allergies.
A latex allergy will cause the skin on your hands to go red and crack.
Thanks

I was probably lucky that I got the non powdered type and then used my own.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
I use them a lot. I think I got the idea watching Wheeler Dealer.

I use nitrile. I used latex initially but nitrile is more available, so that's what I use now. Buy boxes of 100
Yeah!

I bought a box of 100 Vinyl non powdered.

I never used to wear gloves, except for doing heavy duty stuff but it sure saves washing your hands!

Old 07-04-2015, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
It's natural for me to work in gloves in the shop because I wear gloves in my work all the time. These are my Favorite Work Gloves.

The only time gloves in the shop were ever a hindrance for me was trying to feel ring ridges when I was in college and other delicate procedures, like starting brake tubing fittings. I always do those things bare handed, along with various Photo-Ops in these forums.

Gloves are Perishable Items in my world, (along with work shoes) and there are always at least two boxes of blue nitrile in reserve...

so I don't damage my trade mark red nails in the shop.

(';')
Cheers Elinor

I will look out for that type in the future.

LnrB (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

In my experience, it's worth experimenting with a few boxes of different types until you find a type that you prefer.

I fought against using gloves for years, and ideally would still prefer to work bare-handed. I found it really difficult to find gloves that were absolutely skin-tight such that I could maintain the feel necessary to work blind or with delicate fittings, but which would remain resilient when in contact with petrol etc. For me, working with loose gloves is a waste of time and potentially dangerous.

In the end I decided that fit was the most important aspect and that I would just keep putting on a new pair every 30 mins as they fell apart. Also, you have to change them every time you want a cup of tea anyway, and putting used oily ones back on is a waste of time.

Paul

Old 07-04-2015, 03:51 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

i now wear gloves for almost every task on the car,

for messy jobs i wear nitrile ones, don't like the Latex powdered or non powdered

for heavier jobs i use a nylon glove with a PU coating to the fingers and palm , this gives enough feel for spannering work without issues, i also use them every day for my work as an electrician

constantly used gloves will vastly improve the health of your hands as most oils and fluids used in vehicles are carcinogenic

i even find myself walking all the way back to my garage from the car just to put on my gloves as it doesn't feel right without them on now

another thing of note, when working for the DCRE at an RAF base, we introduced a glove policy for all work , provided different types and grades of gloves for different tasks , and our accident rate went from 5 or 6 reported hand injuries per month ( workforce of 40+ ) to ZERO , they do make a difference, even most large building sites have a glove policy these days

there is also a pair of my Nylon PU type gloves in the boot of each car just in case a wheel etc needs changing unexpectedly , these below
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Pairs-H...item48803ecdea

BB

Last edited by Brake buster; 07-04-2015 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:01 AM
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Yep have to wear PPE for work so as a matter of habit always wear gloves when working at home, as others have said the nitrile ones are the best for fiddly bits, I also use
something similar to these as well which are elasticized cotton with the palm and fingers coated in nitrile rubber stuff for general work (they wont rip and provide protection against skinned knuckles etc) they last a while for home use and the nitrile means they grip well.

I'm lucky I get them from work for free.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I am with Paul. I can't manage the fiddly stuff with latex or nitrile. Fiddly includes starting 9/16" bolts to support the "new' starter in my lump. Never mind the teeny trigger wire nut on the solenoid.

I do have several other gloves. Tight rubbery ones, looser leather ones and then armor! The latter are rough side out leather welder's gauntlets. Also useful in pruning thorny blackberry vines and roses!!

I've washed my hands in mechanic soap of many kinds, dating back to Lava bars.
Because of a skin condition, I use a moisturizer. Creamy lie stuff prescribed by my dermatologist. Works sorta to clean up greasy paws as well.

Dirt under the nails, just scrape and wash with a brush. Clip to order. A bit long isd easier to get clean and then clip.

Rassled with air lines and supplementary compressor and aired up the Jaguar's tires. All four ridiculously low!!! But cranks and starts beautifuly. Electric tidy to do yet and then button up.

Sure could use a washing, though!!! in view of ur drought, not sure just how to manage that

Carl

Old 07-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

In my experience, it's worth experimenting with a few boxes of different types until you find a type that you prefer.

I fought against using gloves for years, and ideally would still prefer to work bare-handed. I found it really difficult to find gloves that were absolutely skin-tight such that I could maintain the feel necessary to work blind or with delicate fittings, but which would remain resilient when in contact with petrol etc. For me, working with loose gloves is a waste of time and potentially dangerous.

In the end I decided that fit was the most important aspect and that I would just keep putting on a new pair every 30 mins as they fell apart. Also, you have to change them every time you want a cup of tea anyway, and putting used oily ones back on is a waste of time.

Paul
With the amount of Tea that I drink, I'll probably be using 100 pairs a day!

But I've only just got into Gloves (pun intended) as I'd rather just wash my hands.

Though having given them a try, I can see the advantage in some situations.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brake buster
i now wear gloves for almost every task on the car,

for messy jobs i wear nitrile ones, don't like the Latex powdered or non powdered

for heavier jobs i use a nylon glove with a PU coating to the fingers and palm , this gives enough feel for spannering work without issues, i also use them every day for my work as an electrician

constantly used gloves will vastly improve the health of your hands as most oils and fluids used in vehicles are carcinogenic

i even find myself walking all the way back to my garage from the car just to put on my gloves as it doesn't feel right without them on now

another thing of note, when working for the DCRE at an RAF base, we introduced a glove policy for all work , provided different types and grades of gloves for different tasks , and our accident rate went from 5 or 6 reported hand injuries per month ( workforce of 40+ ) to ZERO , they do make a difference, even most large building sites have a glove policy these days

there is also a pair of my Nylon PU type gloves in the boot of each car just in case a wheel etc needs changing unexpectedly , these below
12 Pairs High Quality Black Nylon PU Safety Work Gloves Builders Grip Gardening | eBay

BB
Hi BB

I quite like the Leather 'Riggers Gloves' for doing heavy stuff but these very flimsy Vinyl ones, take some getting used to.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dave1109971
Yep have to wear PPE for work so as a matter of habit always wear gloves when working at home, as others have said the nitrile ones are the best for fiddly bits, I also use
something similar to these as well which are elasticized cotton with the palm and fingers coated in nitrile rubber stuff for general work (they wont rip and provide protection against skinned knuckles etc) they last a while for home use and the nitrile means they grip well.

I'm lucky I get them from work for free.
I can see it won't be long before I start to build up a vast collection of different types.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
I am with Paul. I can't manage the fiddly stuff with latex or nitrile. Fiddly includes starting 9/16" bolts to support the "new' starter in my lump. Never mind the teeny trigger wire nut on the solenoid.

I do have several other gloves. Tight rubbery ones, looser leather ones and then armor! The latter are rough side out leather welder's gauntlets. Also useful in pruning thorny blackberry vines and roses!!

I've washed my hands in mechanic soap of many kinds, dating back to Lava bars.
Because of a skin condition, I use a moisturizer. Creamy lie stuff prescribed by my dermatologist. Works sorta to clean up greasy paws as well.

Dirt under the nails, just scrape and wash with a brush. Clip to order. A bit long isd easier to get clean and then clip.

Rassled with air lines and supplementary compressor and aired up the Jaguar's tires. All four ridiculously low!!! But cranks and starts beautifuly. Electric tidy to do yet and then button up.

Sure could use a washing, though!!! in view of ur drought, not sure just how to manage that

Carl
Down my way they use 'Swarfega' just love the smell of that Stuff, or at least I used to but I'm into the GF's Atrixo hand cream now.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

in all honesty and joking aside

i use a barrier cream , and then my Nylon PU coated gloves, just like the picture above in a fellow post , if I'm in for a coffee , the hands get washed with simple soap , the gloves and the cream ensure no heavy grime, so no need for the swarfega type products , as these will get rid of the grime, and also dry your hands out no end, and then your hands are susceptible to getting infections and skin conditions,

nothing ' non male ' about wearing gloves for working on cars....

and the wife appreciates my ' softer ' hands to

BB

Quick Reply: Vinyl Gloves for Working on your XJS